http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 09:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did Nintendo get the Resident Evil series?  (Read 1058 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:45:02 PM »

This isn't a bashing post in any way, I'm actually just curious.  I have had a gamecube since day one, and all the Nintendo consoles before it.  I'm just wondering, how did they land the Resident Evil series?  Not because of the much talked of kiddie-aspect of Nintendo (which I don't share the same opinion), but because of total market share.  RE:Remake and RE0 were both really good games, IMHO.  I think the other 3 and Veronica sold like hot cakes too.  I wonder how many copies would have sold if it was released on another console, or all three for that matter.  What did Nintendo do to get Capcom to commit to Nintendo's console?  Does anyone know or remember what the selling point was?
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 04:06:20 PM »

Nintendo:  Gaaaaaazeeeee into my eeeeeevil eye!
Capcom:  How may I serve you, Evil One?

Tongue

*shrug*  I've never heard any details about it; I presume Nintendo simply found a way to persuade Capcom to support the GameCube early on.  I guess Nintendo was looking to diversify their product line - get away for their just-for-kids image - while Capcom...well, I'm not sure what they got out of jumping ship from Sony.  Free ponies?

But it seems clear Capcom has reconsidered their position, considering how most of their "GC-exclusive" titles have or will be coming to the PS2.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »

I'm sure there was some level of financial incentive involved, wihether a straight-up cash paymnent or a discount on royalty fees.  

There's no doubt that the series saw fewer sales from it- both REmake and RE0 clocked in at approx 500k copies sold while the PS2 port of Code: Veronica (originally released on Dreamcast) sold over 750k.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:07:04 PM »

Unbongwah, I remember reading that RE4 will be released on the PS2 eventually, but what about the other two RE exclusives for the GC?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »

Man, I hope RE4 sells oodles on the Cube. I hope Nintendo keeps pumping commercials and that word of mouth spreads like wildfire. A buddy and I are the only ones of our friends who have Nintendos - or who really play videogames regularly for that matter - so I take it as a good thing when our other "normal" friends ask us about RE4 after seeing an ad on television, interested and impressed by the concept and visuals shown. Those are the kind of guys that Nintendo needs to impress ... now if only they’d buy a GameCube and get the game.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:46:03 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Man, I hope RE4 sells oodles on the Cube. I hope Nintendo keeps pumping commercials and that word of mouth spreads like wildfire. A buddy and I are the only ones of our friends who have Nintendos - or who really play videogames regularly for that matter - so I take it as a good thing when our other "normal" friends ask us about RE4 after seeing an ad on television, interested and impressed by the concept and visuals shown. Those are the kind of guys that Nintendo needs to impress ... now if only they’d buy a GameCube and get the game.

Then Nintendo really need to do some bundling like RE4 Platinum Edition that come with a Game Cube.smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 06:56:03 PM »

In all actuality it looks like Nintendo did very little to get the RE series exclusive. As simple as giving a break on Licensing fees.

It really came from the fact that Shinji Mikami, the series creator hates, loathes and abhors Sony.

It's also why he's left the company, he still works for Clover Studios but they are separate of Capcom now.

Remake and RE0 sold fairly well worldwide but nearly as well as they could've if they had a multiple system release. What can you do? Capcom let Mikami dictate business and he chose wrong.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 09:56:27 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Unbongwah, I remember reading that RE4 will be released on the PS2 eventually, but what about the other two RE exclusives for the GC?

I presume you mean RE0 and the remake of the original.  I've heard nothing about either one being ported to any other systems.  Of course, given how shamelessly Capcom milks its cash cows, I will eat my hat if RE0 and the RE1 remake never show up on any other systems.

[Disclaimer: my hat is made of chocolate.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: