http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:40:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd hold off on buying any new portable machine anytime soon  (Read 2819 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:23:49 PM »

The current rumor mill, which was incidentally started by a CNN report, is circulating that Nintendo will announce the Gameboy Evolution at E3, and the current rumors are what I've been saying for years, Condensed Cube Hardware with a that High Quality Screen Nintendo has been developing.

The rumors go on to state that Nintendo will start pushing the DS as a Palm like device, they've recently licensed Palm Software, that plays N64 quality games. Sound like they Trojan Horsed themselves into the Palm/PDA market using a more games based machine.

Rumor finally states that the GBEvoltion or whatever the hell it's called will be connectable to the Revolution and will have 2 analog sticks and the rest of the Cube buttons, as well as play Cube games.

Personally, I think it makes sense, but somewhere in the back of my mind I have trouble buying it. It'd be a coup if they pulled it off without pissing off the entire fanbase of new DS owners. It'd be interesting to see if Nintendo acknowledges anything in terms of the Next Gameboy and E3. I can definately see them doing this, but it seems too soon.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:43 PM »

Please, no.  My pocketbook can't take any more of this.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 11:51:31 PM »

Here's the article:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Mostly speculation, although it does seem to imply that this won't be a retooling of the Advance SP, but will instead be a generational ungrade.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 11:56:10 PM »

I love my cube, but it barely has 2 analog sticks.  I can't wait to see where they'd place a portable Z button.

I don't see too many developers supporting four formats, GBA, DS, PSP and EVO.  It would seem that the DS would lose out.  An announcement like that would seem to kill DS sales so you'd think they'd have to hold off as long as possible.  E3?

So we're talking disk drive, better screen and cube guts but keeping the price $99-150 and having better battery life than the PSP?  Right.

If it can directly play cube games, that means they can't repackage and resell them as EVO editions.  That doesn't make much sense either.

Although I could see Nintendo wanting to panic people into not buying a PSP, but that's not their usual MO.  Wait and see.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:11:12 AM »

Well considering that I was starting to pinch pennies for a PSP or DS, I've decided to completely hold off until E3 now. No need to rush and while they may Announce it at E3 we may not see it untlil 2006 along with the Revolution...

If any company can retool the Cube into a portable machine. On top of that Nintendo wouldn't be trying to repackage games instead they would be able to reduce development costs for the new platform as a lot of teams would have Cube development experience. On top of that, end users would pretty much only be paying for the screen as Cube hardware costs and parts are next to nil and Nintendo would also be able to remove more parts to make it cheaper and more portable.

Considering what they want to do with the DS, Online, Microphone etc. it would lend one to start thinking that bringing out a New GBA would be possible.

It's still a shaky rumor but it's caused me to not even think DS or PSP anymore.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 12:18:34 AM »

It's still a shaky rumor but it's caused me to not even think DS or PSP anymore.

Wow, so shaky rumors of a new Nintendo portable cause you to not even think about two real and very popular portables?

Interesting. Personally, I think Nintnedo has lost a lot of the magic they once had. They keep relying on the old standbys (ie. Mario, Zelda) and very little else. The DS launch has been pathetic and the software support for the Cube has been...err...lacking.

The glory days of Nintendo are fading fast....but hey, keep holding onto that dream Tebunker! I still remember how you used to gush about the Cube and how "Nintendo had changed" back at GG before the launch of the Cube.  smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 12:34:29 AM »

You know, a few weeks back I was mulling over the problems Nintendo has had with the DS, and the upcoming PSP launch that looks so promising, and the one idea that occured to me was: You know, I bet as March approaches, Nintendo will leak some wild rumors about a new even better handheld to distract people from the PSP.

Here's my bet:

This is a rumour started by Nintendo to try to distract people from the PSP launch.

The idea of a portable GameCube is so "out there" that it's laughable! This sort of idea is not in line with the way Nintendo develops systems or promotes them. Nintendo has always approached these things in a very slow, methodical way that doesn't stray from their business plan. Let me ask you this: When have you known Nintendo to spring some big surprise on us in a short period of time?? Either software or hardware?? That just isn't how they do business!

There will be no new Nintendo handheld this year! You can take that to the bank! And until I hear official word from the Big N, I will take everything else to be just rumors.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 12:36:46 AM »

Hetz
When you go back and re-read all the interviews from 4 and 5 years ago it seemed like they had their shit together, they dropped the ball and like I said in another post I'm the first to point it out. Hell the only reason I support my Cube so much is because the controller feels best in my hands versus the others, if it didn't I'd probably be a PS2 owner with a littel Xbox on the side. It has nothing to do with customer loyalty, from the first time I picked up the cubetroller it felt natural and comfortable in my hands and so I picked that as my platform of choice. I don't get hand cramps like I do with the Xbox or PS2 controllers and Wavebird just sealed the deal. Honest to god you give me a more comfortable controller on another platform and I'd get rid of my Cube today.

The main reason I won't think about the other 2 handhelds now is because it will make me want one more, I'd love the DS just for the improved look of GBA games, and the PSP will be awesome, especially once it's more affordable.

However, I don't want to plunk down 150 to 250 bucks on a new handheld to have Nintendo announce that the next GBA will be out at the end of the year beginning of next year, be $99 bucks and oh btw it plays your old Cube games. I don't think there's  anything wrong with waiting until May to make any decisions. And yeah that sounds crazy and flies against their History, and I am even a strong believer that past history is a good predictor of future behavior, but Nintendo IS backed into a corner and they seem desparate to me and desparate people do desparate things.

Finally
Nintendo doesn't need to come back to make me happy, they just need to stop giving gamers blue ball syndrome with all their quotes,rumors and promises. I'd be satisfied to see them come through one time, they don't need to be number one, just show that they listen. Hell I sound like the person in an abusive relationship, "I can change them, I know I can" I have already decided that I am not buying a next gen machine for atleast 8 months or more after launches, just tired of being lied to.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 12:38:51 AM »

If it played GC games and had video out (in addition to being portable) I would reserve one tomorrow.

We shall see...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 01:41:59 AM »

Irregadless of your reasoning, I think you're wise to wait Tebunker and see where all the chips fall before you make a purchasing decision.  And besides that, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.  When I hear stories of people doing silly things like importing PSP's for almost double the reported MSRP, I just shake my head.  Maybe it's just me but I don't see what having a PSP RIGHT FRICKIN' NOW is going to do for you.  

Anyway, I'm not terribly into portable gaming and will probably pass on all of them but I'm starting to get a little concerned with how fast each generation of console hardware is becoming replaced.  I smell a disaster slowly brewing.  The video game market is experiencing boom times but are we just inflating up a bubble so fast that it'll eventually explode?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 01:48:20 AM »

Keep 'em coming!!

Although you could hold off on everything forvever if you're always waiting for the next big thing.

Seems like Nintendo is ascared!  :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 01:51:10 AM »

all joking aside Devil, I think you're right, and if they're scared enough they may just do something stupid crazy like the above rumor... which I will admit has all ways been a pipedream of mine for the Cube...

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 02:25:35 AM »

god i wish i owned a company that made tiny lcd screens
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »

Frankly, even if Nintendo makes another portable system, there's more games for the PSP that I'm interested at launch than Nintendo's whole GBA and DS library.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 07:36:13 AM »

Is a portable Gamecube even realistically possible?  Assuming Sony was pushing for the best graphics they could get for the PSP, they only managed graphics somewhere between PSOne and PS2 quality.  It just doesn't seem possible to me that Nintendo managed to get better than PS2 graphics on a handheld, much less a $99 one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 07:59:30 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Is a portable Gamecube even realistically possible?  Assuming Sony was pushing for the best graphics they could get for the PSP, they only managed graphics somewhere between PSOne and PS2 quality.  It just doesn't seem possible to me that Nintendo managed to get better than PS2 graphics on a handheld, much less a $99 one.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me.  Gamecube has always had a relatively small footprint compared to the other consoles and Nintendo has been able to sell their hardware cheaper than their competitors while always making a profit off of each unit sold.  $99 seems to hard to believe but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that the basic Cube hardware could have been shrunk sufficiently in the four years since the Cube's release.  This would assume the footprint is closer to the DS or PSP than a GBA, of course.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »

Considering the standard of Nintendo's DS launch line up, I won't be holding my breath for their next handheld. At least Sony seems to know what it's doing.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »

From what I've read, the PSP is so close to a PS2 as compared to a PSOne as to basically be a PS2. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo could then, likewise, release the GB Evolution and have it be a mini-GameCube.

Nintendo has been working on the next Game Boy for a while now, so I'm not sure why the possibility of a new one should be surprising. And as for the thought that it would conflict with the DS, well, Nintendo has stated from the start that the DS is the good ol' third pillar, and so Nintendo shouldn't have a problem releasing a new Game Boy so quickly after releasing the DS.

Does anyone know how big a GameCube disk is compared to a PSP UMD? I wonder if Nintendo is clever enough to have designed the GameCube disks that size from the start with the intention that they'd be used in a portable unit. Could that have had the foresight to do such a thing?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 02:00:03 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
I
I don't see too many developers supporting four formats, GBA, DS, PSP and EVO.  It would seem that the DS would lose out.  An announcement like that would seem to kill DS sales so you'd think they'd have to hold off as long as possible.  E3?

I remember those same arguments when the Xbox was coming out.  Developers won't want to program for three major consoles so one of them has to fail....etc.

Developers seem to have found a way to make it cost effective to do cross platform development for the big consoles so I bet they can for the portable market as well.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Wow, so shaky rumors of a new Nintendo portable cause you to not even think about two real and very popular portables?

Interesting. Personally, I think Nintnedo has lost a lot of the magic they once had. They keep relying on the old standbys (ie. Mario, Zelda) and very little else. The DS launch has been pathetic and the software support for the Cube has been...err...lacking.

The glory days of Nintendo are fading fast....but hey, keep holding onto that dream Tebunker! I still remember how you used to gush about the Cube and how "Nintendo had changed" back at GG before the launch of the Cube.  smile

I agree 100%.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 07:58:36 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Hrothgar"
I

Developers seem to have found a way to make it cost effective to do cross platform development for the big consoles so I bet they can for the portable market as well.

The 3 'big consoles' are all pretty much equivalent - they are all in the same generation.

With handhelds they are not. They current portable market spans 3 generations of 'big systems':

GBA = equivalent to the SNES
Nintendo DS = equivalent to the N64
PSP = equivalent to a PS2
Nintendo's theoretical new handheld = equivalent to a Gamecube.

I would think you could get away with doing some cross platform dev on the PSP and Nintendo's new pipe dream. But throwing the DS and GBA into the mix just won't work.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 08:12:01 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

The 3 'big consoles' are all pretty much equivalent - they are all in the same generation.

With handhelds they are not. They current portable market spans 3 generations of 'big systems':

GBA = equivalent to the SNES
Nintendo DS = equivalent to the N64
PSP = equivalent to a PS2
Nintendo's theoretical new handheld = equivalent to a Gamecube.

I would think you could get away with doing some cross platform dev on the PSP and Nintendo's new pipe dream. But throwing the DS and GBA into the mix just won't work.

Maybe it wouldn't work.  I am not a coder so I have no idea about the technical hurdles.

I will say though that I would be willing to bet that is if it is profitable to put out games on all those platforms companies will do it.  Their goal is profit so if it can be done they will.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »

You guys think that, if the GameCube Boy came out, Nintendo would still support the GBA?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 10:25:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
You guys think that, if the GameCube Boy came out, Nintendo would still support the GBA?

I think GBA support is pretty much dead anyway.  While there are still plenty of new releases aimed squarely at the kid's market, I can't think of very many "major" titles that have been announced.  In fact, the new Fire Emblem (already a port of a year old Japanese title) is the only game I can think of remaining for this year.  Most of the other key GBA franchises have already announed DS incarnations.  I think Zelda: Minish Cap served as a last, big title for the GBA the same way that the Zelda: Oracle games were for the original Gameboy.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 10:29:52 PM »

GameCube Boy.

LMAO
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 10:34:14 PM »

So there you go. The GBA is dead. Long live the SuperGameCube Boy Entertainment SP System Advance.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 01:37:22 PM »

Is there a new wario ware game coming out for the GBA? I think it has a motion sensor in it like that kirby tilt and tumble game.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2005, 12:08:38 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Is there a new wario ware game coming out for the GBA? I think it has a motion sensor in it like that kirby tilt and tumble game.

WarioWare Twisted! due out April 25.  It does indeed have a motion sensor and rumble motor.  Instead of (or in additio to) the buttons, you just rotate the entire GBA.  Over 200 mini games included.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »

How will Nintendo deal with analog triggers?
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2005, 08:57:45 PM »

I'd be shocked to see a portable device that plays console game from a recent generation.  The size of the display is all wrong.  Even if it had equivalent resolution, the size of the text would render a lot of games unplayable.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 09:22:46 PM »

Apparently it's cool to hate on Nintendo again.  Oh well, I'm sure the new Zelda will suck just like all of the previous Zeldas sucked on both the Cube and GBA.  Much like the current/previous iterations of Metroi/Zelda.  I guess I will just go back and play Pikmin 2 or some other unoriginal, rehash of a game... if only they had something original like a new sci-fi or WW2 FPS I could play....

And don't get me started on those non-existant 3rd party killer exclusives like Resident Evil 4....

Nintendo sucks.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: