http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How was Doom 3 on the X-Box  (Read 819 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »

I was somewhat interested in Doom 3, but my PC wasn't beefy enough to run it.  Since the X-Box version just dropped to $20, I'm looking at possibly picking it up.  The reviews were pretty good (87% on Gamerankings), but I wanted to get the collective GT opinion before I did so.  

Yea or Nay?

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:41:03 PM »

I loved it - unfortunately, I don't play PC games, so I'm no help with a comparison there.  

It has it's weaknesses as you've probably already heard.  You can't use the flashlight at the same time as a weapon - annoying, but it certainly added to the tension level.  Some people complained of repetition in levels  - true, you went back and forth through many of the same areas.  That didn't bother me, since I'm always lost and I actually started to figure out the areas - plus monsters would jump out at you when least expected and make you jump out of your socks.

I think the people most bothered by the repetition and "same old/ same old" are folks who've played a lot of Doom and Quake already.  I was pretty new to both series, having never played them on the PC, and I also hated the non-inversion-ability on the N64, so I didn't play much there either.

I would say, that if it was the LE/ CE and you get the ability to play the old Doom as well, it's definitely worth $20.  If not, it would still be worth it to  me - to you? Probby - if you can play console FPS's without griping about the targeting system, lol...  :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:04:27 PM »

No graphics man. I thought it really brought down the experience. Part of it with the PC version was that it was just so real because the graphics were state of the art. I felt there really was something missing.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 10:06:31 PM »

Most people I heard talk about it said it was better on Xbox than on PC.  The port itself is fantastic from what I've seen.  It's amazing what they crammed into that box.  I was already knee deep in the PC version when it came out so I never tried it extensively myself.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:24:36 PM »

I'm not a big FPS game (I think the last console one I played was Republic Commando), so I definately don't suffer from FPS 'overkill'.  I think I'll give it a shot.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 03:24:23 AM »

I think you'd be better off by going out and grabbing a copy of Halflife. Did it ever come out for the Xbox?  Or just the PS2?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 05:13:59 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

I think the people most bothered by the repetition and "same old/ same old" are folks who've played a lot of Doom and Quake already.

Nah, that's not the problem with the game at all.  It just suffered by poor level design and lack of any gameplay depth.  The environments initally seem pretty cool but after a while you realize that Delta Lab is no more different than Alpha Lab in terms of look and layout.  And the monster enounters offer such lack of variety it becomes numbing.  

It's kind of neat for a while and I don't regret having bought it but the best I've been able to do is make it halfway through before becoming too bored to play it anymore.

I thought Quake 4 was a *much*, *much* better experience.

And if you are really set on a FPS for the Xbox then I think Half Life 2 is a much better bet than Doom 3.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »

Played for about 3 hours last night, and ended up pretty unimpressed.  While the graphics are stellar, the combination of repetitive environments and extensive backtracking make the game pretty dull.  Once you get past the 'wow' factor, it's just really not that much fun.  Bought it used, so it'll be going back tomorrow afternoon.

I am, however, really enjoying the Doom RPG cell phone game.  It's a perfect time-killer for 10-20 minute stretches, and it quite fun.  How sad is it that I enjoy the cheap little cell phone game more than the multi-million dollar version?

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Played for about 3 hours last night, and ended up pretty unimpressed.  While the graphics are stellar, the combination of repetitive environments and extensive backtracking make the game pretty dull.  Once you get past the 'wow' factor, it's just really not that much fun.  Bought it used, so it'll be going back tomorrow afternoon.
Yeah. Good call. I thought the same thing, but forced myself to finish it just so I could see how it ended.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: