http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:29:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did Shining Force Neo hold up?  (Read 638 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12284


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« on: November 08, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

I have a $40 credit at Gamestop and have been intrigued by Shining Force Neo.  The reviews are all over the map (from 40% to 90%), and I'm wondering how it held up after the initial positive impressions.    I'm torn between picking it up today, or waiting for Magna Carta next week.

GT Collective, let me know what you thought.  I'm counting on you!!  slywink
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Cleric7
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 515


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »

I "played" it for about 3 hours then gave up in disgust.
I say "played" because (no exagerration) 95% of the opening is exposition. Just endless, endless talking about stuff (a lot of it just useless stuff, too -- herbs????) I could not wait to get out of the opening village and it just would not let me get started on the main quest! The other 5% of the time was spent pressing one button repeatedly over and over and over and over for combat.

I kept waiting for the "game" to start and gave up waiting. At least I got decent trade-in value for it!

Can someone who has played farther tell me if it ever gets good??
Logged

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12284


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »

Hmmm, that's not good.  Maybe I'll wait until I can find it used...
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6804


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:14:30 PM »

I haven't played it myself yet, but most of the impressions I've read have been very positive.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15845


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:31:57 PM »

Once you get past the slow first three hours or so (in which the game is basically trying to tell you the story, plot, etc), the game is pretty much all action from there on out.

35 hours in right now and am at what looks like the home stretch. And I could extend that by a bunch of hours easily now, just searching for one of the 'uber' items and gaining levels.

Fantastic hack and slash with a dash of story on the side. Makes it far better than most of the other games of this genre out there.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 32 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.032s, 2q)