http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 08:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How fast are your marketplace downloads?
[wired connection] as fast as my pc - 8 (32%)
[wireless connection] as fast as my pc - 7 (28%)
[wired connection] always slower than my pc - 4 (16%)
[wireless connection] always slower than my pc - 3 (12%)
[wired connection] depends on time of day/month - 2 (8%)
[wireless connection] depends on time of day/month - 1 (4%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are your Xbox Live download speeds?  (Read 739 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »

I have incredibly slow marketplace downloads on wireless and I want to know if I just need to shut up and deal with it. Any hints on how to diagnose the issue would be appreciated as well. I have "open" NAT settings on my connection test, and UPnP opens up the right ports when I am online, so I know it's not that.  Supposedly MS had put a download test out a while back where you could compare file downloads from the Live servers vs. regular MS servers but it seems to have been taken down.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:41 AM »

Mine is wired and I can download most demos in under 20 minutes.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:42:58 AM »

Since it never really shows download speeds per second, I honestly have no idea. I haven't really had problems, but I don't usually sit and wait for stuff to download.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »

like Gator i am wired and the past month or so i have been getting demos quite fast....i rented out transformers last saturday at 1.6gig or something like that and it took 45minutes to download which i thought was quite respectable

the lost interview at 270mb yesterday took about 5 minutes if that

but there has been times when it has been death,like when the xbox originals first came out,i downloaded fable and farenheit(indigo prophecy)and that took about 3 days,lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

Wireless to the 360 (when my internet is actually up) and I can download most things in 5 mins or less.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

As a comparitive benchmark, I have Gametap on my PC and I'd say that Live games and demos of the same size download quicker.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:57:59 PM by kronovan » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »

Ever since Live started having problems at the start of the year, download speeds have been inconsistent for me.  Since the 360ís launch, Iíve always been on a wireless connection and downloads speeds were always crazy fast (couldnít give you an exact speed, but it felt like my ISP, not Live, was the limiting factor).  

While things have recently improved, I still have problems with the occasional file.  Iíve had some large demos take several sessions over several days to download.  It definitely seems to be an issue with Live and not my wireless connection.

16-bit and loving it!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

Hmph, there has to be some way to fix this.  I downloaded Puzzle Quest last night and the 80MB file took about 2 hours.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 29, 2008, 04:38:49 PM

Hmph, there has to be some way to fix this.  I downloaded Puzzle Quest last night and the 80MB file took about 2 hours.

So you're connection is always that slow?  Or does the speed sometimes improve?

If the speed varies, it's probably a problem with Live, or some type of wireless interference in your home.  My only suggestion would be if you have a wireless PC to see if its having problems at the same time as your 360.  Or if possible plug an ethernet cable directly into the 360.  You might also want to try cancelling and restarting your downloads, or trying in non peak traffic times.

Regardless, your speeds shouldn't be that slow, but it would be nice to know if it's your problem or Microsofts.

16-bit and loving it!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on February 29, 2008, 04:45:42 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 29, 2008, 04:38:49 PM

So you're connection is always that slow?  Or does the speed sometimes improve?

If the speed varies, it's probably a problem with Live, or some type of wireless interference in your home.  My only suggestion would be if you have a wireless PC to see if its having problems at the same time as your 360.  Or if possible plug an ethernet cable directly into the 360.  You might also want to try cancelling and restarting your downloads, or trying in non peak traffic times.

Regardless, your speeds shouldn't be that slow, but it would be nice to know if it's your problem or Microsofts.

When I first got my 360 and used it wired, my downloads were fast.  Since I have had my wireless adapter, speeds are slow.  There are quite a few other wireless computing devices in my house (a few Tivo's, a few computers) and they all perform great, even when I am using the 360.  Unfortunately I can't run the 360 wired because I don't have a good place to run the wire - before I had the wireless adapter I was running it through an area it was easily tripped over.

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »

How long ago did you switch over to wireless?  It could very well be your wireless connection, but as I said earlier, Live's performance has been very hit or miss since the start of the new year.  Lately my downloads seem back up to snuff, but its still not 100%.

16-bit and loving it!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 05:14:43 AM »

On a wired router with Comcast cable, my speeds range from "Crap, that's pretty slow" to "You've got to be shitting me!".  Set an HD movie to download this afternoon (5.5 GB).  Three and a half hours later, it just hit 35% done.  Needless to say, I don't get many movies through XBL.  frown

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: