http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many times have you bought a game?  (Read 1510 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:38:02 PM »

Personally I've bought W40: Dawn of War 3 times now sigh.

First time, I lost the disc. Second time, I scratched my Expansion disc badly, so when Steam had an offer, I had to take it.

This isnt the only game I've bought more than once - actually a lot of my Steam games are games I used to have but now couldnt find or found it easier to have on steam.

Whats your record for buying the same game?

A new one
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »

Just once I think.  I've had thoughts about rebuying AssCred since it's so cheap on Steam these days but then I remember what a steaming pile it was.  And I often think about buying the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics but then I remind myself how I have no time to get into a grindy game like that these days.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've bought X-Com at least three times.  Once in an X-Com pack that came out a long time ago, then on the later X-Com that was fixed to run on modern machines (don't remember if it worked), and then via Steam.  I think I even got it on a PC Gamer disc too, so maybe four times?

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

I bought Civ 4 twice since I picked up the complete version with Colonization and all the expansions. That one hardly counts though.

I also bought X-Com twice. Once on floppy originally and again when I could get it on CD.

I would have gladly bought Master of Magic a few times but I found a free download a while back on The Underdogs. The same for System Shock 2.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

Not sure if it's the record but I  have bought Mass Effect 3 times- first on 360, then on PC, and then on Steam. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »

Mafia 3 times and Jagged Alliance 2 3 times. I'd buy either a 4th time if they ever show up on Steam so I can stop rebuying them. Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 04, 2010, 02:01:05 PM

Mafia 3 times and Jagged Alliance 2 3 times. I'd buy either a 4th time if they ever show up on Steam so I can stop rebuying them. Tongue

um, JA 2 is on Steam - I just bought it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

Mass Effect 3 times.  once on the 360, again on the PC and finally on Steam for 5 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 04, 2010, 02:14:52 PM

I'll be looking into that when I get home, thanks. smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »

I bought Final Fantasy Tactics four times.  First when it first came out on PS1 (right after playing FF VII, and thought it was similar.  Ended up hating it).  Second time a couple years later (warmed up to it a bit this time).  Third when i got my PS2 (it finally "clicked" and I absolutely adored it).  Fourth when the War of the Lions remake came out for PSP, which is my personal Game of the Decade

Traded in the PSP version a while back, but I can see myself picking up a cheap used copy again down the road sometime.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

The only game I've bought twice is 'Sacrifice'. Picked it up originally and played it plenty, but saw it in the bargain bin at the defunct EB Games one day for like 3 bucks. In my opinion, it's one of the most imaginative and underrated RTS of the past decade. I guess I wanted to 'stockpile' on it, or something.  icon_lol
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 04, 2010, 03:20:23 PM

I bought Final Fantasy Tactics four times.  First when it first came out on PS1 (right after playing FF VII, and thought it was similar.  Ended up hating it).  Second time a couple years later (warmed up to it a bit this time).  Third when i got my PS2 (it finally "clicked" and I absolutely adored it).  Fourth when the War of the Lions remake came out for PSP, which is my personal Game of the Decade

Traded in the PSP version a while back, but I can see myself picking up a cheap used copy again down the road sometime.

I have bought it three times myself.  I'm thinking about number 4 as the 'War of the Lions' updated version is now available for download on hte PS3.  I sold my PSP and that version with it.  Though it's not a PC game...

other repeat offenders:

Jagged alliance 2 - twice (no idea)
X-Com - twice (steam version)
Wizardry 8 - twice (original all scratched)
Baulders Gate - twice (all in one pack 2nd go round)
Half Life 2 - twice (damn you orange box)
Space Rangers 2 (it just deserved it!)

morlac00 on PSN
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

I know I've purchased X-Com twice, Railroad Tycoon 2 twice and got the Ultima Complete collection that had some Ultima games that I'd previously purchased. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 04, 2010, 04:55:26 PM

I have bought it three times myself.  I'm thinking about number 4 as the 'War of the Lions' updated version is now available for download on hte PS3.  I sold my PSP and that version with it.  Though it's not a PC game...

It's absolutely worth every penny.  The core gameplay is the same, but they completely overhauled and cleaned up the translation, and added some of the most beautiful FMV cutscenes I've ever seen. 

Cremator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »

I bought Morrowind twice (lost the CD, then found it after re-purchase). Same deal for Total Annihilation and SM Alpha Centauri. I love those games and couldn't hold back until I found the CDs, so I bought them again.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:31:56 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 04, 2010, 03:19:33 PM

There are five Jagged Alliance titles available on GOG - 100% DRM-free, yours forever. smile

Myself, I've bought Freelancer three times.  The first time I had simply bought into the hype - it was going to be the next Elite!  After playing it and realising with disgust that it was nothing of the sort, I got rid of it.  Then, partially due to it being perpetually available for a fiver on Amazon, I bought it another couple of times thinking I'd missed something, or hearing about good mods, or whatever.  But each time it didn't take long for me to uninstall it again.  Funny how the game I've bought most often is one I've never enjoyed.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »

I own 4 copies of Master of orion. Got my original 3.5" in 1994 the same day I got a computer. Years later i found a copy of the cd version super cheap and though it might have new stuff on it. Plus it would be good for back-up. Then a couple years ago I came across another big box copy at Goodwill which was different than my old big box so thought it might be worth something. before I got out i found another copy of some sort in there and ended up with both.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »

I know I've accidentally bought a few games more than once - but the extra copies were always bargain-bin priced (less than $10).

The one's I've intentionally bought a second or third time were bargain-bin priced and bought because I couldn't remember where the original was and decided that $3 was a small price to pay to avoid looking for it.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 04, 2010, 07:31:56 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on January 04, 2010, 03:19:33 PM

There are five Jagged Alliance titles available on GOG - 100% DRM-free, yours forever. smile

Myself, I've bought Freelancer three times.  The first time I had simply bought into the hype - it was going to be the next Elite!  After playing it and realising with disgust that it was nothing of the sort, I got rid of it.  Then, partially due to it being perpetually available for a fiver on Amazon, I bought it another couple of times thinking I'd missed something, or hearing about good mods, or whatever.  But each time it didn't take long for me to uninstall it again.  Funny how the game I've bought most often is one I've never enjoyed.

I've bought Neverwinter Nights 2 three times for the same reason.  Kept thinking there must be something I'm missing and hoping it would 'click'.  Never did.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 04, 2010, 05:49:09 PM

Quote from: morlac on January 04, 2010, 04:55:26 PM

I have bought it three times myself.  I'm thinking about number 4 as the 'War of the Lions' updated version is now available for download on hte PS3.  I sold my PSP and that version with it.  Though it's not a PC game...

It's absolutely worth every penny.  The core gameplay is the same, but they completely overhauled and cleaned up the translation, and added some of the most beautiful FMV cutscenes I've ever seen.  

Could not agree more.  I have the original PS version that was worth a ton of $.  Then they finally rereleased it as a bargain title and I got it then too. Then of course it was the first game I got on the PSP.  Since i sold that i know want it on the PS3.  I could just play the original one on it but I want a disc free updated version  thumbsup

Forgot about Freelancer.  Two of those.  Morrowind....twice, Oh and Divine Divintiy which was just repurchased a Third! time.  Come to think of it I have bought WOW and EQ and EQ2 at least two times each.  Not sure those count though?  I should stop trying to think of these as my wallet is laughing at my stupidity  saywhat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:45:02 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »

Interesting enough, WH40k DoW is 1 of 3 games I've ever bought more than once for the same platform. My disk got too scratched as well - hmm wonder if their was a manufacturing quality issue there? The others were F22 - Air Dominance Fighter, which I rebought for the manual and Falcon 4, which I guess I didn't officially buy twice since the 2nd was the F4 Allied Force edition. I've bought a number of the same games for consoles and PC though - Doom, KotOR, Jade Empire, Star Wars Jedi Outcast, Elder Scrolls III GotY. I'm sure there's more, but I'd probably have to dive into my PC game library in storage to refresh my mind. slywink
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 04, 2010, 10:48:31 PM

Interesting enough, WH40k DoW is 1 of 3 games I've ever bought more than once for the same platform.

Oooh I forgot this interesting tidbit. Dawn of War is the only game I've purchased twice and never played. Got it once in a trade here and never got around to trying it and got it again in some mega-pack on steam. I really need to try it sometime. slywink

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:12 AM »

NWN twice, bought the original release then bought it again with expansion.

Stalker twice, second time was when it was for sale for a few dollars at Steam.

Mass Effect twice to get it on Steam.

Tomb Raider Underworld twice because I misplaced the whole thing (unopened new) so I bought it again on Steam.

Fallout 3 twice on Steam, first the original game then the GOTY version to get the DLCs (Can't use my credit card to purchase points online from XBOX Live or GFW Live because the service is not available for my region, I set my region to Singapore but don't have Singapore CC).

KOTOR twice to get it on Steam.

The Witcher twice to get it on Steam so I don't have to install the original release version then upgrade it to Enhanced Edition.

Evil Genius twice to get it on Steam.

Those are all that I remember.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »

i've never paid for the same game twice.  i think my reasons for that are clearly explained by the multiple boxes and shelves full of games hidden around my apartment.  i still own pretty much every game that i've ever purchased, all the way back to my old Atari 2600...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 04, 2010, 10:53:39 PM

Quote from: kronovan on January 04, 2010, 10:48:31 PM

Interesting enough, WH40k DoW is 1 of 3 games I've ever bought more than once for the same platform.

Oooh I forgot this interesting tidbit. Dawn of War is the only game I've purchased twice and never played. Got it once in a trade here and never got around to trying it and got it again in some mega-pack on steam. I really need to try it sometime. slywink

Go...play...now!!

A new one
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »

I bought Resident Evil 4, played it for an hour or two and hated it.  I sold it.

I then bought it again as everyone else seemed to love it and I figured I must be missing something.  I played it for an hour or two and still hated it and sold it again.

I keep looking at the Wii remake and thinking I might give it a try but I've got so many other good games I know I'll love that I'm passing.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 05, 2010, 01:18:57 PM

I bought Resident Evil 4, played it for an hour or two and hated it.  I sold it.

I then bought it again as everyone else seemed to love it and I figured I must be missing something.  I played it for an hour or two and still hated it and sold it again.

Did the same thing...I even bought a GC just so I could give it a shot!  Never did end up liking it.

I have a habit of buying games, selling them while the resale value is still high, then getting an itch for them again a year or two later and re-buying them on the cheap.  The list of games I've bought 3-4 times is mercifully very short, but I've lost track of the games that I've bought twice.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 05, 2010, 01:18:57 PM

I keep looking at the Wii remake and thinking I might give it a try but I've got so many other good games I know I'll love that I'm passing.

I did the exact same thing, plus buying it on the Wii and still hating it. Don't be tempted. The Wii may make the controls better, but it doesn't make the game better.

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »

In Oct/Nov of 2008 I bought Fallout 3.  I loved it so much that before the end of the year I used a Christmas gift card to buy the Collectors edition to get all the extras (art book, DVD, bobble head, lunchbox).  I got all the DLC through Live, and I'm pretty sure that the first time I see the GOTY edition of this game for under $20 I'm buying it.

Also there's Overlord.  I bought it for the PC, played about 50% of it.  Got a PS3 at the start of last year and bought Overlord for that- played about 70% of it.  Then a Steam sale for both Overlords was too good to pass up- so I've bought Overlord three times (and Overlord II twice, as I've got a still sealed PS3 version of that one).

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:55 PM »

I don't recall the specific game, but I think 2 is my limit.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »

X-COM, although I couldn't get the bundle version a few years ago to run properly.

X-Wing to some extent, as I originally got it on 3.5" floppies in 1993, and later bought the upgraded CD-ROM version.

I'm hoping at some point old wargame stuff like SSI's Panzer General, Allied General and People's General (all of which I have, but can't run on my current system); and Big Time's Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire! will find their way onto GoG in versions I can run in Vista 64-bit. Then I'd be glad to get them again.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »

Baldur's Gate - bought it when it originally released, then bought a bargain version that came on fewer CDs.

Max Payne - bought on release, bought recently in the Steam sale with MP2 so I didn't have to mess with finding the disc.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »

Bought Evil Genius twice since the original disc got a ruinous scratch on it.

Bought Fallout twice that I can remember.  A few years ago I lost the disc, which resurfaced after I bought it again.  However,  Last time I checked, I've got 3 discs.   I sure don't remember buying it that third time.   Thankfully, I never lost the spiffy spiral bound manual that came with the original version.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »

I've actually purchased second copies a fair number of times just because they were part of packs where I wanted the other stuff.  Half Life 2 and HL2 Episode 1 twice because of the Orange Box.  EU3 twice because I got the Complete package later to get the expansions.  And so on.

I ended up with three copies of Far Cry, however, because when I upgraded my PC a few months after it came out they were including it with a lot of things.  I got one copy with a new motherboard and another with a new videocard.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »

"Thief Gold" twice.
Once new, and I loved it so much, I bought a second used copy just in case my first one got damaged or lost or something.

Oh, and two complete boxed copies each of "Elite Plus", "Frontier: Elite 2", and "First Encounters" for the same reason.
My only regret is that both Frontiers are the floppy versions. I tried for years to get the complete boxed CD rom version on eBay, but the price always went way too high. Books and map...yum...
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on January 07, 2010, 05:51:32 PM

"Thief Gold" twice.
Once new, and I loved it so much, I bought a second used copy just in case my first one got damaged or lost or something.

That reminds me that I bought Thief, then Thief Gold.  No One Lives Forever, then NOLF:GOTY (got a Best Buy exclusive soundtrack with this purchase).  Alien Vs. Predator, then Alien Vs. Predator Gold (got a cool face hugger plush toy from Media Play with this purchase). 

I finished Thief and NOLF both times.  I never finished AVP either time.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: