http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 04:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Much Memory for a PS2?  (Read 1822 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:44:47 PM »

Hi all-

I plan to finally invest in a PS2 in the coming months, but having always been an xbox kid, the idea of a memory card is foreign.

How much do I need?

I plan to play God of War, Shadow of Colossus in addition to DragonQuest VIII etc.

I don't need my saved games after I've finished the game, just during.

That said- when I'm pricing stuff out/looking for deals, what size memory card should I get?

Thanks.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »

The standard, official 8MB card would work just fine for you.  The only reason you'd need another/something bigger was if you planned on saving your saved games after a couple years of playing games.

Or if you play sports games and save franchises, rosters, etc.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 07:43:23 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Or if you play sports games and save franchises, rosters, etc.

You will probably need a 32mb if you plan on playing Sports games, I have Madden 2006, ESPN NHL 2k5, and NHL Hitz Pro, and they take up about 8mbs, because the Season files are so big and the online files/roster up dates, etc.

If you just plan on playing the games you mention, and maybe a few more, you should be fine with an 8mb, Official PS2 Card.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »

Well if you plan on playing online, an 8mb card just isn't going to cut it. Between Killzone and Starwars Battlefront (as an example) the two games together take up one memory card on their own after you download the patches.

Personally I always used two memory cards, so I had enough room for my game saves and the couple of patches that came out for online games. Never tried the unofficial 32mb cards but if they work just the same, it'd be cheaper than spending $50 on two official cards. (Which amazingly, 5 years after launch, are still the same price!)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 08:41:40 PM »

I've only had one 8 MB card since the PS2 was released and have never felt the need for more space. Occasionally when playing sports games I've needed to erase some stuff, but in general it's been perfectly adequate.

On a side note, if you plan on playing any PS1 games you'll need to get a PS1 memory card.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »

I've gone so far as to need two before I started clearing out old save games for titles I've traded away or sold off. Depends on what games you play though. GTA: SA I recall having huge save files.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:55:25 PM »

"(Which amazingly, 5 years after launch, are still the same price!)"
I believe that when the PS2 first came out, the cards were $35, and now you can often find them on sale for $20 (or $35-$40 for the twin pack).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:29:50 AM »

Yeah, one card should be fine for quite a while barring sports games or online play.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 03:47:21 AM »

I believe that when the PS2 first came out, the cards were $35, and now you can often find them on sale for $20

Yeah you may be right, I'm an old man having a hard time remembering yesterday let alone 5 years ago.
I know they've been stuck at $24.99 (the official retail price) for ages now, sometimes Target and other stores have a weekly sale for $19.99 but then they go right back up again.

I'm definitely in the neutral zone for xbox vs ps2, but one thing that I liked so much more about my xbox was that you didn't ever need to worry about memory cards or having enough space. It's all there built in the box. You take a ps2 at $150 and buy 2 memory cards (assuming you want to play online or build up a sports collection) you're looking at about $200.. another $100 will get you the xbox 360 core version, which IMO, is the future.

Or in reality if you really want to invest in the playstation in coming months, maybe it's best to hold off until the ps3 comes out, considering it'll have complete backwards compatiblity? You can pick up any of the "must have" games now if you find them at the right price and just hold on to them until the ps3 comes out. I've held on to a couple of ps2 games (even though I traded my ps2 in and now my only console is the 360) just in case I do get a ps3.
Then again, maybe in the coming months Sony will drop the ps2 price to an affordable $99? I'd probably buy one just for that as well.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 04:25:21 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Or in reality if you really want to invest in the playstation in coming months, maybe it's best to hold off until the ps3 comes out, considering it'll have complete backwards compatiblity? You can pick up any of the "must have" games now if you find them at the right price and just hold on to them until the ps3 comes out. I've held on to a couple of ps2 games (even though I traded my ps2 in and now my only console is the 360) just in case I do get a ps3.
Then again, maybe in the coming months Sony will drop the ps2 price to an affordable $99? I'd probably buy one just for that as well.

I've been thinking of getting a PS2 to get my RPG fix and both of those thoughts have occurrred to me, but then I think this:  The PS3 has no clear launch date and may retail for 500-1000 bucks (I figure the high amount depends on if places stick you with bundles, but I'd be shocked if it was less than 500 at launch) and rumors of a PS2 price drop have been floating around since the middle of last year.  That hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't let that hold me back either.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »

"another $100 will get you the xbox 360 core version, which IMO, is the future."
Plus another $40 for a memory card.  It's a vicious cycle slywink  My biggest disappointment with the next-gen consoles is that none come with a hard drive standard.  IMO, that was the best innovation of this generation, and it's sad to see the next-gen actually regressing in terms of features.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: