http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:50:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know if a game has Starforce?  (Read 1393 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:49:23 AM »

Unless you open up and install it, at which point, you can't return it.
We can't even trade in PC games to EB anymore like we could in the past, so there's little resale value in PC games compared to console games.

There's a few PC games I'd like to pick up (the just released Warpath chief among them) but how do you know if it has Starforce? I'd like to keep my aging PC Starforce-free in show of support to those developers that copyright their stuff the right way.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:03:41 AM »

Probably just search and ask around.  Seems like if a game uses Starforce there will be plenty of people complaining about it.  Also try the official forums for a particular game.

Here is a list, but it is a bit outdated.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:24 AM »

http://www.daemon-tools.cc    It's the website for Daemon Tools, a virtual disk tool.  On that site they have a database of games that is relatively up to date.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:41:51 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Unless you open up and install it, at which point, you can't return it.
We can't even trade in PC games to EB anymore like we could in the past, so there's little resale value in PC games compared to console games.

There's a few PC games I'd like to pick up (the just released Warpath chief among them) but how do you know if it has Starforce? I'd like to keep my aging PC Starforce-free in show of support to those developers that copyright their stuff the right way.

Here is a fairly comprehensive list.  It is up through May of this year.  If you are ever in doubt, I can find out.

http://www.glop.org/starforce/list.php

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Itsatrap
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 02:48:41 AM »

The lists are great, but keep in mind that European publishers and North America publishers sometimes independently decide to include (or exclude) Starforce.  The unfortunate side-effect is that some games may be listed on there, but not use Starforce for the Euro or NA release.

- Alan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:12:41 AM »

Quote from: "Itsatrap"
The lists are great, but keep in mind that European publishers and North America publishers sometimes independently decide to include (or exclude) Starforce.  The unfortunate side-effect is that some games may be listed on there, but not use Starforce for the Euro or NA release.

- Alan

Very very true.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:36:31 AM »

How do you know if a game has Starforce?

The monitor spins all the way around, it pukes, it floats above the desk, or it says "IT BURNS!!" when you spill cola on it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 01:18:30 PM »

Very easy way for one version of Starforce:  If you install the game and it says "installing protection" and "you must reboot" and won't let you play UNTIL you reboot?  You've got Starforce.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:30:15 PM »

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/gamedb.php?letter=all

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »

How well does the Starforce cleaner utility work?  I've been reluctant to install games with Starforce...and would probably want to remove any errant games that I missed.  Any one ever used the cleaner utility?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 04:07:09 PM »

I heard you'll know you have Starforce on your PC when you wake up one morning to find Satan using your monitor for a commode.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »

Another indicator of Starforce is a reboot requirement at the end of the install of the game.  I'll mention that this isn't always a way to know because DirectX can also cause this.  But if you know your DirectX is up to date, and a small rectangular box pops up requesting a reboot before you can run the program (and the box looks nothing like the standard InstallShield dialog) then it's prolly starforce.

Starforce has a value component too, which appears on Hard Truck: Apocalypse.  It doesn't install any drivers, but runs more like a SecureROM/Safedisk protection, with a Verifying Disc screen appearing before the game boots.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"
How well does the Starforce cleaner utility work?  I've been reluctant to install games with Starforce...and would probably want to remove any errant games that I missed.  Any one ever used the cleaner utility?

Last time I had to use it, it worked great. Yeah, it comes from the developer themselves, but it works.

http://www.glop.org/starforce/remove.php
(not the Starforce developer page, but a site that deals with all things Starforce including a semi-current list of games that have it)

That link also includes the manual way of removing Starforce, if you don't trust the program.

Dreamshadow - that so called 'Starforce' on Hard Truck is anything but, as it was cracked with a no-CD the day the game came out. I'd prefer that version, personally. No Starforce. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 03:07:39 AM »

Thanks Destructor...good to know it can be removed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: