http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:24:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many consoles (same kind) have you been through?  (Read 1354 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:42:43 AM »

I've had around 7 PS2's since launch (none of them died I just traded them in out of boredom and towards other systems losing lots of money in the process - last one just traded a week ago) 3 Xbox's (2 of which were turned in again towards the PS2 again!) 2 DS's (big and lite) 3 PSP's (on my third one now) and 2 Xbox 360's (first one malfunctioned so I didn't lose anything on it by exchanging it for a new one)

Looking back at all that money I wasted on consoles I'm feeling a bit ripped off.. I dont know why I did that so many times, especially switching for the same console again after I just traded it.. I go through these things faster than I do a bag of doritos!

Now being on my third PSP and second Xbox 360 (the only 2 consoles I own at the moment) I'm trying to keep them for good now. Almost went in yesterday (last day of the extra $20 trade in value for any console trade in at gamestop) to trade in my PSP for an original Xbox (to play the mass amount of games still not on backwards compatiblitiy) but then I changed my mind at the last minute and held on to it. I'm still having too much fun with SOCOM online and there's still quite a few games coming out that I want to play. (Though sadly, even if I did trade in it I'd probably buy it new again in a couple months..)

Anyone else have this impulsive habit? (Or whatever you want to call it) I've lost maybe close to a grand on all these trade-ins.. only to get them again at some later point. Got to resist the urge to trade-in!!  :twisted:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 05:47:29 AM »

Roughly 7 PS2s since launch, same as you corruptrelic, except that mine died from heat, etching my discs, and other maladies.  I also had an Xbox tank on me.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »

I've never had a console die.

But apparently my PS2 (bought it at or right after launch) is about ready to croak, but it still works.  It just has a personality of its own.  For some reason it never loads a game when it starts up so I must go to the browser and then select the disc manually.  The game will play fine after that.  It's been doing that for the past few months.

I hope I didn't just curse myself...

I've never even owned two of the same console except for the Gameboy, of which I have owned all types except the original Advance and the new DS Lite.  All of them still work perfectly fine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »

I've never had more than one of any machine.  I've never had one break, and it doesn't seem to make sense to trade in a console unless you're sure you'll never use it again (no offense slywink)  I guess I've had good luck with consoles, which evens out with my bad luck with stereo equipment.  I can make stereos quit working just by looking at them, judging by my track record with them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 06:13:42 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Roughly 7 PS2s since launch

Sounds like TML and GameCubes.  He always seems to be buying another one just to get that SSBM fix.  I don't know why he bothers trading them in.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »

None.

Same everythin, my Atari still works too lol.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:57:10 AM »

2 XBOX.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »

Original of everything.  I don't trade in systems.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:16:30 AM »

I went through 3 PS2's.  When the third one died in under 2 years total time I said F this and got an Xbox and never looked back.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:18:23 PM »

I've never had a console break on me though I don't expect my Xbox (with Thompson drive) to make it through the year.  The only consoles I've owned multiples of are the GBA/GBA SP and the DS/DS Lite and I might pick up a slimline PS2 at some point if I can ever find a decent deal on a Joytek LCD screen for it.  

Count me in as someone who doesn't understand those who continually trade in their consoles on a whim only to rebuy them later (several times) since I can't imagine that it would ever be a money making proposition.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »

I'm on my 3rd xbox360; only because I COULD trade them in.

My first one was loud, my second one seems to hang / overheat when playing DW5.

So I got a new one yesterday (my buddy manages an EBGames, so no big deal for me).

I will have a fourth one next year at this time, right at the end of my EB warranty.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 01:26:25 PM »

2 Gamecubes (sold one, got another for Zelda: Twilight Princess, which turned out to be a stupid idea, since it'll be on... ugh... the Wii).

2 PS1s (one of the big gray ones, then I got a PSOne + LCD package for a long roadtrip)

2 PS2s (one of the initial releases, worked flawlessly for me right up to the day I traded it in toward a slimline PS2)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 01:27:46 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Count me in as someone who doesn't understand those who continually trade in their consoles on a whim only to rebuy them later (several times) since I can't imagine that it would ever be a money making proposition.

I traded in my PS2 when I thought I was done with it in preparation for the 360, then Guitar Hero came out so I bought another one. My 360 has been replaced due to hardware failure. Other than that, no repeats for me. Re-buying games after trading them in is another story. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »

I'm on my original PS2.  I hardly ever touch it so its in storage.   I'm still on my original xbox and knock on wood 360.

Only console that ever went bad on me was my original ps one and NES other than that I've been pretty lucky on the console front.  its my PC that constantly up and dies on me.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
But apparently my PS2 (bought it at or right after launch) is about ready to croak, but it still works.  It just has a personality of its own.  For some reason it never loads a game when it starts up so I must go to the browser and then select the disc manually.  The game will play fine after that.

Yup - your PS2 is about to die. Thankfully, all it takes is a simple (more or less - search the 'net for directions) operation to get your PS2 back up to full speed.

As for me...I've had a used PS1 (which thankfully broke right around when the PS2 came out) die, and I've had to repair (as listed above) my PS2 twice now.

And I've gone through a total of 3 360's (on my third now) after my wonderful 'disc eating' incident. Seems to work just fine now, albit it's a VERY noisy machine.

As for replacing consoles...nope. Never trade them in either, except for when I'm 'upgrading' them (GBA to GBA SP, DS to DS Lite). Damn you Nintendo and your console upgrades! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »

1 of each... never broke one (including a launch PS2), never traded it in.

I have lost my PSP somewhere though.  I really don't know where that went.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

Lost my GBA SP somewhere many moons ago and have yet to find it. Had one PlayStation die on me, and I've had the same PS2 and same Xbox I bought several years ago. No worries on either thus far. Which is what worries me about the 360. Everyone I know has burned through at least two of them. I buy a console and it damn well better work, period.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 04:41:39 PM »

Let's see... had a close to launch ps2, it eventually mostly died, traded it torwards a slimline ps2.  Had that for about 3 months, then it decided it would only read movies, no games.  Sony fixed it, but I haven't played with it very much since then. (having the 360 helps there)

Had a early model xbox with the thompson drive.  Worked fine for 2 1/2 years, then started going bad.  Traded it in on a newer model xbox before they stopped making them.  It is currenly in storage.

Bought a launch day 360.  Worked fine, except that it would always lock up when playing movies.  Shortly before the warrantee ran out I sent it back to MS.  Got a refurb back from them, newer than the one I sent in...  it croaked within two months while I was playing oblivion (oh noes, oblivion kills 360s!!...  Cool )  Got that one replaced and am on my 3rd 360.  Good luck with it so far <crosses fingers>  I've actually made it past 3 months with this box, so I may go ahead and invest in the extended warrantee when I get paid.  On the other hand, if this one dies soon, MS WILL fix it for free.  Having to go through 3 boxes in under a year is unacceptable.  Will be an interesting conversation if it happens.

Original SNES and Sega Genesis in storage (or someone's house) that to the best of my knowledge still work.

Managed to lose my atari Lynx somewhere in the many moves a few years ago.  May still be in a box at a friends house.  It still worked last time I played it, and still took large amounts of batteries.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 05:04:54 PM »

I had two 2600s- the original and the slim which i bought like 2 weeks before I met someone with a NES.

1 odessey...have no idea what happened to it

I want to say 2 NES'- one to replace one that wouldn't hold the cartridge down

SNES that I had for about a week and took back.

1 XBOX bought at the end of 2002

1 PS2 bought in March of this year

That's about it.

Edit: Sega Master System that was given to me

Sega Genesis.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 05:37:32 PM »

I've had one PS2, bought in mid-2001, and It's still going strong.   Cool

And I will probably cry very much the day it finally dies. :cry:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »

I never have had a console die that I can remember.  I even bought Soup's old original Xbox in 2002 (complete with Thompson drive) and never had a problem beyond the first day when it locked up on the Halo intro screen.  Poor little guy has gone to ebay heaven now...
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 08:53:56 PM »

I had 3 PS2's (in two years...), and my original Xbox had a Thompson drive in it that went bad after about a year and a half, ,the second one had the samsung drive though, and still runs like a champ.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 12:40:10 AM »

2 Ps2's (first one died at around the 6 month mark)
2 X-Boxes (first one died at around the 1 year mark)
Current X-Box is on it's final legs, I expect it to croak by then end of the year.

1 Gamecube and 1 each for all my previous generation systems, despite using them even more.

I guess they don't make them like they used to.
 :roll:

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 01:10:38 AM »

3 ps2's............ Oh yeah and also 2 ps1 smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 02:52:29 AM »

I had a couple PlayStations.  The first one was second-hand so I wasn't too surprised when it started to crap out and only work on it's side or after some violent intervention.  The second one ended up getting stolen so after that I just shared with a roommate.  

Every other console my family or I have owned (from 2600 up to 360) hasn't had to be replaced.  However, I don't have a notorious PS2 and my XBox wasn't from the first run.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: