http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How I wish they would change the Wiimote  (Read 599 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 06:56:35 PM »

I have been playing a bunch of Godfather: Blackhand and Metroid Prime 3 and realizing that they didn't really do a very good job with the Wiimote. Reason is they tried to make it some kind of Swiss-army knife controller, specifically setting it up to work as an NES controller when you turn it on it's side. That's fine and all, but now the locations of the +,-, 1 and 2 buttons are in horrible locations.  Looking at the menu screen (and the map) in either of these games means bending your thumb uncomfortably back. Hitting the + and - minus buttons is not much better.

I'd love a wiimote that is specifically designed for games where you are pointing the control at the screen (and there are plenty of those).  I'd like to see if they could put the + and - to the left and right of the A button.  Not sure where to put the 1 and 2, but I wouldn't mind pulling the d-pad closer to the A button either. Shooting a missile in Metroid again means stretching up.

The other big problem is with nunchuk.  Since nothing is holding the nunchuck level, I constantly find that my left hand has rotated so that my palm is almost facing up, and when I think I am pressing forward, I am actually pressing a bit off to the left.  Don't know how to fix that.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:29:54 PM »

The 1 and 2 buttons are where they are simply because the controller was meant to be on its side when you use those buttons. Like an old NES controller or whatever.

The + and - buttons though - yes, those needed to come closer to the A button. Maybe a 3rd party controller will solve that issue...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »

I really didn't have any problems using the Wiimote with the 2 games you mentioned, but then again my fingers are quite long. I'm not sure about putting the (+) and (-) buttons on either side of the [A] button, but I do agree that there's a case for moving the d-pad more towards the wiimote base.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:54:56 PM by kronovan » Logged
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »

I agree 100%.

The + / - and 2 are nearly useless, but are used frequently in many games. I don't have any problems with the nunchuck though.

I thought Metroid 3 was unplayable and gave up about 1/4 of the way through it. That control scheme was inexcusably bad.

I think Nintendo would do well to re-release the wavebird and highly recommend alternate controls for those of us unimpressed by waggle.  I was glad to see how many control options were available for SSBB, and hope they apply that formula to more games.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »

Thanks for the warning! I have problems with my thumbs (yeah, yeah, from overuse while gaming) - I have a hard time reaching the D-pad while holding the controller aiming forward. 

I had an idea, though that I haven't tried yet, but might help you... IF you haven't tried taking off the Wiimote cover yet, try that - it would give you a bit less ground to cover while reaching further than the A button.  Maybe. 

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: