http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:31:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much better is component than s-video on PS2?  (Read 1138 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »

So, I've run out of component inputs on my HDTV.  I can either (a) switch out the PS2 component input with the DVD player whenever I want to use it or (b) buy an s-video cable and use that.  The difference between component and composite is pretty big.  How much better of a picture am I getting using component cables than if I used an s-video cable?

YOU WILL ANSWER AND I WILL LEARN!!

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 24, 2007, 02:40:18 PM

So, I've run out of component inputs on my HDTV.  I can either (a) switch out the PS2 component input with the DVD player whenever I want to use it or (b) buy an s-video cable and use that.  The difference between component and composite is pretty big.  How much better of a picture am I getting using component cables than if I used an s-video cable?

YOU WILL ANSWER AND I WILL LEARN!!

Yes it looks quite a bit better, but the difference is minimal if playing on a LCD or Plasma tv-in that case it still pretty much looks like crap.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

how about:

wait for it....

almost there...

c) buy a component switcher thingiemajig box-type dealie so you don't have to unplug the cables over and over?

I HAVE ANSWERED AND YOU HAVE BEEN SHOOLED!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »

There's a difference, but not a huge one for the PS2. Unless, of course, you are playing games that are in 480p. Obviously, those will look worse on the S-video (since 480p isn't an option).

But, as CeeKay says, you can get a switcher. And if you aren't too concerned about the highest of high quality, you don't necessarily even need a real component switcher. Just buy a regular composite A/V switcher (that's for the video and audio, so 3 jacks) and use that instead. I had one of those for my component inputs (PS2, DVD, and 360) and it worked fine. I couldn't see any video degredation.

edit: I used something like this (though not that exact model).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:40:26 PM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2007, 03:24:27 PM

SHOOLED!
Shooled? And while a switchbox would assist in not moving cables around, there is a minute bit of signal loss involved. The ends outweigh the cost, in terms of labor if not dollars, but it does depend on the TV itself. The bigger the screen the more you'll notice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:02:17 PM by javahead » Logged

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:50:38 PM »

Quote from: javahead on January 24, 2007, 03:48:51 PM

SHOOLED!
Shooled?

you know, like those big buildings where you go and they teach you stuff like Engrish.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »

Definitely use component.  A surprising number of PS2 games are 480p though it isn't always obvious how to enable it (some can be done in the options menu for the game, others require you to hold down two buttons on the controller during startup). 
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:14:53 PM »

The answer to your problems.   icon_biggrin

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »

SHOOLED!
Shooled? And while a switchbox would assist in not moving cables around, there is a minute bit of signal loss involved. The ends outweigh the cost, in terms of labor if not dollars, but it does depend on the TV itself. The bigger the screen the more you'll notice.

I suppose going through a switchbox has some signal loss...but I haven't noticed any.  It might also depend on the switchbox you get - if you get a crappy one - then maybe the output isn't so great...The one I bought was Phillips branded switchbox from Walmart three months ago for $20, has 4 component input and 1 component output.  So far it works great.  The only reason I did this was so that there would appear to be only one cable (that was easily hidden) coming from the TV.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on January 24, 2007, 04:14:53 PM

Maybe a link would've worked better than a tiny picture from an ebay auction? smile
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 04:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Zero on January 24, 2007, 09:22:51 PM

SHOOLED!

I suppose going through a switchbox has some signal loss...but I haven't noticed any.  It might also depend on the switchbox you get - if you get a crappy one - then maybe the output isn't so great...The one I bought was Phillips branded switchbox from Walmart three months ago for $20, has 4 component input and 1 component output.  So far it works great.  The only reason I did this was so that there would appear to be only one cable (that was easily hidden) coming from the TV.
Well I only mention it just in the case that one's system is on the verge and this may be noticeable. As I said, it is a minute loss and might be something to think about. I'm glad to hear it's working out.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:09:46 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 24, 2007, 09:27:36 PM

Quote from: juniordan on January 24, 2007, 04:14:53 PM

Maybe a link would've worked better than a tiny picture from an ebay auction? smile

+1

Because I can,
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 04:02:29 PM »

After using S-Video for my PS2 for the last 2 years, I finally freed up an extra component input on my switch box and switched to component last week - I dunno, I think that even the 480i games look quite a bit better than they did over S-Video although it may have been a reflection of the poor quality of my S-Video cable.

As Kevin said, the few games that support 480p look great, and GT4 looks great in 1080i smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »

I was shocked with how much of a difference component made on my PS2.  Huge improvement.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »

Component output is definitely an improvement over S-Video even for PS2 games that are 480i only. If you have an EDTV or HDTV, those games that support 480p will look significantly better. I also found that running my PS2 set to 16x9 while connected through S-Video didn't work, but works well through component.
In particular in my small library of PS2 games; God of War and Star Ocean look very nice indeed.  icon_wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: