http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the hell do I play HL 2 offline???  (Read 1145 times)
DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:13:20 PM »

I don't have any ram to spare, and steam is sucking some of my much needed memory. The reference card says that an offline mode will be available if the remember my password box is checked on the steam log-in page. How do I get to there? What do I need to do?
DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:18:22 PM »

Just wanted to say, that I changed my password thinking that I would see the, "remember my password" box. I didn't. Grrrr. I think it's nonsense that by default it runs steam in the background. I hope I can get around this.
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 07:19:28 PM »

Go to the game under 'Play Games'.  Right-click it, go to Properties.  If it says 'Offline Mode Ready', you're good to go.

If you're offline and you start Steam, it'll detect that you're offline and give you access to your games based on the saved password.  If you're online, it will never go to offline mode without some nifty firewall tricks.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 07:20:54 PM »

Quote from: "DevoutSinner"
Just wanted to say, that I changed my password thinking that I would see the, "remember my password" box. I didn't. Grrrr. I think it's nonsense that by default it runs steam in the background. I hope I can get around this.

If Steam is running without asking you for a password at start, and going straight to the background, you're good to go anyway; remembering your password is the default behavior.  If you don't like that, there's a box in Settings that says 'Don't remember account information on this computer.'

DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 07:37:18 PM »

Did as you suggested, went to play games, found HL 2, right clicked on it,clicked properties, and there isn't an option for offline mode. And no, it doesn't prompt me for a password. There is a tab for launch options. I click that and it opens up a blank box. Am I supposed to type, "offline", in here??? This is ridiculous.
DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 08:54:37 PM »

Ok, it says "offline ready". Does this mean it's not going to go online when I start the game? I'm not sure I understand this. Is there no way to get around the little steam icon sucking my ram? Does that have to be running in the background in order to play???
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:58:48 PM »

I think Steam only takes up 17 megs of memory.  I seriously doubt that 17 megs is going to make any difference whatsover on performance.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 09:01:57 PM »

Look, you can't run HL2 without Steam, okay?  If you start up Steam in the absence of a Net connection, it runs in offline mode.  There's no way around running Steam.  Steam can run offline, but HL2 can't run without Steam.

If you physically take that jack and yank the cord out, then start Steam, it will start in offline mode.  Otherwise, you have no choice.  If you're online, it logs on.

Edited to add: Unless you've put in the -heapsize option, HL2 won't use all of your available RAM anyway.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 01:32:54 AM »

all you have to do is right click on the network icon in your system tray and select disable.  This disables your internet, and it will bypass steam.  

I don't see why that's so difficult smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: