http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 03:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Would You Improve the DS Lite?  (Read 1036 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:02:01 AM »

If you were on the design team and could improve the handheld from a hardware perspective, how would you do it?

1. Be able to get to the system menu from within a game: so you can check what time it is, adjust the brightness etc without having to back out... power down, power on, make the changes, insert the cartridge, power back on etc.

2. Be able to boot a game from the systems menu.  Basically, if you start the DS with no game in, you have to power it back down insert the cartridge and power back on

3. Onboard memory.  I'm fairly positive, despite its small stature, that they could fit some kind of onboard memory.  I'm not asking for much, but some would be nice.  This would allow you to save demos from DL stations and or maybe a song or too.

4. Move the headphone jack to the back. Not too troublesome, but it is in an awkward place

5. Have an option to bypass the safety warning on every boot up.  Good golly.  Please let me toggle it off.

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:04:23 AM »

I'm half surprised you didn't say "make it pinker".
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:28 AM »

Some sort of analog control.  Super Mario 64 DS is just painful with either the d-pad or the touch screen.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:19:11 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 08, 2007, 03:02:01 AM

5. Have an option to bypass the safety warning on every boot up.  Good golly.  Please let me toggle it off.

I really do hate that.

My biggest complaint is I get hand cramps way too easy with it. Especially with action games. I just can't play it for long periods of time. I guess they can't really fix that though without making it bigger.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »

I would make it easier to hold on the hand...After an hour, my hands just hurt.  Maybe also make it 8 directional pad instead of 4 way pad.

The other stuff that ATB mentioned are annoying and should be on the top of any DS designer...hence why I'm using the supercard (Kobra knows what I'm talking about  icon_smile).  The safety warning can also be removed if you are willing to flash the DS's firmware (you can do it using a toothpick, alluminum foil, and scotch tape).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 08, 2007, 03:19:11 AM

I really do hate that.

My biggest complaint is I get hand cramps way too easy with it. Especially with action games. I just can't play it for long periods of time. I guess they can't really fix that though without making it bigger.

same as with the Wii..what is it with nintendo?

i didnt like it how when you played a GBA game the cartridge stuck out and you had to take off a 'cover' to put it in there

and i would also make the DS compatible with the gamecube so i can use it with Wind Waker and crystal chronicals,because i was one of those who traded in my old GBA to get the DS,and was gutted i couldnt still connect it via the wire i had

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »

Design a volume control "slider" that actually works!

Mine always slides from barely audible to earsplitting - usually in the crapper at work  icon_wink
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 08, 2007, 08:43:50 AM

I really do hate that.
same as with the Wii..what is it with nintendo?

Lawsuit protection and nothing more.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »

Bigger D-pad
Shift the center of gravity to the left and change the case shape to make it easier to hold in the left hand while stylusing in the right
Good old fashioned volume dial instead of slider
Some way to change brightness in-game
Make GBA cartridges fit
Ouendan 2
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »

Make it compatible with Gameboy Color games. 
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »

I really do hate that.

I was discussing this with a friend at work, he received a DSL for Christmas.

Their is a 3rd party 'base' made for this, it has larger, round handgrips (here is one with added storage, and one with additional batteries).  I'm thinking about getting one, since my hands are way too big for the little DS Lite.  Depending on the game/control settings, various parts of my hand can get cramped after a long time playing.  The worst is a game like Metroid, where you will be holding down the corner button for extended periods of time.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 04:19:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on January 08, 2007, 03:53:20 PM

I really do hate that.

I was discussing this with a friend at work, he received a DSL for Christmas.

Their is a 3rd party 'base' made for this, it has larger, round handgrips (here is one with added storage, and one with additional batteries).  I'm thinking about getting one, since my hands are way too big for the little DS Lite.  Depending on the game/control settings, various parts of my hand can get cramped after a long time playing.  The worst is a game like Metroid, where you will be holding down the corner button for extended periods of time.

Those are pretty cool!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »

After the initial "this thing is too small!" when I downgraded from the regular DS to the Lite, I really have no complaints aside from two issues that are specific for me:

-hinge crack (I don't feel like going through the process of getting another...)
-high pitch sound when I first plug it into my charger

It really is *portable*, and I like that.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »

I haven't had the hinge crack, but that almost-a-dog-whistle recharger seriously annoys me.

But yeah, the portability can't be beat.  And multi-player gaming is so damn simple!  I was joking with a friend, telling him I was getting my DS implanted in my arm.  I take it with me almost everywhere.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:41 AM »

What high-pitch sound are you guys referring to?  I don't hear that when I recharge my DSL?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 08:39:47 AM »

no mine doesnt make any noise at all when recharging...just an...er...orange light comes on i think

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 12:44:54 PM »

The DS Lite is perfect. What's wrong with you people!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »

Quote from: Austin on January 08, 2007, 03:04:23 AM

I'm half surprised you didn't say "make it pinker".

Hah.  Burn.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 06:58:07 PM »

Quote from: Zero on January 09, 2007, 06:25:41 AM

What high-pitch sound are you guys referring to?  I don't hear that when I recharge my DSL?

It seems to be a defect in a few power chargers.  I asked about it a month or two ago, and was kind of surprised how many other people had the problem.

I expect it to eventually burn out.  Maybe I should email Nintendo and see if I can get a replacement before it catches fire and burns my house down.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »

Get rid of the silly friend code system for online play.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 09, 2007, 07:00:15 PM

Get rid of the silly friend code system for online play.

+50

Nintendo really needs to fix that, and give a unified gamer ID.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: