http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 10:08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Generous is Microsoft with Live Chat Usage?  (Read 837 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »

I was looking at some of the threads in a MoHH2 forum about online gameplay. I noticed that a number of the people posting mentioned playing X360 shooters online, which means they likely have Live accounts. It would be great to use Live chat with MoHH2 since, at least to me, it seems much easier than using a PC client like XFire or Teamspeak. It's also more likely that X360 owners would have their consoles situated near their Wii's than their PC's. I'm admittedly quite knew to the X360's Live and don't know if it's even possible to have multi party chat outside of a game. Can this be done?

I'm also wondering whether or not using the Live chat feature for voice comms while playing a Wii game online would violate Microsoft's Xbox Live EULA? Does anyone  know?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:18:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure you can only have two people in a chat session outside of a game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »

It sucks because it's only limited to 2 people.

The original Xbox Live had up to 4, if I recall correctly.

TheMissingLink on PSN
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »

private chat with more than two members is a feature of Live that members have been waiting for since the service debuted on the 360.  as far as i know, MS has never made an official statement about absence of this feature, but it's thought that it may not exist out of concerns for fairness in online gaming.  limiting private chat to two players helps to ensure that in-game chat during multiplayer is used only as the game developers intend.  allowing a larger group of gamers to chat with each other at any time could make communication possibly that skews the fairness of a multiplayer match.  that's just a theory though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »

2 in private chat.  But you can be tricky in this regard.   Go into a game such as Halo 3.  Create a private game lobby.  Invite all the people you are playing with to the Halo lobby.  Instant multiparty chat.

On second thought don't use halo because their lobby chat can suck.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on November 22, 2007, 07:26:11 PM

2 in private chat.  But you can be tricky in this regard.   Go into a game such as Halo 3.  Create a private game lobby.  Invite all the people you are playing with to the Halo lobby.  Instant multiparty chat.

On second thought don't use halo because their lobby chat can suck.

Right, since reading in the other posts that multiparty chat isn't supported outside of games, I did think of the game lobby trick. My only problem with that solution is I can't imagine it doesn't somehow violate the Xbox Live EULA. It really wouldn't be worth the risk of being denied Live usage.

Does anyone know if using a game lobbie's chat for purposes other than playing that specific game can result in your Live account being banned?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »

yeah in the fall wishlist thread on xbox.com a lot of people includeing myself have been asking for 4 people in chat......at the time i was thinking of final fantasy 11 with myto and others from our linkshell...it could of been great

and yeah,missing link...it was 4 people on the xbox 1..not sure why they have changed it,maybe it has something to do with the video chat

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: