http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:41:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much would you pay for a standard Wii package?
$249.99 (retail) - 33 (71.7%)
$275.00 - 1 (2.2%)
$300.00 - 1 (2.2%)
$325.00 - 0 (0%)
$350.00 (or more) - 1 (2.2%)
$240.00 (or less below Retail) - 10 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would you pay for a Wii?  (Read 1589 times)
Zero
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »

So with the shortage everywhere, I've been looking and looking...and was offered a Wii from someone on another board for $325 with the receipt.  Is this too much to pay for a Wii?  Its just the Wii box, no additional accessories or games (other than what comes with the sealed box).

What do you think?  What would you pay?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

Quote from: Zero on January 10, 2007, 05:46:00 AM

So with the shortage everywhere, I've been looking and looking...and was offered a Wii from someone on another board for $325 with the receipt.  Is this too much to pay for a Wii?  Its just the Wii box, no additional accessories or games (other than what comes with the sealed box).

Where is the below retail option? FOR RLY?

Seriously though? If you MUST have it, its not an awful price, but I think retail for a unit that is supposed to be a cheap new console alternative is enough.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:05:56 AM »

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny over $249.99. (Except for taxes of course)
I saw two of them in my local Target yesterday morning, they are getting them in steadily but they're being snatched up within an hour or two of hitting the store floor.
If you have a local target I'd recommend going there as soon as they open in the morning on tuesdays - not sure what your local might be, just ask the person in electronics the day(s) they get their new consoles/games shipments in.. they should tell you no problem, and make a note to be there on that morning.
Everyone else is massing lines at EB/Gamestop, many of whom don't even give stores like Target a second thought. (That's how I got my 360 last year as well)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:13:58 AM »

i'll tell you tomorrow night after i play mine when it arrives.  not sure i'd pay that, but close to it.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:53:34 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 05:54:44 AM

Seriously though? If you MUST have it, its not an awful price, but I think retail for a unit that is supposed to be a cheap new console alternative is enough.

Alright...below retail is now an option  icon_biggrin
I don't have to have it right away, but the big incentive here (like Xmann) is that my wife is interested...THAT IS GOLD.  She has never been interested in any gaming console...or gaming (she did play the NES growing up, but that was her brother's).  So this would be a first.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 10, 2007, 06:05:56 AM

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny over $249.99. (Except for taxes of course)
I saw two of them in my local Target yesterday morning, they are getting them in steadily but they're being snatched up within an hour or two of hitting the store floor.
If you have a local target I'd recommend going there as soon as they open in the morning on tuesdays - not sure what your local might be, just ask the person in electronics the day(s) they get their new consoles/games shipments in.. they should tell you no problem, and make a note to be there on that morning.
Everyone else is massing lines at EB/Gamestop, many of whom don't even give stores like Target a second thought. (That's how I got my 360 last year as well)

Good call...I've been checking Target, but have not had any luck.  I've also been checking Fred Meyer, Best Buy and Circuit City.  I'm pretty sure I'll get one, its just a matter of timing.  But I was looking at $325 (which the person probably paid $274 -with tax) - so I'm paying $50 above retail.  Its not much - but I'm still not sure I would pay that...so I was looking for opinions.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:17:28 AM »

You must hate gaming.

And the very fact that you're excited for Guitar Hero contradicts your hatred for the Wii.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 10, 2007, 07:17:28 AM

You must hate gaming.

And the very fact that you're excited for Guitar Hero contradicts your hatred for the Wii.

Um..thats absurd, but I am not going to derail zero's thread.

Hope you find one at a good price zero.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »

The MSRP itself is a rip-off, I could never justify $250 for last-gen hardware (though I'll probably end up paying anyways). Seriously, give me GameCube price + price for the Wii remote and I'll call it fair.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »

The funny thing is, with the 360 and PS3, both MS and Sony are losing money on system sales.  If anything the 360 and ps3 are bleeding edge and the Wii is just current, but with a nifty interface.

Graphics isn't really that big an issue for me so long as developers realize the lower power of the Wii and don't try to make games with the same graphics as the 360.  Stylization and gameplay are key.  And it's the games that will determine whether the Wii was worth it to me.

Although honestly, I have been toying with the idea of selling my Wii while the ebay prices are still high, using the extra to get myself a much needed digital camera and waiting until they're readily available before buying again.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:30:17 AM by Turtle » Logged
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

I would never buy a console for more than the market price and i'm not getting the wii yet anyway.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 01:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 10, 2007, 07:50:18 AM

blah blah blah

Really, the previous gen argument is such nonsense.

The UI is far more advanced than any other system out. So, the Wii is actually next next gen.

And the graphics are far and away better than the GC.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »

Zero, i've been reading unconfirmed reports of BB stocking their shipments for a sell forthcoming.  Might be something to check out.  I ran by my Target yesterday to check and sure enough they did get a shipment in yesterday, but sold them in about an hour.  Seems as if you aren't there when they arrive, you're out of luck.

The forums at slickdeals has a forum dedicated to finding a P3/Wii.  Some decent threads in there, might take a look at it.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »

Ridah just commited a crime against humanity that, in turn, will bring about a flurry of defenses and will always contain:

(Read between the lines here)

The funny thing is, with the 360 and PS3, both MS and Sony are losing money on system sales.

WOoooHooo!!

Like death and taxes!!

Back to the point - You pay what you think it's worth to you! If you use it a lot, it might be worth $20,000!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:45:16 PM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 01:49:54 PM »

lol, now that i think about it..........if this gets my wife into gaming and i can play a game system on a nightly basis with her playing along or just watching........could be worth alot more than retail.  Devil has a good point here, pay what you feel it's worth to YOU.

and glancing over at slickdeals, rumors are that Target is saving supply for a 21st sale. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

I am a consumer.  So companies selling consoles below cost is good for me. It's great for Nintendo and their stock holders that Nintendo is making a profit on every Wii.  But I think given the currnet market that $249 is too high for what you get with the Wii.  The thing should cost $199.  That said I did pay $249 for mine.

I don't understand why Sony and Microsoft get ridiculed for selling their consoles at a loss while Nintendo somehow gets praised for charging more than what the components are worth.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »

The big thing that is driving me nuts with the Wii is the freaking Forced Bundling that is going on.  You can't find just a Wii, but you can find a Wii Bundle for 600 bucks!  It sucks, and it makes me so frustrated. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 10, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

But I think given the currnet market that $249 is too high for what you get with the Wii.  The thing should cost $199.  That said I did pay $249 for mine.

Then it's priced just right icon_wink  Really, the cost of the goods has minimal to do with MSRP here- Nintendo can't keep them in stock at $249.99 so right now it looks like they shouldn't have charged $200 because that would have cost them about $20 million already and more in the months to come.  If they were sitting on store shelves unbought then no doubt $249.99 would have been a mistake.

And by starting higher they give themselves more room to drop later.  For anyone who says "I won't pay a cent over $200" for it, that's fine too because it will eventually get there, whether it takes six months, a year, or more.  And in the meantime they've made an extra $50 off of every single person willing to play $249.99. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 10, 2007, 02:07:27 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on January 10, 2007, 01:50:08 PM

But I think given the currnet market that $249 is too high for what you get with the Wii.  The thing should cost $199.  That said I did pay $249 for mine.

Then it's priced just right icon_wink  Really, the cost of the goods has minimal to do with MSRP here- Nintendo can't keep them in stock at $249.99 so right now it looks like they shouldn't have charged $200 because that would have cost them about $20 million already and more in the months to come.  If they were sitting on store shelves unbought then no doubt $249.99 would have been a mistake.

That is the magic of Nintendo right now.  They are selling $160 in hardware for $249 and can't make enough of them to keep up with demand.  While Sony is selling $800 of hardware for $599 and demand is relatively low right now.

My only defense for getting a Wii for $249 is that I didn't actually buy it.   :slywink:

Then again I am also one of the 3 or 4 people who actually owns a Zune.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:16:27 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »

They are selling $160 in hardware for $249 and can't make enough of them to keep up with demand.

Again!! icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »

Its just the Wii box, no additional accessories or games (other than what comes with the sealed box).

Just make sure it actually contains the console.  There were some fraktards on eBay selling just the 'sealed' boxes of the 360 and PS3 while trying to make it look like people were getting the whole console.  They would list the word 'box' in the auction name but list all the system specs in the description.  I'm not sure if any rubes got taken it by them but it did cost humanity a few points.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »

I ended paying about $80 over retail for the 360 and had it the day after release. I'm ok with that. As long as you have enough else to do for now, waiting another month should get to the point where they are much easier to pick up at retail... and there should be another game otu by then. /duck

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 08:21:37 AM »

I GOT ONE!!!

Listen to this...so I was going to get this for $325, and then someone posted "I have a Wii, you can have it for what I paid $271.99 - if you can tell me why you want this?  If not, I will keep it or return it to the store".  So I wrote her an email and just said that "this is the only gaming platform that my wife has shown any interest in."  I also stated that its definitely one I can play with my young kids (as opposed to xbox or ps3 - where I would be the "lone" player).  Well, she emailed me back and said that she would love to sell me the Wii for what she paid for!!  So I got it for $271.99, with a receipt, dated 1/9/07 from TARGET!  I just can't believe there are people out there like this.  She just said that she was buying this for her nephew, and found out that he has one already...and thought that someone else might like it.  She didn't want to make a profit on it - she just wanted to give it to someone that would not resell it and really wanted a Wii!  Isn't that cool?  Gives me hope for humanity yet!

So my search is almost over - now I need to find the rare Wii Component cable, extra remote, nunchucks and maybe a classic controller.

I think I truly would have paid $325 - mainly because its worth it to me to see my wife and kids have some fun.  I know that the other two consoles would or might be superior, but I think the Wii stands on its on.  It is certainly doing what their marketing is trying to do - which is to attract non-gamer (eg. my wife!).

Happy gaming!
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »

I would have paid up to 300 to get the Wii before Christmas, had I not gotten lucky with Costco.

300 isn't that bad considering I saw people paying PS3 prices on ebay just for the Wii console during the holidays.  retard

Glad to hear you found one, good deal.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »

It's like a Oxygen Network movie of the week!

A touching story!  icon_biggrin

Glad you got it and let us all know what you think and if, looking back, it would have been worth $325 anyway.

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 01:03:08 PM »

That's so beautiful  crybaby

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »

awesome Zero!  i got mine in a somewhat similar deal.  guy gave me an incredible deal because i told him my wife wanted it for her and our 4 year old.  and let me add last night was pure joy in the X household.  watching my little boy jump around and high-five his mom while bowling was freakin awesome.  to answer your question now, $325 would be nothing to pay for the Wii after watching my wife and son play with it last night.  you are definitely getting some extra brownie points from the Mrs. when that thing arrives to your home, i promise.

and my Wal Mart had plenty of the component cables.  they also had numerous controllers too.  i haven't seen the shortage everyone is talking about.  good luck and Gratz!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Zero on January 11, 2007, 08:21:37 AM

So my search is almost over - now I need to find the rare Wii Component cable, extra remote, nunchucks and maybe a classic controller.

I would just order all of that stuff from Nintendo's store.  They will ship it to you as soon as it comes in and the turnarounds for most people don't seem to have been too awful and it saves you from the hassle of calling around stores looking for each little piece. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: