http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:18:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a fool. And a sucker.  (Read 3385 times)
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:10:41 AM »

I've been fighting the urge so strongly.  And I just failed.

I hated CS, but after the 700mb videos available for download on FilePlanet, I wa suckered in.  

That and I really want to try DoD:S and HL1:S  (I think I'm more excited about HL1:S than I am HL2).  So dammit.....You know what happened.

If anyone wants to play with me, let me know.  My steam name is "maassen"  (Two A's and two S's!).

That and I really wanted a sneak peak of the Source engine before HL2 comes out.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:15:58 AM »

The Source engine is, in my opinion, incredible for how good it can look and all the little tricks it can do without killing FPS.  I'm very pleased with my Silver Pre-order...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 04:19:45 AM »

In the videos I watched (Just an actual recording of people playing, no fancy advertising), someone complained that there was some sort of weird lag in the Source engine.  But shortly there after, they were all praising how great it was.

Just curious, does CS:S have bots?  I mean, could I set up a local (private) server just to practice against them?  I thought I heard it did and that they suck, but I'm more concerned about learning the maps before I try any major online play, considering I never got into the original Counter-Strike.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 04:24:28 AM »

Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing last night, and thoroughly enjoyed CS:Source for about 45 minutes. I dont know if source does have bots or not, but the Silver package contains Condition Zero, which I played for about 20 minutes and actually moderately enjoyed.

So far, presuming Half Life 2 is anywhere near as good as PC gamer says it is, combined with the chance to play Half Life again with brand new graphics and DOD Source, this Silver package looks freaking awesome.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 04:26:24 AM »

Actually, I think I'm more excited just to play Half Life with an updated graphic and physics engine than I am for HL2.  But I haven't read the PCGamer review, and as far as I know, HL2 could be 100x the game HL1 was.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 04:37:22 AM »

In my experience, and this is going to sound strange, the Source Engine needed some time to "settle in" on my system before running extremely well.

This was probably due to the fact that the game wasn't too happy with me forcing it to flush all its textures over and over while I tweaked settings.  I'd recommend spending a gaming session tweaking the engine to your liking, then totally restarting your system before actually playing with those settings.  As always, be sure your virus protection and such is disabled before playing too.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:39:35 AM »

Stop it....STOP IT!!  Auugh.....with HL2, Halo2, Vampire Bloodlines, and more on the horizon I don't need this early...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:57:46 AM »

I just finished playing 2 hours of CS:S.  It's freaking awesome.  I've been playing beta on dust for months now, but the other maps offer so much more than Dust.

Sadly, I think my CS addiction as returned.

Thanks ATI smile

Wake up.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 02:41:20 PM »

I'm gonna wait and buy the retail DVD. If I'm gonna pay I want Media and whatever they put in the box..

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 03:19:19 PM »

Quote from: "RookieCAF"
I'm gonna wait and buy the retail DVD. If I'm gonna pay I want Media and whatever they put in the box..

Or you can just order the Gold package and they will ship the box, media, & other goodies to you.

How does this work again?
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »

Hop into #GG Val, Darkfyre, Sam and I are all playing it.  Orph has an ATI ticket, but I don't think he has downloaded it yet.

I think Office is the best done map for the new physics and such.

Quote from: "wankerjr"
Quote from: "RookieCAF"

Or you can just order the Gold package and they will ship the box, media, & other goodies to you.

I'm pretty sure the gold version does NOT get game disks, just a box and a bunch of other stuff.

For me it came down to 50+Tax for the boxed version with only CS and HL2, or 60 with no tax for silver with a ton of stuff.  I like boxes, but in the end they just sit there.  As far as installs go, I think I would rather just download it then install the 6 or whatever disks it comes on.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »

Question - are they going to include TFC:Source as well?  I was always a bigger fan of TFC than CS...

Thanks!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 05:21:50 PM »

I think Team Fortress would be a great thing to have remade with a modern engine, but I haven't really heard anything about it.

There is the whole Team Fortress 2 rumor, but I have magazines that date back to the 90s that have screenshots of it, but still no game.  (Or I could swear it was back in the 90s).

We'll see, though.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »

Quote from: "Valael"
I think Team Fortress would be a great thing to have remade with a modern engine, but I haven't really heard anything about it.

There is the whole Team Fortress 2 rumor, but I have magazines that date back to the 90s that have screenshots of it, but still no game.  (Or I could swear it was back in the 90s).

We'll see, though.

Yeah, I remeber that too -  I think the website is still up too...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 09:38:58 PM »

A couple of the dev profiles on Valve's site mention that they are there to work on TF 2 so I'm guessing that the project is still alive.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 11:15:13 PM »

I bought the Silver package too - but my problem is I never really played any of the old HL mods (i.e. CS, DoD, etc).

Anyone know where I could find a good online guide to how to play CS:Source? i.e. perhaps something with maps of the different levels,  level strategies, or a breakdown of all the weapons?

Thanks!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 11:24:09 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
I bought the Silver package too - but my problem is I never really played any of the old HL mods (i.e. CS, DoD, etc).

Anyone know where I could find a good online guide to how to play CS:Source? i.e. perhaps something with maps of the different levels,  level strategies, or a breakdown of all the weapons?

Thanks!
Just FYI, CS:Source is almost the same as the original CS.  Thus most strategies will translate over pretty well.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 05:20:56 AM »

Yeah it really is almost the exact same game.

There's very slight differences in certain areas, but overall it's just old CS with new graphics, sound, and physics. All of which is more than enough to renew my addiction.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 02:21:28 PM »

Quote from: "Pyperkub"
Quote from: "Valael"

We'll see, though.

Yeah, I remeber that too -  I think the website is still up too...

As I recall TF2 was originally billed as a followup to Halflife that was supposed to ship a few months after HL1.  I... guess they missed the ship date on that one... smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Raven_13
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 02:26:10 PM »

I think I'm going to be a fool and a sucker myself tonight.  biggrin  I too am just as or more excited about playing HL1:S than I am HL2, though I hope HL2 does blow away HL1 as PCGamer says (haven't read that review yet though).
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 05:19:58 PM »

One of the cool things with Steam is that once it's installed you can play all of the originals without having to download them.  I clicked "Half-Life" on my 'play games' list last night as I was curious how big of a download it was and less than 10 seconds later I found myself on my way to work, sitting on the tram watching Black Mesa go by, drinking my morning coffee...

Amazing how well that game still holds up  biggrin  Can't wait to see it in Source!

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 10:54:24 PM »

The silver option is very very tempting, but I have such a backlog its not funny. I'll probably pick up the import DVD version of the base game and not look back. The more I think about it the more I realize I'll never play most of the stuff included.

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: