http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 10:14:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you feeling about your pre-orders now?  (Read 9916 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: September 30, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on September 29, 2013, 04:12:29 PM

All of this is very perplexing though, given the "infinite" power of the cloud on the XB1!  icon_twisted

It isn't a cloud-based game - if it were, they would have had to specifically develop for it - and thus add new challenges to development teams trying to make a consistent experience across, what, five-to-seven platforms?

Quote from: Hetz on September 29, 2013, 07:04:30 PM

Yes, unfortunately the have been rumors of forced downgrades on PS4 versions of some games, so as not to embarrass M$. Politics suck.

Well, the PC version is *also* on an MS platform, so, uhm, yeah, there's that. I think the point you're missing (it must be lost in all that vitriol from when MS kicked your dog) is that it has nothing to do with console-wars - developers want to have a consistent product released to the market. They don't want to hedge bets - they already compete against other games - why pick sides? That's what the open marketplace is for.

Perhaps you should be asking $ony how it is that they would "never ever charge for online play", and every console released from PS3 onwards would always be backwards compatible, so that you could play, for free, your PS3 version on your new PS4?

Fact of the matter is, until we get into second-gen games, we're not going to see much difference in the offerings, save games developed solely for that platform.

Were I not:

A) doing game reviews,
B) a sucker for new-shiny and
C) a sucker for new-shiny

I wouldn't touch either console till next year.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: September 30, 2013, 01:54:51 AM »

Yep, but power does factor into it though, if only for this generation of consoles due to their very PC-like architectures. For the same reason that people want a more powerful PC, one console being more powerful does have that draw. But you are right, so long as a console gets its games and are playable

After all, the PS3 and 3DS are an example. Once they got their games, it was enough to bring those into profitability.

But I think the big reason why things like power are coming up is that the PS4 is currently on a roll with a lot of things going right, MS screwing up its pre-launch message, and the architectures being so similar.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2013, 01:27:12 AM

A) doing game reviews,

I'm b & c and I'm still not touching the PS4 for at least a year, they're just not offering anything to entice me right now.  if they had made Second Son, Deep Down (well, Deep Down when we thought it might be a new Dragon's Dogma) and a third game that impressed me launch titles I'd still have my PS4 pre-order, but maybe next year there will be 2 more must haves for me that are exclusives.  They have to be exclusives though, no practical point in dropping $400 for a system if I can already play a game on a system I already have.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 30, 2013, 02:47:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2013, 02:40:00 AM

A) doing game reviews,

I'm b & c and I'm still not touching the PS4 for at least a year, they're just not offering anything to entice me right now.  if they had made Second Son, Deep Down (well, Deep Down when we thought it might be a new Dragon's Dogma) and a third game that impressed me launch titles I'd still have my PS4 pre-order, but maybe next year there will be 2 more must haves for me that are exclusives.  They have to be exclusives though, no practical point in dropping $400 for a system if I can already play a game on a system I already have.

I like the shiny shiny as well and I figure that each console will release an exclusive game I want to play way before a price drop for the systems so why not jump in on day one if the money isn't an issue.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 30, 2013, 02:58:31 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on September 30, 2013, 02:47:28 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2013, 02:40:00 AM

A) doing game reviews,

I like the shiny shiny as well and I figure that each console will release an exclusive game I want to play way before a price drop for the systems so why not jump in on day one if the money isn't an issue.

money isn't an issue, but I figure why let something sit around if you aren't going to use it?  I buy the PS4 now, it sits around not being used until February, where I use it for maybe 20-25 hours, then it sits around for however long until getting used again.  Knowing me, I'd end up selling it (like I did with the Wii, 3DS and PS2) and then having to rebuy it again later on (like I did with the Wii, PS2 and soon 3DS).  nope, just as I am being more particular with Steam sales, console games, MP3's, books and blu rays I'm not going to buy a new console until I know it will get used for quite a bit of time.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2013, 03:05:03 AM »

and besides, by the time the PS4 has 3 exclusives I want to play there may very well be a price drop, or I could snag one used biggrin

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2013, 03:55:51 AM »

Going back to the cloud stuff, I'm willing to bet that Microsoft didn't spin up 300,000 servers just for the hell of it, or to support a technology that doesn't actually do anything. People act like because "the cloud" has been around forever that there are no new ways in which to utilize it. If you go look up Nvidia CloudLight you'll see a working system to offload graphics (in this case, lighting) to cloud resources.

That doesn't mean Xbone games will be infinitely powerful, but it does mean there are people working on ways to harness cloud resources in gaming. As the technology matures, there is real potential for some cool stuff. In short, I trust Microsoft's engineers more than I trust a bunch of armchair quarterbacks on the internet.

In regards to the console wars, if I had no gaming PC I'd probably buy the PS4 to play the cross-platform titles now, and wait to see how the Xbox shook out. I think both systems will ultimately be worth owning though. My end-game goal is to have the Xbone as my downstairs all-in-one device, and my PS4 upstairs as a dedicated gaming machine. I still plan on going with the Xbox for launch (due to the better launch lineup IMO), and buy a PS4 in 2014 once they have something besides Knack to play.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2013, 04:01:49 AM »

Yeah, Knack wasn't worth owning the system for (having hands-on time with it).

The particle-built character was impressive, but the game played like Crash Bandicoot. By that, I mean in all respects, including the era of game control, environmental immersiveness, etc. Unless they spice it up, it will be the PS4's answer to Kameo - except without any of the free-roaming, or radically different powers.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 30, 2013, 04:30:26 AM »

Yeah I don't think I give two craps about any of the launch exclusives for either system. I'm really just buying a PS4 for prettier versions of games that would be available on the 360/PS3. I imagine Naughty Dog will eventually release an exclusive I want, but other than that I can't think of a system seller for me personally.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2013, 05:43:32 AM »

Nvidia's cloudlight's requirements were extreme to the point of effectively being useless until well past the point of this console generation being over. The bandwidth requirements, combined with the ridiculously costly server hardware requirements, multiplied by the number of potential users, there's just no way. Cloudlight is just another ridiculous NVidia tech. Interesting to see, and a useful experiment, but by the time the world is ready for it.

Likewise, dynamic servers (because I hate the marketing moniker of cloud) will be useful in the short term as a replacement for more expensive server setups, but that's also nothing new.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 30, 2013, 04:30:26 AM

Yeah I don't think I give two craps about any of the launch exclusives for either system. I'm really just buying a PS4 for prettier versions of games that would be available on the 360/PS3. I imagine Naughty Dog will eventually release an exclusive I want, but other than that I can't think of a system seller for me personally.

That is my reason as well. I am moderately interested in Killzone, as I liked the others and this one looks incredible. Knack looks ok and I am sure my kids will like it, but I could take it or leave it. Like I said before, Ryse and Dead Rising 3 had my attention....but after impressions and really thinking about it, well I just figured I can get them later at a much lower price.

The whole "upgrade for $10 and keep your original PS3 game" sold me. Though, I am concerned about download sizes in the next gen. Just read this morning that the new Killzone is over 50GB! I'll be getting the physical version of that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-28-sony-on-ps4-the-format-war-is-a-marathon-not-a-sprint

Killzone: Shadow Fall is an uber file - I think it's cracking on for 50GB. It looks it, too, when you see it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

I just canceled my PS4 pre-order. Man that hurt. Feels like I've been punched in the gut. As a gamer and a grown-ass man I just want all of them, but I had to be realistic. Come on Xbone, please don't let me down.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 30, 2013, 07:08:40 PM

I just canceled my PS4 pre-order. Man that hurt. Feels like I've been punched in the gut. As a gamer and a grown-ass man I just want all of them, but I had to be realistic. Come on Xbone, please don't let me down.

Yep, I felt the same way when I cancelled my XB1 preorder. It honestly felt like I had just been punched in the gut. No matter what you end up getting, it sucks having to cancel one or the other.  frown

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on September 30, 2013, 07:16:11 PM

Yep, I felt the same way when I cancelled my XB1 preorder. It honestly felt like I had just been punched in the gut. No matter what you end up getting, it sucks having to cancel one or the other.  frown

I'm currently wavering - my PS4 preorder is more likely to go away (given my interest in the exclusives and the "Kinect" experience + Minecraft for the boy).

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I figure I can play chicken with destiny a little bit longer.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2013, 07:19:16 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I figure I can play chicken with destiny a little bit longer.

This is where I am. I can't afford either right now (hoping to flip) and nothing has really sold me that it's time for new consoles to come out at this time, but I just can't cancel em yet.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

Why cancel a PS4 order even if you are getting an Xbone?

#resell
#highdemand
#profit
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2013, 07:19:16 PM

Quote from: Hetz on September 30, 2013, 07:16:11 PM

I'm currently wavering - my PS4 preorder is more likely to go away (given my interest in the exclusives and the "Kinect" experience + Minecraft for the boy).

Minecraft is huge in my house as well, with my son being heavily addicted to it on the 360. When Sony announced that it was going to be on the PS4 at launch and on the Vita....well that made it much easier to cancel my XB1 preorder. If it wasn't coming to the PS4, I probably would have been forced to keep the XB1. The fact that the XB1 version of Minecraft won't be out at launch, really put a dent in my sons excitement for the console.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 30, 2013, 07:44:03 PM

Why cancel a PS4 order even if you are getting an Xbone?

#resell
#highdemand
#profit

Yep, you should be able to make a nice chunk of change on the PS4.....if you can swing getting both.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »

I wouldn't bet on it. Sony has made it clear that all preorders so far will be fulfilled this year, and even those buying in stores without preordering will have a chance (though they're not willing to promise anything there). This isn't at all as bad as the previous generation (which had people losing tons of money through this kind kind of speculation) since there will be plenty of stock for once.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »

I am feeling better about my preorder now that I see Skylanders Swap Force will be a "release window" title. My kid would be very, very sad if his ability to play Skylanders went away.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 30, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

I wouldn't bet on it. Sony has made it clear that all preorders so far will be fulfilled this year, and even those buying in stores without preordering will have a chance (though they're not willing to promise anything there). This isn't at all as bad as the previous generation (which had people losing tons of money through this kind kind of speculation) since there will be plenty of stock for once.

Sony said it could sell as many as it could produce.    That will equal profits for resellers.

There will be a scramble for units the first few weeks.    Probably won't last as long as the last gen, but desperate parents around Christmas that don't preorder will be scrambling.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »

I heard someone else advise sell the XB1 instead smile

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 30, 2013, 09:55:28 PM

I heard someone else advise sell the XB1 instead smile

To be fair, that was before I really knew how bad the fallout was from the XB1 180 along with the much stronger PS4 preorder numbers and as TiLT pointed out....stock sounds like it is going to be much stronger than in previous generations.

Reuters had poll results published today showing the PS4 having a healthy lead over the XB1 in those who are planning to buy a system this year....though to be fair, 64% said they were getting neither of them. So, demand will be on the side of the PS4...but it all really will come down to stock.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 30, 2013, 08:51:57 PM

I am feeling better about my preorder now that I see Skylanders Swap Force will be a "release window" title. My kid would be very, very sad if his ability to play Skylanders went away.

He has to wait a month after it releases for current gen consoles to get it, though. I'm waiting for the PS4 version myself, but it will stink seeing the toys out there and not be able to do anything with them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

The PS4 would have outsold Xbox at launch regardless of the bad press. Launches are decided on cost, and a $100 difference in cost is not insignificant.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:09 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 01, 2013, 12:03:52 AM

The PS4 would have outsold Xbox at launch regardless of the bad press. Launches are decided on cost, and a $100 difference in cost is not insignificant.

You underestimate the power of brand loyalty.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 01, 2013, 04:37:09 AM

It can also be preference for the way one company does things over the other....and controller slywink.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »

But you don't know the controllers?

A new one
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 01, 2013, 01:33:28 PM

It can also be preference for the way one company does things over the other....and controller slywink.
Unless you've had hands on time with the PS4 and XB1 controller, making a decision based on those seems a bit silly.   They are both redesigned from current gen, and in the PS4 case rather significantly.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »

I have zero confidence that Sony will stay humble.     They owned the world during the PS2 days, and they are now about to ascend to the throne once again.     Will they be a benevolent ruler, or is this ushering in yet another rein of terror?

We shall see.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM

Unless you've had hands on time with the PS4 and XB1 controller, making a decision based on those seems a bit silly.   They are both redesigned from current gen, and in the PS4 case rather significantly.

Buyers make decisions on past products, regardless if it's fair. There is enough press saying the controller is significantly different. We'll see. smile

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 01, 2013, 02:37:59 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 01, 2013, 01:41:23 PM

Buyers make decisions on past products, regardless if it's fair. There is enough press saying the controller is significantly different. We'll see. smile
Sure the uninformed public.  I expect the types of folks that visit a forum such as this to be better clued in.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 01, 2013, 01:47:47 PM

I have zero confidence that Sony will stay humble.     They owned the world during the PS2 days, and they are now about to ascend to the throne once again.     Will they be a benevolent ruler, or is this ushering in yet another rein of terror?

We shall see.

It took a whole console cycle of the PS2 for that hubris to bite them in the ass, though, and they really do seem to have learned their lesson.  Hopefully it'll stick for even longer this time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: October 01, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »

We shall see.

And Microsoft is being humble in their stead? Please.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 01, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 01, 2013, 04:35:45 PM

I have zero confidence that Sony will stay humble.     They owned the world during the PS2 days, and they are now about to ascend to the throne once again.     Will they be a benevolent ruler, or is this ushering in yet another rein of terror?

We shall see.

They 180'd on several key differentiators. IMO, that's pretty humbling.

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 01, 2013, 04:32:51 PM

Sure the uninformed public.  I expect the types of folks that visit a forum such as this to be better clued in.

Of course. We were talking about sales numbers though.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 01, 2013, 04:40:30 PM

It's something, but humble isn't really the word I would have used. If they were humble they wouldn't be forcing Kinect upon people who don't want it, telling the customer that they just don't understand the product in the process. "We know better than you" isn't humility.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 01, 2013, 04:35:45 PM

We shall see.

MS's hubris might have cost them this gen and has certainly hurt them coming out the gate, but Sony's hubris cost them last gen early as well, but that experience humbled them.  Again, if Sony ascend to the throne like everyone is expecting then  history has shown twice so far,   that the current King starts believing that their shit doesn't stink and the masses will follow.  His point is valid when it comes to Sony and MS. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: October 01, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 01, 2013, 04:43:34 PM

Quote from: Purge on October 01, 2013, 04:40:30 PM

It's something, but humble isn't really the word I would have used. If they were humble they wouldn't be forcing Kinect upon people who don't want it, telling the customer that they just don't understand the product in the process. "We know better than you" isn't humility.

We *don't* know their product - it isn't out yet.

Nevermind one or two motion-based genrese as reasons for it (or the plethora of options for gaming enhancements), I can think of 8.5 Billion reasons.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 01, 2013, 05:09:25 PM

We *don't* know their product - it isn't out yet.

And that changes the point of what I was saying... how, exactly?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

because the customer actually DOESN'T understand the importance of the Kinect.

I rarely use my phone's camera, but I don't get all shitty at Apple for including one and making me pay for it.  You guys are odd to me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: