http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:10:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you feeling about your pre-orders now?  (Read 8574 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 13, 2013, 02:57:27 PM

I can't really believe the numbers anyways. As much as I'm rooting for Sony (damn right I am, as I only plan on buying one console this gen so I want the best) I just can't believe it. MS has screwed up big time this generation but I can't believe for a second that they let their main competition make their console one and a half times more powerful than their own.

The difference isn't that huge, but it's apparently a real difference and one that we will notice very well before long. Unoptimized code will work better on the PS4 right away because it's a more straightforward memory architecture than the Xbox One, which assumes that you write specialized code to target its 32 MB cache which the PS4 doesn't have. Once an application is written to fully use that cache, the difference between the two lessens. One number I saw indicated that the unoptimized first pass of the next-gen port for the new Call of Duty ran at 1080p 90fps on the PS4, while the same port on XB1 ran at a slightly lower resolution with 15 fps. But of course that doesn't reflect the final product the consumers will see, and some of this is caused by Sony being somewhat ahead of Microsoft when it comes to the current status of the developer tools (the PS4 SKU was supposedly finalized and made available a couple of weeks ago, while the XB1's SKU isn't done yet). It's unlikely we'll be able to tell much, if any, difference between the PS4 and XB1 versions of CoD by the time it hits stores.

Holding one version back to maintain parity with the other console is logical though. Just look at the Assassin's Creed video that was shown yesterday. Notice how it talks about the great new features they're adding to the next-gen versions of the game but never actually talk about or show the current-gen versions. This is most likely because they don't want anyone to feel like they bought the "crappy" version of the game. It's the same with PS4 vs Xbox One. If the latter ran or looked noticeably worse than the former, Ubisoft would have alienated the entire Xbox One user base. It's better for them to keep the versions similar, even if one of them could have been pushed further.

Will comparison videos eventually favor the PS4 in the coming gen? According to these articles and other sources that have talked about this since E3, that's very likely, and the difference could end up being quite big. This time it's Microsoft having the more complicated hardware and developer tools. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:13:40 PM by TiLT » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »

If I didn't have a nice gaming PC, I think I'd be giving the technical gap a lot more weight in my decision-making. As it stands, though, buying a PS4 would be essentially buying something I already own. So I'm still comfortable with sticking with the Xbox One pre-order. At this point I want a console that complements the gaming I do on my PC, but doesn't necessarily replace it.

If PS4 does turn out to be all that and a bag of chips, I'll spring for one down the road when my PC starts showing its age.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 13, 2013, 03:27:22 PM

If I didn't have a nice gaming PC, I think I'd be giving the technical gap a lot more weight in my decision-making. As it stands, though, buying a PS4 would be essentially buying something I already own. So I'm still comfortable with sticking with the Xbox One pre-order. At this point I want a console that complements the gaming I do on my PC, but doesn't necessarily replace it.

If PS4 does turn out to be all that and a bag of chips, I'll spring for one down the road when my PC starts showing its age.

How does owning a nice PC mean you essentially own a PS4?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »

I'm actually taking it one more step then you.  I'm cancelling both preorders and stick to the PC since 1: my PC specs are better than the consoles.  2: Most of the games that are being launched are also coming to the PC.   3: Non-PC launch games don't really interest me.    The xbox with all the things they did and what they present, doesn't interest me right now.  I only preordered to use it as a place holder once I made an informed decision on which to buy.  It just turns out, I'm buying neither

I'm not saying I'm better than you because of my choice, I'm just saying that right now, it doesn't make much sense to buy the next gen when there's not much to offer.  At some point I'll buy the ps4 and play their exclusives.  But why do so now when there's not much out, and by waiting I can more than likely get a better deal or possible bundle.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

Quote from: Ridah
How does owning a nice PC mean you essentially own a PS4?

Most of the big AAA titles coming out will be PC titles as well (AC4, Witcher 3, BF4, COD:Ghosts, Watch Dogs, etc.) So if my goal is to get the best looking version (and probably cheaper version), it would make sense to go PC with these titles. That leaves me only one reason to buy the PS4 - exclusives. So far, there aren't any PS4 exclusives in the launch window that I'm remotely interested in playing. So to buy a PS4 now would be essentially buying a box that does something slightly inferior to what my PC already does.

On the other hand, the Xbox One has several exclusives such as Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 that do not have accompanying PC versions that I'm interested in playing. In addition it has the TV integration features and Kinect that are not available on my PC. So in that sense, by going Xbox One I'm getting a lot more "stuff" I can't do with my PC.

And naed, I can certainly respect your decision. It's really what I *should* do right now, but I can't stand not being part of the console hype train. Too much of a gadget freak I guess.  icon_biggrin

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Again this is so damn weird to me as Xbox has traditionally had far more crossover with the PC than Playstation.  Just look at the two most anticipated games for the consoles coming out.  On the XB1 side, Titan Fall is coming to the PC, and on the Sony side Infamous: Second Son will never come to the PC.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

I'm not buying the arguments that the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1 by any meaningful measure, there's too many variables and subjective factors here to make that determination in my opinion. That Edge-Online article doesn't cite who its "contacts" are AND at the bottom of the article it states that Microsoft has been lagging with their graphics drivers which is a software issue, not hardware. There's hardly anything empirical here to claim that Sony is the clear hardware winner here.

That being said, I'm not doubting that one platform may be more powerful or easier to develop for than the other, I simply believe the difference so marginal that even if developers weren't supposedly "castrating" the PS4 versions, the end user wouldn't notice a difference even if they were looking for it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

Again this is so damn weird to me as Xbox has traditionally had far more crossover with the PS than Playstation.  Just look at the two most anticipated games for the consoles coming out.  On the XB1 side, Titan Fall is coming to the PC, and on the Sony side Infamous Second Son will never come to the PC.

Over the life of the console you're probably right, but I'm looking at short term purchasing decision. Right now there are no PS4 exclusives I really want to play. Down the road, there certainly well may be.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

I have scrounged and emptied my attic and closets and sold a crapload of stuff on eBay to accumulate $810.   I still have a few games and items I can sell that will bring me up to the $900 or so I need to pull the trigger on both consoles.

I will not participate in fanboi wars because I bring to bear the entire arsenal of the next generation gaming platforms.    Bow before me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 13, 2013, 03:42:29 PM

Again this is so damn weird to me as Xbox has traditionally had far more crossover with the PC than Playstation.  Just look at the two most anticipated games for the consoles coming out.  On the XB1 side, Titan Fall is coming to the PC, and on the Sony side Infamous: Second Son will never come to the PC.

at least I'll be able to buy Second Son used and probably trade it back in for store credit (or rent it), and that thought has me debating the decision to always go for the PC version.  at least for games I don't care about keeping, that is.  granted, I'm not going to run out and drop 400 bucks for a system that only has 1 game I am definitely interested in, but maybe my buying patterns will change with the games that are both XB1 and PC releases. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

I cancelled my PS4 preorder because the next few months of my life are looking to be mighty expensive, but the more I hear about how well the Oculus Rift is coming along the more I'm thinking that's an even better reason for me to pass on a PS4/Xbone purchase for the time being.  If my next gaming hardware purchase is a Rift and a new PC to support it, I'll be able to play most regular next-gen titles and the hot new VR stuff. 

It's hard to predict the future of course, but I can easily envision being more excited about Rift "exclusives" than I am about PS4 or Xbone exclusives.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2013, 04:06:35 PM

I cancelled my PS4 preorder because the next few months of my life are looking to be mighty expensive, but the more I hear about how well the Oculus Rift is coming along the more I'm thinking that's an even better reason for me to pass on a PS4/Xbone purchase for the time being.  If my next gaming hardware purchase is a Rift and a new PC to support it, I'll be able to play most regular next-gen titles and the hot new VR stuff. 

It's hard to predict the future of course, but I can easily envision being more excited about Rift "exclusives" than I am about PS4 or Xbone exclusives.

Did you miss all the PS4 VR rumors?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

the closer we get to the launch date, the closer I get to cancelling.  Even the console exclusives aren't looking worth the expense when compared against the PC games coming.  sure, I'll miss some games I'm interested in, but that's happened numerous times already with other consoles, even those I own.  there's just not enough time to play everything, and I need to admit that the hype and excitement of owning a new console on release day is driving a good part of my interest.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 13, 2013, 01:20:21 PM

PS4 more powerful, some dev commentary

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

I'm going to take a wild guess that it's EA that would be castrating their PS4 versions to lower them to be on par with XB1 to not offend Microsoft.

of course the Cloud may help.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 13, 2013, 04:40:54 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on September 13, 2013, 04:06:35 PM

Did you miss all the PS4 VR rumors?

Yes, but I don't think the market can support two VR platforms, or at least not well.  And between the two, the Rift is more of a known quantity, has more momentum, and I think will get the majority of the initial experimental indie games.

Even if Sony does come out with a competitive VR platform, the Rift will work for Star Citizen and Sony's VR won't, and that's enough of a reason for me to go to the Rift side.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

I'm not buying the arguments that the PS4 is more powerful than the XB1 by any meaningful measure

At this point, anyone believing that the Xbox One will be more or equally powerful than the PS4 is relying on faith rather than facts. Here's the gist of what we know:

• The PS4 has a much faster CPU/GPU than the Xbox One. If you were to judge this by previous generations this wouldn't be of much importance, but this new generation isn't at all comparable to those since, for the first time ever, we have two primary consoles that are very close to each other in their design.
  • The PS4 has a very simple memory pool, which has typically been the most challenging part of earlier console designs, and particularly the PS3. This new design was based on developer wishes. Sony went for a GDDR5 solution which is typically faster than the DDR3 solution the Xbox One uses, with a few exceptions where it will be opposite. The Xbox One's main weakness in this regard is that its speed relies on the aforementioned 32 MB cache, which is going to be tricky to program for and which will become gradually trickier as the generation progresses and memory requirements get more intense.
  • Multiple developers are reporting, to multiple recipients, that the PS4 is simpler to develop for and produces more effective results than the Xbox One. These sources are naturally anonymous since they would lose their jobs if they weren't, but as long as these statements are presented through a reliable news source, it's reasonably safe to assume that they are correct. This is how news are reported every day. Most sources in regular news are anonymous, and few if any bat an eye at this. Why should games be different? Btw, Edge is a very reputable source for this kind of thing. If they say they've talked to multiple developers, they've talked to multiple developers.
  • The current state of the SDK won't have much of an impact on the console in a few years, but it has an impact now. We're two months away from launch, and the Xbox One developers haven't got a finalized set of tools yet. They will have a hard time optimizing their games under these conditions, so they're going to play it safe. We're seeing this in titles like Assassin's Creed, which doesn't exactly look next-gen even with the enhancements they are adding. This might not be an issue in 3 years. Sony completely overhauled their own developer tools within the first few years of the PS3's life cycle, after all.
  • Developers are saying that the PS4 API is easier to program for than the Xbox One API and gives more flexibility in its direct access to the hardware. This is possibly related to the state of the SDK, but also hints at fundamental design differences.

TLDR: The PS4 has more powerful hardware, is easier to develop for (both because of tools and because of hardware design), and multiple reliable reports from developers say that the difference between the two consoles in power and ease of development is pretty dramatic at the moment.

There is nothing to buy with this. The only question is whether it will be a dramatic enough difference in the end that players will notice. The reports say yes, and that it will only get more pronounced over time. Since most of the reasons are caused by hardware, there isn't really much MS can do to rectify the situation. They can close the gap somewhat with stronger software tools, but that's about it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »

Not sure if people know, but we're already seeing such a difference now in current gen. The late late stuff that isn't first party is running like crap on the PS3. There are huge differences. Heck, the digital foundry site has a whole section dedicated to showing those difference, big or small.

As for developers, hobbling their games, it might occur early on. However, if the PS4 is really outselling the XB1 to a level that reports indicate, more and more developers

Also, some basic optimizations to the XB1 version can still make the PS4 version run faster, and vice versa. It's the very specific stuff that can't be directly ported over. However, in optimizing for one platform, you can actually learn techniques that optimize for all platforms, as happened this gen with developers learning the weird PS3 architecture forcing them to make better use of the 360's 3 core CPU.

As Tilt says, how much players notice will be up to how well developers can hide the differences. A problem I see coming up is that with everything being 1080p native now, it's a bit harder to hide performance concessions as you don't have the upscale from 720p native to hide in. Although many developers still render to sub-native resolutions and upscale, a technique that seems to work for many to preserver FPS.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2013, 12:57:25 AM »

Of course, all of this only matters to tech/game geeks like us. I believe PS4 will come out on top this generation, but hardware power rarely ever decides console wars. To the average consumer buying a console this Christmas, that $399 price point is going to matter far more than shader capability and faster RAM.

You also have to keep in mind that most people are going to buy one console or the other, and never have a chance to see direct comparisons. Without that frame of reference, does it really matter if the Xbox version runs at a 20% slower frame rate? If what I'm playing looks better than the last gen, that difference is irrelevant. Case in point, people play games all the time on various levels of PCs with games that scale to their machine's capabilities and never bat an eye at the idea that someone with the next video card up is getting 15% better framerates.

I don't really buy the arguments about the Xbox memory architecture being so much harder to program for being a decisive factor either. The PS3 had an entirely novel architecture that was extremely difficult to program for at launch, but that system eventually gained parity. That was an entire architecture shift, not just a RAM tweak.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:44:55 AM by YellowKing » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2013, 03:03:03 AM »

/yawn

I thought for a mili-instant about the predictions of the PS3 failing and being lost to history that time when I was bathed in the glory of The Last of Us.

I predict I'll think for a mili-instant about the predictions in this thread and on this forum when I'm neck deep in some Xbone title 5 years from now.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2013, 04:16:45 AM »

I think that, *if implemented well*, the whole Kinect integration may find itself in Wii-land, where the platform gets a tremendous boost from otherwise non-gaming users - but I'd not bet the bank on either the implementation, or word of mouth to help them in that. They actually need to get some compelling advertising - and they tend not to sell themselves well.

Right now though, I know a few people who believe the MS licensing model is still the online-only one, and that kind of perception is going to lessen the initial market impact. How important will it be? Time will tell.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:18:21 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

What are the odds that MS will match Sony's pricing relatively soon after launch? Possible? Improbable? It's the one thing that MS hasn't backpedaled on so far. How will people feel if they drop the price from $499 to $399 a couple months after launch?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2013, 04:29:03 AM »

By the time MS is ready to lower the price on the XB1, Sony will also lower the price on the PS4. All reports say that the PS4's total package costs less than the XB1. The XB1's main cost addition is the Kinect 2, it's a pretty sophisticated sensor they went with now, and because they currently have no plans do drop the kinect requirement.

On the other hand, an MS execn interview did that that for next year, they might consider a box without the Kinect. I guess it all depends on just how far behind they are after this year.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2013, 04:30:21 AM »

I don't know that they'd go that far - I could see instead them bundling games with it with a moderate discount to show that "100" difference.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2013, 04:31:36 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 14, 2013, 04:29:03 AM

By the time MS is ready to lower the price on the XB1, Sony will also lower the price on the PS4. All reports say that the PS4's total package costs less than the XB1. The XB1's main cost addition is the Kinect 2, it's a pretty sophisticated sensor they went with now, and because they currently have no plans do drop the kinect requirement.

On the other hand, an MS execn interview did that that for next year, they might consider a box without the Kinect. I guess it all depends on just how far behind they are after this year.

That got squashed. They said unequivocally that no Xbox One would be sold without Kinect.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:13 AM »

a link. Phil Harrison is adamant about that.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2013, 07:37:39 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 14, 2013, 04:22:47 AM

What are the odds that MS will match Sony's pricing relatively soon after launch? Possible? Improbable?

I don't think upper management in Microsoft would ever allow it. Right now both companies are selling at a slight profit. If MS price matched the PS4, they'd lose a huge amount of money with every sale. The Kinect is far more expensive to produce than the $100 everyone keeps talking about. The MS developer who had an AMA on Reddit a month or two back revealed that the Kinect costs just as much, or maybe even more, than the console itself. This also explains why the Xbox One has weaker hardware than the PS4. The PS4 is actually more expensive, but MS compensates by including the Kinect.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 14, 2013, 04:16:45 AM

I think that, *if implemented well*, the whole Kinect integration may find itself in Wii-land, where the platform gets a tremendous boost from otherwise non-gaming users - but I'd not bet the bank on either the implementation, or word of mouth to help them in that. They actually need to get some compelling advertising - and they tend not to sell themselves well.

Right now though, I know a few people who believe the MS licensing model is still the online-only one, and that kind of perception is going to lessen the initial market impact. How important will it be? Time will tell.

The Wii was also cheap.  The same hordes who saw it as a good, inexpensive Christmas present (and then, when they couldn't get it for Christmas, were anxious for it the next few months), won't be feeling the same about Xbone.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »

Next few months? Christmas present? Dude, my grandmother bought one for HERSELF, and they were hard for find for almost two years. Yeah, price point may be a barrier. People also buy iPads, and laptops, and 3D TVs. I know people who buy consoles just for a single game: NHL (or Madden). This is not about what makes sense to us, but simply what the market can and will do.

Having your "tv" recognize you, bring your shit up and listen to what you have to say without touching a button is a pretty neat concept - and on a unified platform that allows you to do things like Skype to whomever and your TV becomes a videophone, or help you find a TV show without typing on a goddamn onscreen remote-control-interface is a godsend for the average person.

While there are things like facetime, having something accessible and simple for layfolk who may already have access to skype through other platforms has a ridiculous amount of draw, if they can get it out there in a clear and concise message. MS needs to overcome their awkwardness in how they present. That's really where they fall down HARD. Their products are no worse than anyone elses - they simply don't "make the needle move" (credit to gellar) when it comes to consumers.

Also, MS - try not to bring your waffles. That just confuses the hell out of everyone.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

hey, if MS found a way for their consoles to serve waffles I'd be like 'fuck you Sony and Nintendo'.... unless they upped the ante with french toast....

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »

Their waffles have online licensing syrup all over them though.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »

Microsoft's problem is that they have fallen completely out of touch with consumers. They are always looking so far ahead that they forget that they have to sell their products to people today, not people 5-10 years in the future. I have no doubt in my mind that the next generation of consoles will be media-less, always online DRM, and voice-controlled no matter who makes it. MS flew too close to the sun, and like poor Icarus, their wings melted and they had to crash back down to earth.

This doesn't make them a "bad" company. I clearly remember the same backlash Microsoft is getting now when Steam launched. People said it was the worst POS ever, they would never buy anything with online DRM, WTF is this about I can't sell my used game, blah blah blah. Now you have people buying online-DRM-laced games they'll never play just so they can get virtual trading cards. Microsoft's flaw wasn't the vision of online DRM, it was the complete and utter failure to predict how console gamers would react to that paradigm shift.

I believe that between the new Kinect and the integrated TV functionality/voice stuff, that the Xbone will win people over. But it won't be at launch, and it may not be in the first 2-3 years. Consumers are going to have to catch up to the technology. The only way I can see the Xbone being a complete flop is if Microsoft failed to really invest and push those features that differentiate it, and I've never seen Microsoft afraid to throw barrels of money at something they believe in. I believe they do have a solid vision, and one that is cool as hell - they just haven't clearly articulated it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:11:24 AM by YellowKing » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »

I actually wouldn't have minded a disc less console even if that meant always on DRM if they gave incentive for it. With being able to cut out physical media and the middleman retail store lower the prices. Come out and say all Day 1 games will be $49.99 instead of $60. You show that yea your making this change but here is a clear benefit for the consumer for going all digital. Steam enticed people to go this way on the PC with all the great sales they do, not just trying to force it down gamers throats.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 15, 2013, 01:08:11 AM

I believe that between the new Kinect and the integrated TV functionality/voice stuff, that the Xbone will win people over. But it won't be at launch, and it may not be in the first 2-3 years. Consumers are going to have to catch up to the technology. The only way I can see the Xbone being a complete flop is if Microsoft failed to really invest and push those features that differentiate it, and I've never seen Microsoft afraid to throw barrels of money at something they believe in. I believe they do have a solid vision, and one that is cool as hell - they just haven't clearly articulated it.

That stuff may be truely awesome, but I see them having a tough time communicating it to consumers. It isn't something they have a history of doing terribly well, in my opinion (see Zune, e.g.). They are dominant in some markets (PC OS), but that tends to be more because people see no alternative rather than because they think Microsoft products are amazing.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »

And one reason why they haven't been showing it was that, according to reports 2 months or so ago, and from Gamescom, the XB1's OS software is still in early shape right now.

It would be just as easy as showing direct, live footage of the OS and kinect controls and TV in action. But last reports said it was a little buggy, and extremely slow.

That's not to say they won't get it all working, but they should have had that stuff ready by the time they made the big announcement of their DRM scheme, to offset the negative aspects of that announcement.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2013, 03:24:44 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 15, 2013, 01:08:11 AM

I feel the TV stuff is 5 years too late.   The general trend is moving further and further away from live TV.   Nevermind DVRs, more and more people are just dumping cable entirely and using only streaming services, especially now where you can buy TV episodes the day after they air.   It doesn't strike me as forward looking at all.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »

Like this?

Having the Kinect control your other devices, incl. your receiver, TV and cable / DVD /BD players etc has nothing to do with subscription cable box service, and while the integration function with a better TV guide is convenient, by no means is that the only product they're offering.

TV shows aren't going away, they're simply changing how they get to us.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 16, 2013, 04:40:15 PM

TV shows aren't going away, they're simply changing how they get to us.

I want them streamed directly to my brain so I can watch reruns of Murphy Brown while I sleep.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:38 AM »

I'd rather have Boston Legal. Tongue

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 16, 2013, 04:40:15 PM

Like this?

Having the Kinect control your other devices, incl. your receiver, TV and cable / DVD /BD players etc

Kinect, turn on PS4. smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

Just canceled both of my preorders. At this point I can't justify spending the money, and I'd rather wait a while and see how things shake out.  Maybe next year sometime.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: