http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperthreading?  (Read 1218 times)
Victoria Raverna
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:21:12 AM »

I remember there were time when Creative SB Live driver have problem with dual processors or Hyperthreading, but I thought all problems should be solve by now since Pentium IV with HT has been available for over a year now. And when I got my current gaming rig which has a 3.2E Pentium IV(Prescott), I just left the Hyperthreading on.

So if you have Pentium IV with HT, do you leave it on or turn that feature off. What is the advantage or disadvantages of turning it off or on?
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:25:48 AM »

I have tried it on and off with my P4C 2.4.  I have found that, in multitasking, my computer seems to respond a little bit quicker when it's on.  But it doesn't show up on benchmarks, so maybe I'm imagining it, I dunno.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 08:44:38 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I have tried it on and off with my P4C 2.4.  I have found that, in multitasking, my computer seems to respond a little bit quicker when it's on.  But it doesn't show up on benchmarks, so maybe I'm imagining it, I dunno.

I think that was understandable since even with HT, there is only one processor core so it'll run just as fast as non HT processor when it runs only one task. When it is running multitask, HT help reduce the need to copy and store the processor registers before switching tasks.

Since Windows is a multitask OS and there is always something running in background, I think HT should help Windows run faster even in a single task application like benchmark, but the a speed difference in that case is too small to be measureable.

Now as a gamer, is the more responsive Windows and unmeasureable speed advantage when running games outweight the small possibility of badly coded low level drivers have bugs with HT.
how786
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 12:12:21 PM »

When you turn hyperthreading ON, XP actually sees it as 2 separate processors. You can view this in the hardware n monitor in XP.
 BTW, I will never again buy a SB card.
 When I was running Win 98, I had many problems with (I thought) the OS. It was only after many months that I read a posting regarding the numerous issues that existed between SB cards and the particular chipset (VIA) my MB had. These issues really gave me hell for about 6 months. And, I was blaming Win98.
  Finally, back then, I switched to a totally different card (Hercules) and my problems all vanished in an instant.

How786
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:10:19 PM »

Quote from: "Victoria Raverna"
I remember there were time when Creative SB Live driver have problem with dual processors or Hyperthreading, but I thought all problems should be solve by now since Pentium IV with HT has been available for over a year now.

Nope - all the Creative SB Live driver issues are caused by Creative themselves as they're all too fucking lazy to get off their fat asses and write updated drivers more than once a year (if even that).

That said - I'll NEVER EVER buy another Creative product again. My motherboard supports surround just fine (although I doubt I'll ever use anything more than 2), and it'll keep me away from Creative.

Their driver support sucks. Period. Absolute worst in the industry.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 04:52:06 AM »

I had major issues with my old SB Live! 5.1 regardless of having it in both an AMD XP system and a P4 HT system. I was certainly leery on buying another Creative product. But after reading reviews, I still didn't think any of the competitor's sound cards were that great and so I ended up buying an Audigy 2 ZS. With the exception of City of Heroes not letting me use the better sounding "Performance mode" without eventually blue screening, I have had zero issues with this card. The CoH problem is a documented bug that still hasn't been ironed out by CoH and Creative.

So in answer to the original poster, I have a 3.2Ghz P4EE with hyperthreading enabled, running Creative's driver version 5.12.1.444, and like I said above, no problems so far.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »

I've always had issues with SB/Audigy cards especially trying to run EAX.
I have had several games crash and lockup due to their drivers.

I have not had a single problem with sound using onboard 5.1

So until they can prove that they can build and support a quality product, I am sticking with onboard sound.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 09:59:09 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Their driver support sucks. Period. Absolute worst in the industry.

Agreed.  Unless you buy a brand new card, good luck getting any kind of support via the official drivers.

Onboard sound has been solid as a rock for me.  Might not have all the bells and whistles (which I don't use), but I haven't updated the drivers since I installed Windows.  No problems whatsoever.

Quote from: "DamageInc"
I've always had issues with SB/Audigy cards especially trying to run EAX.
I have had several games crash and lockup due to their drivers.

I have not had a single problem with sound using onboard 5.1

So until they can prove that they can build and support a quality product, I am sticking with onboard sound.

Does EAX ever work?  Seemed like a load of shit to me.  Looking at various support docs, it seems every game reccomends you turn it off if you have any problems.

Like you said, onboard sound is fine for me.  If I needed anything professional I'd get a real card for that.

(I did like the LiveDrive breakout boxes when I was into case modding)

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: