http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:25:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you feeling about your pre-orders now?  (Read 10099 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 22, 2013, 11:38:05 PM

Quote from: JuniorDan on August 22, 2013, 11:05:14 PM

Never mind.. This is some bull... I swear every time I read something else I'm less intrigued to get the Xbox1 on launch day or even year. I invested heavily in my 360 urggghhhhhh  Head meets wall.
Xbox One was designed from the ground up with entirely new technology to deliver a new generation of experiences for both games and entertainment. For example, the Wireless Controller will connect to the console using high speed data transfer to enable higher fidelity headset audio and future controller add-on experiences that are not possible with Xbox 360 wireless technology.

Additionally, the all-new Kinect sensor's ability to locate the wireless controller is dependent on new technology. In order for Xbox One to deliver robust, meaningful gaming scenarios for all users across all experiences, only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the new console.

As annoying as it feels, I can't be too mad that something that has been around that long is obsolete.  That's how computers work.
Err I'm pretty sure all previous joysticks and wheels from pre-2005 still work on new PCs.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »

PS3 wheels will work with Driveclub as well, just sayin'. Now, I don't have a PS3 wheel, but it would sure be nice if I did! biggrin

(Could probably get one cheap now as well)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »

as someone who spends 1-2K every two years upgrading or building a new PC I can't get mad either.  I actually prefer having new accessories instead of having the dirty, old previous gen ones mingling with the next gen.  I was annoyed I have to use the old Wii-Mote with the Wii U, Nintendo should have come out with a Wii U-mote that has the goddamn U on it!  *Fist Shaking*

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »

Well I have a fresh batch of things on Ebay.   If they sell it should bring me over $800 and close to being able to purchase both systems.

I will then need to figure out how to save for games.  Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »

I've been wavering a bit lately due to peer pressure from friends who are all buying Xbones. And I do have to say that the Xbox launch titles have more appeal to me. It's pretty frustrating because I want both systems but realistically don't have the time (or money) for both. On the other hand part of me says screw it - these will both be around ten years, so why not make the investment now and have the best of both worlds for the next decade?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 24, 2013, 02:33:24 PM

I've been wavering a bit lately due to peer pressure from friends who are all buying Xbones. And I do have to say that the Xbox launch titles have more appeal to me. It's pretty frustrating because I want both systems but realistically don't have the time (or money) for both. On the other hand part of me says screw it - these will both be around ten years, so why not make the investment now and have the best of both worlds for the next decade?

From the noise coming out of IGN (they got early preview access), Titanfall is going to be a system seller.    They are already calling it multiplayer's next big thing.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »

Making a purchasing decision for an expensive console like this based on one or two launch titles would be incredibly short-sighted. That is, unless you feel that those few games justify spending $400 or $500 on alone.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 24, 2013, 02:52:01 PM

Making a purchasing decision for an expensive console like this based on one or two launch titles would be incredibly short-sighted. That is, unless you feel that those few games justify spending $400 or $500 on alone.

I see what you are saying, but I have the distinct feeling that publishers were caught completely off guard by Microsoft's botching of the rollout.    It looks like this generation had a good number of publishers lining up for exclusives on the Xbone without anticipating the opening shots of the war being this lopsided.

I've looked through the list of PS4 titles and not a single exclusive appeals to me.   Every other must have is a cross platform, and Microsoft owns the exclusive edge at launch and the few months following.

Edit:   And if you aren't judging a system on it's games, what are you going to judge it on?   Let's set the games aside for a moment just for the sake of argument.   If you include zero games in your consideration of which machine is best -- then Xbone is the only one that claims to offer more than just gaming in terms of full entertainment system integration.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:20:16 PM by msduncan » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

People realize that Titanfall isn't a launch title, right?  I've got a feeling that the number of exclusives for Xbox is going to decrease when it gets destroyed by the PS4 and it is going to get destroyed by the PS4. The best case scenarios for launch is that it's being outsold by 2-1 margin and it's going to be even worse than that in Europe and far worse than that in Japan. If you're planning on getting both consoles then it might make sense to preorder the xbox. My opinion is that if you desperately want to play Dead Rising 3 then you should pre-order the xbox. If you only want it for Titanfall then you should wait for it to actually come out as there will no doubt be a Kinectless version for $399 by then.

This is one one launch exclusive that has me interested for the PS4.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/gaijin-explains-why-war-thunder-is-skipping-xbox-one/
I figure that by the time I get my PS4, I should have about 4-5 games to play on it without having to pay a single cent.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 25, 2013, 12:06:54 AM

People realize that Titanfall isn't a launch title, right?  I've got a feeling that the number of exclusives for Xbox is going to decrease when it gets destroyed by the PS4 and it is going to get destroyed by the PS4. The best case scenarios for launch is that it's being outsold by 2-1 margin and it's going to be even worse than that in Europe and far worse than that in Japan. If you're planning on getting both consoles then it might make sense to preorder the xbox. My opinion is that if you desperately want to play Dead Rising 3 then you should pre-order the xbox. If you only want it for Titanfall then you should wait for it to actually come out as there will no doubt be a Kinectless version for $399 by then.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/23/gaijin-explains-why-war-thunder-is-skipping-xbox-one/
I figure that by the time I get my PS4, I should have about 4-5 games to play on it without having to pay a single cent.

Q1 2014.

So a lot of people will have to wait until the first of 2014 to wish they had an Xbone to play this amazing game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 01:23:48 AM »

ah, War Thunder slywink

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 02:27:15 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 01:20:32 AM

Quote from: Canuck on August 25, 2013, 12:06:54 AM

Q1 2014.

So a lot of people will have to wait until the first of 2014 to wish they had an Xbone to play this amazing game.

a couple sites have Dec as a release date for this, I'm hoping it's not an error slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 02:42:43 AM »

The reality is that both consoles are going to do well in sales out of the gate, and neither is going to stomp the other.  I'm sure regardless of which one you chose you'll be able to have fun with it and find great games within the first year.

As for War Thunder, I'm not sure how a port of a PC free-to-play game that you can play right now counts as a PS4 exclusive, but I guess if you feel the need use that to feed your pride in backing that console, go right ahead.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 05:52:12 AM »

May I remind everyone that Titanfall is only a timed exclusive, and that it'll also launch on PC alongside the Xbox One version? It's set to launch in 2014.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 25, 2013, 05:52:12 AM

May I remind everyone that Titanfall is only a timed exclusive, and that it'll also launch on PC alongside the Xbox One version? It's set to launch in 2014.

Can you remind us that we are idiots for buying a Xbox 1 as well?  Haven't heard that in the last 8 hours.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »

don't forget the 360.  Looks like I'll be buying all 3 versions, and 3 is my limit.  not 4, and 5 is right out!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on August 25, 2013, 08:08:33 AM

Can you remind us that we are idiots for buying a Xbox 1 as well?  Haven't heard that in the last 8 hours.

Canuck just logged in, so wait a few minutes.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »

Have you heard that from me at all? Link to my post, please.

Otherwise, maybe an apology. I'll accept either.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »

You're like pre-stalking me. That's just unnerving. I'm not going to call anyone an idiot for pre-ordering an Xbox. At least not until 6 months post release. smile
I'm not really concerned. I don't play multiplayer with anyone so it doesn't matter to me which console people get. I'm looking forward to seeing Microsoft get their comeuppance however. smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 25, 2013, 02:42:43 AM

The reality is that both consoles are going to do well in sales out of the gate, and neither is going to stomp the other.  I'm sure regardless of which one you chose you'll be able to have fun with it and find great games within the first year.

As for War Thunder, I'm not sure how a port of a PC free-to-play game that you can play right now counts as a PS4 exclusive, but I guess if you feel the need use that to feed your pride in backing that console, go right ahead.  Tongue
I would consider a 2:1 margin a stomping and it may be even worse than that. Of course, I could be completely wrong and then everyone can quote this post and I'll commit virtual forum seppuku in order to regain my honor.
And you're right, War Thunder is absolutely not an exclusive, in much the same way that Titanfall is not an exclusive. I think it's much more likely we'll see Titanfall on the PS4 before War Thunder on the Xbox1. Again feel free to quote my ignorance when I'm proven wrong.
I do hope that Sony will pave the way when it comes to cross platform play with the PC. That could be a major advantage when it comes to being able to play together with friends and increasing player counts. It probably won't happen but we can always hope.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 25, 2013, 08:23:36 AM

I would consider a 2:1 margin a stomping and it may be even worse than that. Of course, I could be completely wrong and then everyone can quote this post and I'll commit virtual forum seppuku in order to regain my honor.
And you're right, War Thunder is absolutely not an exclusive, in much the same way that Titanfall is not an exclusive. I think it's much more likely we'll see Titanfall on the PS4 before War Thunder on the Xbox1. Again feel free to quote my ignorance when I'm proven wrong.
I do hope that Sony will pave the way when it comes to cross platform play with the PC. That could be a major advantage when it comes to being able to play together with friends and increasing player counts. It probably won't happen but we can always hope.

2:1 in The States is not going to happen.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »

Quote from: ATB on August 25, 2013, 09:01:13 AM

Quote from: Canuck on August 25, 2013, 08:23:36 AM

2:1 in The States is not going to happen.

You're probably right. It might start out that way due to production limits, but it'll probably normalize.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »

Actually my thinking was the opposite. Right now it's not about demand, it's about supply. Assuming that production is equal (a big assumption I admit) then they should sell about the same amount as there are far more early adopters for both than there is supply. I have to think that Sony is being held back more by demand than Microsoft is. But then again I could be completely wrong. My predictions are as bad as Michael Pachter's (well ok, not quite that bad.)
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

If the preorder situation was even close to equal MS wouldn't have been scrambling around like a chicken with its head cut off and reversing all its policies and decisions.   The question now is how well has their damage control worked?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »

Microsoft's playing the long-term game. I think they had to scramble to make sure they didn't get buried before the starting gun went off, but I think they're also willing to concede short-term numbers in exchange for their "vision" of this box being more than just another gaming console.

If I was looking at a 10 year life-cycle and I was Microsoft, I think I'd still be feeling pretty good. They've got two things Sony simply doesn't have - Kinect and built-in TV integration (though Sony is working on their own version of this). They also have a massive back-end infrastructure in place that Sony doesn't have. In terms of *potential,* these things are big. These are things customers/developers might not care about in 2013, but may really care about in 2018. I just don't see all these potential features falling completely flat - particularly when MS has a huge stake in them and is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Right now I want to spend my money on facts, not potential, which is why I'm willing to wait and see how well MS implements their vision. They have plenty of time to sell me on it. In the meantime, I'll be playing the devil I do know. I don't think anyone's stupid for going Xbox though - I know a LOT of folks going Xbox and all of them have perfectly good reasons for doing so. And shocker - most of it all comes down to game preference.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:22:30 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 25, 2013, 02:19:31 PM

Microsoft's playing the long-term game. I think they had to scramble to make sure they didn't get buried before the starting gun went off, but I think they're also willing to concede short-term numbers in exchange for their "vision" of this box being more than just another gaming console.

If I was looking at a 10 year life-cycle and I was Microsoft, I think I'd still be feeling pretty good. They've got two things Sony simply doesn't have - Kinect and built-in TV integration (though Sony is working on their own version of this). They also have a massive back-end infrastructure in place that Sony doesn't have. In terms of *potential,* these things are big. These are things customers/developers might not care about in 2013, but may really care about in 2018. I just don't see all these potential features falling completely flat - particularly when MS has a huge stake in them and is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Right now I want to spend my money on facts, not potential, which is why I'm willing to wait and see how well MS implements their vision. They have plenty of time to sell me on it. In the meantime, I'll be playing the devil I do know. I don't think anyone's stupid for going Xbox though - I know a LOT of folks going Xbox and all of them have perfectly good reasons for doing so. And shocker - most of it all comes down to game preference.
Well said.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »

Based on the games msduncan likes and the people he likes to play them with -- USMC Kato and Harkonis -- I think the Xbox One makes a lot of sense for him.  I doubt anyone thinks he's an idiot for wanting to play Titanfall at launch with his friends, any more than anyone thinks I'm an idiot for feeling more interested in several of Sony's single-player exclusives.

Microsoft had a lot of serious missteps in announcing their new console, but I think most people acknowledge that they've gone out of their way to correct their course and give people what they're said they want.  For me, the value proposition still balances favor of Sony...but by a much slimmer margin than it used to be.  It's easy to imagine that someone with slightly different preferences might come to a different conclusion.

-Autistic Angel
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

All of you suckers are going to be duped by the company with the largest superiority complex on the planet:  Sony.    Just wait until they get you on the hook and then decide whatever they do is like edicts from God.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »

All of you suckers are going to be duped by the company with the largest superiority complex on the planet:  Microsoft.    Just wait until they get you on the hook and then decide whatever they do is like edicts from God.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »

Since I'm getting both I have a duty to fanboi roast both sides.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 25, 2013, 02:46:40 PM

Microsoft had a lot of serious missteps in announcing their new console, but I think most people acknowledge that they've gone out of their way to correct their course and give people what they're said they want.  For me, the value proposition still balances favor of Sony...but by a much slimmer margin than it used to be.  It's easy to imagine that someone with slightly different preferences might come to a different conclusion.
-Autistic Angel

Yup. The marketplace spoke and they changed course. I never would have believed they would, but kudos to them. I still find it shocking they were so out of touch, but I really shouldn't.

Quote from: forgeforsaken on August 25, 2013, 01:00:00 PM

If the preorder situation was even close to equal MS wouldn't have been scrambling around like a chicken with its head cut off and reversing all its policies and decisions.   The question now is how well has their damage control worked?

Honestly, if things stay on the current course, and assuming there aren't major hardware failures or supply problems, etc. I doubt most people will even remember all of this in 2-3 years.

We've made the switch from Live to PS+, and I love that it will reap benefits for PS3, PS4 (when it comes out), and (as of yesterday) my new Vita.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 25, 2013, 02:19:31 PM

If I was looking at a 10 year life-cycle and I was Microsoft, I think I'd still be feeling pretty good. They've got two things Sony simply doesn't have - Kinect and built-in TV integration (though Sony is working on their own version of this).
But they don't really, they have a TV guide service with an IR blaster.  There is no cable tuner, or DVR functionality.  If anything Sony making deals for broadcast content on the PS4 is a step ahead (to be fair MS had done this in the UK with Sky in the past).  We've seen the XB1 model before with Google TV etc, it's just not an appealing model in this day and age.  Outside of sports and news live TV is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, it's all about time shifting and on demand content.  The TV stuff they are showing may have been amazing ten years ago, now it just looks like they are out of step.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 02:53:15 PM

Ugh, such fanboism. I get it. You like videogame consoles of various makes and models that allow you to play your hobby of choice. Fine.  That doesn't mean you have to hold a superiority complex over those of us who prefer thumb wrestling and macramé.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

you left out Nintendo slywink

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2013, 05:17:04 PM

you left out Nintendo slywink

Oh... well I have that one too.   Tongue
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »

I have a ps4 on pre-order.  Thinking about cancelling it though. I do want one eventually, but looking at the release list nothing is screaming "I need this now!" to me.  The finances might appreciate that extra 400 around xmas time too slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »

Quote from: faide on August 25, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

I have a ps4 on pre-order.  Thinking about cancelling it though. I do want one eventually, but looking at the release list nothing is screaming "I need this now!" to me.  The finances might appreciate that extra 400 around xmas time too slywink

Yeah, I'm starting to lean back this way as well.  Call of Battle Duty Fields 17 would be nifty, but I'm not balls to the walls craving much else in the launch window for either system.  Add in a bunch of new expenses I'm expecting between now and year-end, I may just cancel my PS4 and wait & see how the launches play out.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »

No no no none of that. We will all be playing Killzone on release day!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM

Add in a bunch of new expenses I'm expecting between now and year-end, I may just cancel my PS4 and wait & see how the launches play out.

is someone going to be a new daddy?

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2013, 10:44:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2013, 10:37:14 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 25, 2013, 10:30:00 PM

Add in a bunch of new expenses I'm expecting between now and year-end, I may just cancel my PS4 and wait & see how the launches play out.

is someone going to be a new daddy?

Crazy surgery bills for the wife and, in a much more appealing arena of expenditure, possibly buying my first house. Turns out houses are expensive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: