http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 05:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the PS3 Closed The Gap on The Xbox 360  (Read 902 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »

When the Playstation 3 launched back in 2006 to a host of software issues and hardware criticism, it was difficult to imagine a day in which such a negatively evaluated console would surpass the mighty Xbox 360 and all of its streamlined features.

Five years later, Sony and gamers across the globe may in fact see that day sometime soon.

Microsoft stated that sales numbers in October pointed toward an estimated 57.3m Xbox 360 consoles sold worldwide. The latest financial statistics from Sony now say that the PS3 has reached 56m units, placing the console just 1.3m units behind the Xbox 360.

Not only did the 360 have quite the head start (360 launched in November of 2005, PS3 in November 2006), but the PS3’s early days were littered with issues that were highlighted both by users and critics alike. Initially, the PS3's digital distribution was anything but smooth, and additionally the console always seemed to be on the short end of the stick when it came to porting multiplatform titles.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/featured/how-the-ps3-closed-the-gap-on-the-xbox-360/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »

Too bad it doesn't include stats on how many PS3's werent' bought or used to play games.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 12, 2011, 11:23:41 PM

Too bad it doesn't include stats on how many PS3's werent' bought or used to play games.

Why does that matter?

I'm fairly certain the PS3 has outsold the 360 by a wide margin in Europe and Asia.  Which isn't much of a surprise.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

http://attackofthefanboy.com/featured/xbox-360-has-biggest-october-in-history/

And yet...

Sales figures for the Xbox 360 in the month of October suggest that the company had its biggest October on record heading into the holiday season.  The console managed to hold of the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii yet again, holding a 44% share of the overall current generation console market.

The company sold 393K Xbox 360 units in the month of October, and maintains its position as the number one console in the U.S. for 2011.  Microsoft and the Xbox 360 have grabbed more than 40% of the U.S. market share each of the last eight months.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:45:18 AM »

Better first party games.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

I don't think that console unit sales tell the whole story. I understand that Sony and MS also get a cut of the software sales. I wonder which system has made the most profit or least losses as the case may be.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »

And MS has made far more off of XBL Gold subscriptions than Sony has made off Playstation Plus.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 12, 2011, 11:52:32 PM

Why does that matter?

'cause this is a gaming forum? smile

I'm fairly certain the PS3 has outsold the 360 by a wide margin in Europe and Asia.  Which isn't much of a surprise.

Asia, at any rate.  Europe is pretty evenly divided between the two, with the PS3 having a slight lead.

This has been an interesting console cycle for numerous reasons.  While I don't think either the 360 or the PS3 will catch up with the Wii by the time all three next gen consoles are out, it will probably be much closer than anyone could have predicted at the outset of this generation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:41:22 AM by Laner » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »

I couldn't give a rat's ass who is winning the console wars.  As a gamer I just want to benefit from the competition.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »

How many 360s were second purchases to replace faulty first purchases?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »

Too bad it doesn't include stats on how many 360's were re-bought because the original, second, third and fourth broke down or because the fan was too loud. smile

@The Grue - Gah! 12 seconds, are you kidding me?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:55:36 AM »

On a more serious note, PS3 Japan and Europe must be kicking some ass because the 360 just trounces the PS3 every month in the USA.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:03:35 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 13, 2011, 01:55:36 AM

On a more serious note, PS3 Japan and Europe must be kicking some ass because the 360 just trounces the PS3 every month in the USA.

Well, the 360 sells like 0 units in Japan monthly, so it's not hard to beat it in that location.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:19:56 AM »

Oh Really?

MS replaced, literally, tons of 360s for the RROD. As someone who went through 11 consoles, I speak with authority on it.

I've bought 2 360 consoles total (the last one being an S model boxing day last year).

The problem was (for the most part) that they weren't replacing the faulty consoles with a new console free of issues. Two of the replacement ones I got were sent right back due to refurbished models with other problems.

The last refurb they sent me still works - I had traded it for an Elite (for HDMI) with a family member who had failed to tell me he tried to mod it (therefore when it e74'd, no support). I didn't want to go back to the white one so I just got a second one.

I *hate* the 360 for media streaming. When it comes to gaming though, it's my console of choice. I enjoy my PS3 for media streaming and some exclusive gaming (not much though).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:21:09 AM »

Also, considering the 360 has very bad sales in JPN, that would indicate a bigger gap exists for english gaming.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 02:36:29 AM »

The article states that Home is a commonly overlooked great feature that should become the standard for future consoles...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 03:50:23 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2011, 02:36:29 AM

The article states that Home is a commonly overlooked great feature that should become the standard for future consoles...

I found little use for it, but I don't game much on it.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »

I noted this quote:

" Its huge storage capacity of 50 GB BD (5x the storage of today’s DVDs) is also not a bad addition for developers who are intimidated by the idea of releasing their product on multiple CDs."

Multiple disks. Not CDs. Say what you mean; mean what you say.

The article is trying to be news, but really it isn't. I'd like to see game attach rates for each before analyzing the "gap".

Fact of the matter is that people do NOT buy 360's as DVD players - a DVD player for 50bux (or at this point BD players) is a far easier thing to rationalize over buying something for several hundred. PS3s are purchased as blu-ray only players. My dad has a PS3, so do three of my co-workers who use them for BD and streaming exclusively. One of them sold me their controller since they aren't using it.

Sad thing is, that means that Sony has lost money based on those sales (assuming BD purchases are low) since there is no game licensing that makes up for hardware sales loss.

It would be the same as saying flat-head screwdrivers are more popular than phillips or robertson - but people generally use flat-head to pry stuff open (like paint cans) and prefer to NOT have flat-head screws. I specifically replace the screws, but I still have the screwdrivers. Damned paint cans.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:59:17 AM by Purge » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 12, 2011, 11:52:32 PM

Why does that matter?

I'm fairly certain the PS3 has outsold the 360 by a wide margin in Europe and Asia.  Which isn't much of a surprise.

The PS3 sells considerably more games than the 360 in Europe.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »

Yeah my 68 year old dad has a PS3 for Blueray and streaming stuff etc but would never ever play a game on it.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »

Go back to 2005 and tell someone in 2011 Sony will just barely be catching Xbox sales with the Playstation after being the clear leader in sales the past 2 generations /w the PS/PS2. They probably would have laughed. MS has made great strides in competing with Sony in spite of problems like the RROD.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2011, 12:45:18 AM

Better first party games.

This! I love my PS3.  nod
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 13, 2011, 01:53:03 AM

How many 360s were second purchases to replace faulty first purchases?

lol, spoken like a true red ring of death participant.

I threw mine in the trash and bought a ps3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: