http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 06:02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to clear the 360 HD cache?  (Read 779 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:27:05 AM »

I started up Oblivion again, and I recall there being the need to refresh the HD cache every once in a while. That, or I forgot how freaking long the loading is in this game, Imperial City is beginning to drive me mad.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »

Hold down the A button as the game is loading. I couldn't recall myself off the top of my head but the power of Google is astounding......
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

Well, for Oblivion specifically -

1.) reset your Xbox
2.) hold down the A button as the game is booting up.

Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is loaded, and the cache should be cleared.

Edit - beat to the punch by Americanidol!  (Vote Sanjaya!)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:52:39 PM »

You know, I meant to write this down when I saw it here, and now can't find it.  If you want to clear the cache, not specifically for Oblivion, or maybe it was resetting the XBOX, I can't remember - wasn't there another way, a more complicated way?

I'm worried about all the updates that FFXI goes through, plus the few that XB Live does, as well as Oblivion - which I really do play occasionally, lol!

A llink to the original, or a new answer, anyone?

Thanks!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »

hiya myto Tongue icon_biggrin icon_smile icon_lol ...how are you?..and hows the linkshell?

i remembered about some silly code some people were putting in so i had a look for you and found this page

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/09/xbox-360-hdd-cache-clear-code-discovered/

HEXUS.gaming reports that a cache clear code has been discovered for the Xbox 360 hard drive via the dashboard's system blade. To perform the function, access 'memory' in the system blade, and then highlight the hard drive. Now press: Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. The following message should appear: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"

If you initiate maintenance, the hard drive's cache will be cleared, including all software updates. Theoretically, this function could be used to un-update Oblivion in order to regain access to the unlimited gold and item duplication glitches. Note: we have not tested this function.

NOTE: be aware about what it says clearing all software updates....to be honest i would give this amiss,just incase...or get someone else to do it?...try it on another 360 first, if your other one has the hard drive as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »

Thanks, Metal!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...  had another go-round with the sinus infection... grrrr!  I think you are right  about giving this one a miss though, it's too scary for me.  The part I liked the best was:

Note: we have not tested this function.
   disgust   

Also a few people mentioned in the replies that various updates were wiped as well.  Seems more like they are pretty much wiping the HD, not defragging or clearing caches, or something less dangerous.

So, the next time I play Oblivion I will clear it's cache, as I'm not sure I got it quite right last time... and let some poor slob on a FFXI forum report what happened when he tried the HEXUS trick.  The thought of possibly "disappearing" all updates and game saves ( icon_eek) is too much to contemplate - that and the amount of time it would take to download everthing again as well.  Roll Eyes

And the LS is doing great, btw, we've found a few of our lost sheep and added lots of folks, working on everyone's Rank and Fame, blah blah blah.  Btw, lol, about a third of the LS is British, so you know!  Oh, and thanks for the mail - that was a super nice surprise!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 02:11:44 AM »

I think the cache it is talking about clearing is the system area where it keeps the pagefile and updated executables for games.  That would mean the next time you insert any game that had an update (or an original XBox game) it would have to download the update for that game (or BC) again, but that's about it.  As far as I know it shouldn't affect the user portion of the hard drive at all, so your save files, profiles, downloads and everything should be fine. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: