http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 02:55:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you feeling about your pre-orders now?  (Read 10138 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »

Way off topic, but super important.

If you buy a house, find a way to scrape up an extra month's worth if there's any way at all you can. A single extra payment takes YEARS off your mortgage.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »

Extra month's worth on the down payment, you mean?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 25, 2013, 11:17:18 PM

No, I mean once the mortgage is set up, make a double payment (or you could split up across more than one month). The point is, at the beginning of your mortgage, almost all the money goes to interest, not principal, so paying the equivalent of one extra month takes a lot of time off the length of the mortgage (because the extra all goes toward the principal. Iirc, on a 30 year, that one extra double payment takes off around 7 years. Don't recall the exact numbers, been a while.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2013, 01:26:22 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 25, 2013, 11:21:40 PM

No, I mean once the mortgage is set up, make a double payment (or you could split up across more than one month). The point is, at the beginning of your mortgage, almost all the money goes to interest, not principal, so paying the equivalent of one extra month takes a lot of time off the length of the mortgage (because the extra all goes toward the principal. Iirc, on a 30 year, that one extra double payment takes off around 7 years. Don't recall the exact numbers, been a while.

1 double payment per year
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »

I did this as well, good advice.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »

time to rename the topic 'How are you feeling about your mortgage now?' slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »

I don't know why you're surprised. The SNES & Genesis launch, PS & N64, PS2 & GameCube & Xbox... It's the same every time. You just can't have a discussion about console launches without the discussion turning to home lending.

-OR-

Godwin's Accountant's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of the discussion turning to practical home lending advice approaches 1.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 25, 2013, 02:19:31 PM

If I was looking at a 10 year life-cycle and I was Microsoft, I think I'd still be feeling pretty good. They've got two things Sony simply doesn't have - Kinect and built-in TV integration.

People who have a Cable TV connection (or whatever) have been steadily dropping, so that feature is getting less and less useful. And when I want to play a game console I want to do so without waving my hands around or whatever that absolutely did not work last generation on the 360, and I don't expect it to work much better this generation.

IMHO the Wii (not WiiU) controller worked (in a few games anyhow). Microsoft and Sony's 'knockoff' of it did not. Let me put my hands on the controller (or keyboard) and let me interact with the game in the best possible way.

Yes I realized it opened up a lot of genres that you couldn't do otherwise. And in every case I ignored said game.

TLDR: I don't expect Kinect 2 to be any better than Kinect as far as games go. And the Cable TV hookup is getting less useful of a feature by the day.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 24, 2013, 02:52:01 PM

Making a purchasing decision for an expensive console like this based on one or two launch titles would be incredibly short-sighted. That is, unless you feel that those few games justify spending $400 or $500 on alone.

Putting this much thought and discussion into a trivial purchase decision like this one is incredibly disappointing.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

...and I am an XBOner purely for Forza.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM

Quote from: faide on August 25, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

I have a ps4 on pre-order.  Thinking about cancelling it though. I do want one eventually, but looking at the release list nothing is screaming "I need this now!" to me.  The finances might appreciate that extra 400 around xmas time too slywink

Yeah, I'm starting to lean back this way as well.  Call of Battle Duty Fields 17 would be nifty, but I'm not balls to the walls craving much else in the launch window for either system.  Add in a bunch of new expenses I'm expecting between now and year-end, I may just cancel my PS4 and wait & see how the launches play out.

a lot of my desire died back once they announced The Division for PC.  between that, Titanfall, AC4, and Watch_Dogs all on PC as well, it leaves me with relatively few console only games that have a pull on my wallet.  The PS4 still has an edge as I'd rather play inFamous 2S than Halo

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2013, 01:05:20 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 26, 2013, 02:41:06 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 24, 2013, 02:52:01 PM

Making a purchasing decision for an expensive console like this based on one or two launch titles would be incredibly short-sighted. That is, unless you feel that those few games justify spending $400 or $500 on alone.

Putting this much thought and discussion into a trivial purchase decision like this one is incredibly disappointing.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that a $500 purchase is trivial?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:58 AM »

No one makes a $500 purchase trivially.

Yes, people buy consoles based on expectations, but that's often a cheap fall back argument. People buy all sorts of big things on expectations.

PS4 buyers are expecting the next games in their popular series, as well as these new games Sony is talking about. Sony has disappointed in some areas, but they definitely did well on that respect for the PS3.

The same for MS, the studio making the new Halo is doing better than Bungie ever did, Forza looks great, and the popular games from the 360 era look to be getting some updates.

Buying off these expectations is reasonable. There is a risk to it, be as our primary hobby, we've calculated these risks and found them acceptable.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2013, 03:58:37 AM »

I've about decided to keep both pre-orders. Spending nearly $1000 sounds crazy on the surface, but in reality I dropped almost twice that on my gaming PC and didn't bat an eye. Yet these two consoles will last far longer, from a gaming perspective, than that PC will. It's kind of crazy to think about, but my daughter will grow from a toddler to a teenager during these consoles' lifecycle.

My plan, should I go through with that, is to keep the PS4 in my office where I do most of my gaming (and where room is tight), and leave the Xbox in the living room where the Kinect will be more useful (as will any TV features).

Then, like, msd, I can finally put all this silly console stress behind me. Just play whatever I want to like a grown-ass man.  icon_lol

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2013, 05:02:04 AM »

I think this chart is helpful for those pre-ordering...   retard

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 27, 2013, 05:02:04 AM

I think this chart is helpful for those pre-ordering...   retard

Except it says I will get nothing, when in fact I will get a brand new console!  Two of them, in fact!  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »

I've preordered both.  If I decide to keep one (which is unlikely ATM), it will probably be the PS4.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 27, 2013, 02:19:58 AM

I disagree wholeheartedly. I know one person who makes $500 purchases on a whim so often you could call it a hobby. Yesterday it was closer to $700 with the XBOne, Gold card and Forza Limited.

$30k I'll give some thought to beforehand. $500 isn't going to impact the bottom line.

I'm still happy to argue all day about why the PS3 controllers sucks and I am suspicious of claims that xbox 360 controller fans prefer the PS4 controller, but in the end I will end up buying both assuming the PS4 comes up with something I have to own. I bought the PS3 for the Uncharted games and I loved the first 2, but I am over it. They need something new to grab me. I am sure it will come.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »

Okay then, if you really want to get into that level of detail, no one that is sane/smart, has a reasonable budget, and isn't well off or rich will make a $500 purchase trivially.

Not sure why you're bringing up the PS3 controller, but it was fine to me, a bit outdated, but nowhere near the levels of total useless and hatred that I'd see people spew.

Only some 360 controller fans are saying that they'd prefer the PS4 controller, however, almost everyone is saying that the PS4 controller is in every way in parity with the 360/XB1 controller, which allows for some to say that it actually feels better.

I only the PS4 preordered of course, however depending on whether the scalping prices get ridiculous, I may just put mine up for sale and wait for next year for Infamous.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 27, 2013, 01:23:54 PM

Quote from: Turtle on August 27, 2013, 02:19:58 AM

I disagree wholeheartedly. I know one person who makes $500 purchases on a whim so often you could call it a hobby. Yesterday it was closer to $700 with the XBOne, Gold card and Forza Limited.

$30k I'll give some thought to beforehand. $500 isn't going to impact the bottom line.

I'm still happy to argue all day about why the PS3 controllers sucks and I am suspicious of claims that xbox 360 controller fans prefer the PS4 controller, but in the end I will end up buying both assuming the PS4 comes up with something I have to own. I bought the PS3 for the Uncharted games and I loved the first 2, but I am over it. They need something new to grab me. I am sure it will come.

Uh yeah, I think I'm with the majority here in that $500 is a pretty big expense.  I've got a 17 year old heading off to college next year, and two 15 year olds in 8th grade.  Needless to say dollars that could be spent on one or both consoles are going elsewhere.  I'll probably wait until next year after the inevitable price drop.  I'm leaning more towards PS4 first, XBOne possibly some time later when I actually give a damn.  Right now I don't see anything for either system that says "Must have now!".

And, lets be honest here, most people that spend that kind of money on a whim are putting it on the good old credit card.  Nothin like racking up another 500-700 on top of the thousands already owed.  It is the American way, right?  Not my way, I will be totally debt free in less than 2 years.  Man I cannot wait, and I'm not about to start racking up more debt to pay off for something of such low importance.  (Hell, I barely play the two I have now, difficult to justify going out on day one ans spending another 1000 just to have them sit there and gather dust.). If nothing else, I am looking forward to the new systems for price drops on the old stuff!  Woo hoo!  Cheap games and accessories for everyone!

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 27, 2013, 02:31:41 PM

Okay then, if you really want to get into that level of detail, no one that is sane/smart, has a reasonable budget, and isn't well off or rich will make a $500 purchase trivially.

Just arguing the absolute statement you made. It depends how you ask whether I am rich or not. I say not, but some disagree on the definition, but $500 isn't impacting my budget.

Quote from: Turtle on August 27, 2013, 02:31:41 PM

Not sure why you're bringing up the PS3 controller, but it was fine to me, a bit outdated, but nowhere near the levels of total useless and hatred that I'd see people spew.

Only some 360 controller fans are saying that they'd prefer the PS4 controller, however, almost everyone is saying that the PS4 controller is in every way in parity with the 360/XB1 controller, which allows for some to say that it actually feels better

I thought that was the common complaint about the PS3. I still complain about it because it still sucks in comparison.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »

It's a funny thing when it comes to money. If I find a nice watch that I really like, $500 is practically a drop in then bucket. But when it comes to $500 I really have to question whether I want to lay out that kind of cash. Irrational, I know.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:05:09 PM

It's a funny thing when it comes to money. If I find a nice watch that I really like, $500 is practically a drop in then bucket. But when it comes to $500 I really have to question whether I want to lay out that kind of cash. Irrational, I know.

Not really its what you find value in..  I have a very hard time paying money for clothes, but my best friend won't bat an eye at dropping 500.00 -1800.00 on a new suit.  Me I balk at paying 200.00 for a suit.  Recently, I dropped 109.00 on Bentley Intense, I have a thing for cologne (over 15 bottles), but some people I know are fine with Brut (ewww)  Its what we find value in

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 25, 2013, 11:21:40 PM

This was true when mortgage rates were higher (8%). Now it will only save you about 4 years if you are getting the best available rate (~4%). My mortgage is at 2.625% and there is so little interest that paying ahead has very little (anti)compounding benefit. On my mortgage an extra payment a year would pay off the loan 15 months early.

This is why it is ok for me to buy a XBOne! See, totally brought that back on topic.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

Woo!  Back to mortgage talk!

My offer on the house just got accepted.   headbang  Now the fate of whether or not I own a launch PS4 is entirely dependent on finalizing the mortgage details to see exactly how much my monthly payments will end up being.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

Very little of the things I purchase would actually impact my budget, but I still treat $500 as $500.  Or $100 as $100.

It's very strange but as I've started to have more money in investments/savings over the years I've found that my default position is that money's best place is in one of my accounts and whatever I buy has to bring me more joy and/or utility than the money spent in order for that money to leave said account.

So I had zero problems dropping $400 on a PS4, but the incremental $500 for an XBone doesn't meet the joy/utility bar.

Quote from: Canuck on August 27, 2013, 03:05:09 PM

I spend what many would consider to be an irrational amount of money on watches and clothes, but those things are easy for me to justify to myself.  Video games, less so.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2013, 05:16:40 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 27, 2013, 04:22:21 PM

My offer on the house just got accepted.   headbang  Now the fate of whether or not I own a launch PS4 is entirely dependent on finalizing the mortgage details to see exactly how much my monthly payments will end up being.

maybe you can find a bank offering a free PS4 with a new mortgage.....

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »

I have both preordered but I'm still not sure what I"m going to do.

I'm leaning towards keeping the XBone. Primarily because of Forza, and because Hark et al will be going XBone, and I like to play MP with them.  I am also looking forward to DR3.  The $100 price difference doesn't factor.  $100 amortized over the life of the console is negligible.

I'm less sure what to do about the PS4.  Strictly speaking, I don't need it.  I only bought a PS3 a couple of months ago, specifically to play The Last of Us.  But I find that I'm enjoying it.  There are several good exclusives, but the thing I like the best is how it works well with the Vita.  There are games I can play on both my PS3 and Vita, with save games transferring between the two easily.  With more common remote-play on the PS4, that's a pretty strong selling point.  Much more so than the Kinect 2, which I think will be not much more than a gimmick.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:47 AM »

I've flip-flopped on this decision multiple times in the past few days, but I've about settled on a course of action.

I did some soul searching about this decision going back and forth over pros and cons, trying to figure out how I could afford both consoles, etc. Then this weekend my daughter (4) and I were at an arcade and I was watching her face light up as she played some of the games. I realized that the decisions I make at this point in my life usually revolve around what's best for my kids -whether it's major or minor, important or frivolous, they are always a factor.

In that respect, it made my choice very simple. This is a console that will see my daughter go from a toddler to a teenager, and my son to a pre-teen. They will grow up with this thing. If I'm treating this as a long-term investment, I need to look at this as the console that will define their youth. The Xbox feels more like the more family-oriented console, particularly with Kinect, so that's the route I think I'm going to go. There are other factors that helped - all my friends/co-workers are going Xbox, so my multiplayer would be much less lonely. In addition, I have to say that after looking at launch titles I find the Xbox's lineup much more appealing.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:10 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 02, 2013, 03:48:47 AM

I've flip-flopped on this decision multiple times in the past few days, but I've about settled on a course of action.

I did some soul searching about this decision going back and forth over pros and cons, trying to figure out how I could afford both consoles, etc. Then this weekend my daughter (4) and I were at an arcade and I was watching her face light up as she played some of the games. I realized that the decisions I make at this point in my life usually revolve around what's best for my kids -whether it's major or minor, important or frivolous, they are always a factor.

In that respect, it made my choice very simple. This is a console that will see my daughter go from a toddler to a teenager, and my son to a pre-teen. They will grow up with this thing. If I'm treating this as a long-term investment, I need to look at this as the console that will define their youth. The Xbox feels more like the more family-oriented console, particularly with Kinect, so that's the route I think I'm going to go. There are other factors that helped - all my friends/co-workers are going Xbox, so my multiplayer would be much less lonely. In addition, I have to say that after looking at launch titles I find the Xbox's lineup much more appealing.

that was heartwarming.  also, your daughter is Microsoft plant.  and by plant I don't mean a shrubbery.  of course, if you do have a shrubbery that you refer to as your daughter for some reason or another I am in no way judging you.

Freak.

( slywink just in case smile)

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »

That is nice.  I'm not sure I agree though.  For this generation I found the Xbox least family friendly.  Most of my titles are M rated.  I do have few Kinect titles the kids play, but they usually want to play the Playstation or the Wii.

For family games this gen in my house:

1. Wii
2. Playstation 3
3. Xbox 360

I don't expect much to change next generation.  I could be wrong.  There's a good chance I'll pick an Xbone before the WiiU.  I'm starting with the PS4.  I'm sure I'll end up with all three.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 01, 2013, 02:28:47 PM

There are games I can play on both my PS3 and Vita, with save games transferring between the two easily.  With more common remote-play on the PS4, that's a pretty strong selling point.

Yeah, I don't know how likely it is that I'll often use the Remote Play feature, but Sony's plans to integrate my Vita into the PS4 experience is another incentive to stick with their brand.  Cross-Buy is the biggest one: buy a copy of Sly Cooper for the console, get a free downloadable version to play on the handheld with full save game compatibility.  Give me that kind of functionality on a game like Borderlands 2, Disgaea, or Persona 5 and I'll never get any work done again.

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 01, 2013, 02:28:47 PM

Much more so than the Kinect 2, which I think will be not much more than a gimmick.

Also this.  I have never used Kinect -- I just don't know anyone who owns one -- but I've never seen any indication that it's more than minimally functional.  That Xbox One Kinect demo gellar posted didn't even meet that standard.

The Wiimote and PlayStation Move work well because they augment traditional controls with motion sensing and pointing technology.  Push the analogue stick to walk around; hold down the aim button and point at the screen to line up your shot.  I *adored* that in Twilight Princess and Killzone 3.

Microsoft seems intent on supplanting traditional controls altogether, replacing simple button presses with broad arm sweeps and full-body movements.  Rather than pressing 'X' to jump into the mass grave, you actually hop in place and pray the camera will recognize your intent apart from "Squat down to duck!" and "Wave your right arm to bring up iron sights!"  Inserting conspicuous amounts of input lag as the computer struggles to make sense of your interpretive dance is the opposite of immersion.

I think Kinect *could* work if more developers embraced the Steel Battalion model of combining controller inputs with motion sensing...and were substantially less incompetent at making them work.  Even then, they'll only just be reaching parity with things their competitors are already succeeding at, and with privacy concerns that I found unacceptable for years before they became fashionable.

The fact that Microsoft will no longer require an active Kinect to use their console was big news for me.  It is not, however, a selling point -- more like the removal of an anti-selling point.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 02, 2013, 01:08:20 PM

Microsoft seems intent on supplanting traditional controls altogether, replacing simple button presses with broad arm sweeps and full-body movements.  Rather than pressing 'X' to jump into the mass grave, you actually hop in place and pray the camera will recognize your intent apart from "Squat down to duck!" and "Wave your right arm to bring up iron sights!"  Inserting conspicuous amounts of input lag as the computer struggles to make sense of your interpretive dance is the opposite of immersion.

I went to the Xbox demo at E3 - and to speak to your point - they *aren't* trying to replace gaming from a controller standpoint. They're looking to enhance it, which is why they're talking about head positioning, holding up your controller to act as a shield, etc. They're encouraging developers to take advantage of the extra controls, and not asking them to replace all controls. Steel Battalion was far and away one of the worst games I've played - and it was one I was hoping had simple-yet-effective enhancements.

My Kinect 1.0 is currently still at a buddies place who's using it for the enhanced Skyrim functions (and he's enjoying it). My Skyrim is PC based - and though my son loves playing Kinect Party and Fruit Ninja with his friends, it's not terribly useful in my house. I see it getting traded in /sold shortly - I'm not a rhythm-gamer by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 02, 2013, 01:08:20 PM

I think Kinect *could* work if more developers embraced the Steel Battalion model of combining controller inputs with motion sensing...and were substantially less incompetent at making them work.  Even then, they'll only just be reaching parity with things their competitors are already succeeding at, and with privacy concerns that I found unacceptable for years before they became fashionable.

This is where MS is doing the right thing - by insisting on 1:1 Kinect:Console means that the user base isn't fractured. If a dev decides to add some cool voice-comm, or extra-turning (due to user leaning) or changing vision modes by tapping their temple, then let them! It's not forced at a console level, and its more likely to happen due to the fact that all systems have that function available, even if they've turned it off.

On the flipside, it also means that games like Fantasia are going to be able to target the entire system ownership, where the Kinect is essential to play.

One of the interesting things I've heard is that the Kinect 2.0 sees the human spine as a third axis (like a joystick). World of Planes *could* use leaning to control yaw (as a controller option). The fidelity of the camera (if not the response - I've yet to see anything conclusive) is that the macro-motions are read better and can be relied upon.

In contrast to comments above, there is a lot of gaming benefit to having something that works better than a WiiMote - and waggling a nunchuck (for me) always felt awkward. IMO, the announced features of Kinect 2.0 for the interface are very appealing. Gamer recognition for one - you can pass around a controller, and the person holding it can have their profile autoloaded.  

There is an IR port on the XBOne's controller, so the Kinect can identify it, and who is holding it - much like the PS Move with it's glowy bits. I'd like to be able to "swap in and out" when I'm playing a 4 player local game with more than 4 people. That's a benefit in my books.

I also like the idea of being able to say "Xbox, Mute" or "Xbox Pause" rather than reaching for a button. Will it do those things specifically? It seems like at least the mute option will, and given that start/select have been replaced, I can't see the overlay not being accessible via Kinect.

PC game availability doesn't sway me - the upgrades required to build a system for me to play at the same level as the new consoles will cost me as much. I just don't need a sit-down PC that powerful any more.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:09:53 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45:03 AM »

Jebus.  Made the horrible mistake of doing both the home inspection and the consultation about the mortgage details of the same day.  As much as I'd love to be part of the launch excitement of either console, thoughts of closing costs, home repairs/upgrades, appliances, and surviving Christmas (winter is coming...), I'm thinking I can still milk this generation of consoles a wee bit longer.  Maybe this next year is a good time to look at all the high profile titles I missed during their initial run.

Amazon PS4 preorder... cancelled.   crybaby
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:47 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 04, 2013, 02:45:03 AM

Jebus.  Made the horrible mistake of doing both the home inspection and the consultation about the mortgage details of the same day.  As much as I'd love to be part of the launch excitement of either console, thoughts of closing costs, home repairs/upgrades, appliances, and surviving Christmas (winter is coming...), I'm thinking I can still milk this generation of consoles a wee bit longer.  Maybe this next year is a good time to look at all the high profile titles I missed during their initial run.

There is an obvious answer here and I am not sure why you haven't thought of it... make more money!

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »

I'm probably just going to dump both pre-orders.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 04, 2013, 02:52:47 AM

There is an obvious answer here and I am not sure why you haven't thought of it... make more money!

Crazy talk.  I'm not about to be a guinea pig for your outlandish hypotheticals.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

We have the inspection this friday and closing on the 19th if all goes well.  (and I'm still getting a XB1 Tongue )  Buck up Pug!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 04, 2013, 04:06:23 PM

We have the inspection this friday and closing on the 19th if all goes well.  (and I'm still getting a XB1 Tongue )  Buck up Pug!

Congrats!  You and Kato must be so excited!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 04, 2013, 04:23:10 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on September 04, 2013, 04:06:23 PM

Congrats!  You and Kato must be so excited!

they make such a cute couple; you should see their pics on Facebook.  A-DOR-ABLE!!!!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: