http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House of the Dead: Overkill [Wii & PS3 (according to a bird)]  (Read 1165 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »

Holy shit!  This game is a lot of damn fun.  The tone is just right.  They've gone with a grindhouse style, including grainy footage and-possibly a first for a HOTD game, but that's debatable- intentionally bad acting!

And things GIB real good.

Seriously, this is one of the most fun light gun games I've played, and I'm only doing it by myself.  I imagine it would be even more entertaining with a buddy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:27:59 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »

Sadly its not out for a few more days here; might just make it in time for Friday the 13th.  paranoid  It's been getting very good reviews and it sounds like a must have for anyone that's enjoyed games like Umbrella Chronicles, HotD 2&3 or No More Heroes.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 12, 2009, 03:49:30 PM

Sadly its not out for a few more days here; might just make it in time for Friday the 13th.  paranoid  It's been getting very good reviews and it sounds like a must have for anyone that's enjoyed games like Umbrella Chronicles, HotD 2&3 or No More Heroes.

Gameplay-wise it fits the first two, obviously, but style-wise it's more along the lines of the latter.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 12, 2009, 04:59:44 PM

Quote from: kronovan on February 12, 2009, 03:49:30 PM

Gameplay-wise it fits the first two, obviously, but style-wise it's more along the lines of the latter.

Yup, that's more or less what I was thinking. Would it have been a stretch to have thrown RE4 in there as well?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »

Picked this up last night but really didn't have much time to play. Grabbed the Nyko pistol as well, works more better than the Zapper for stuff like this. Love the grindhouse style, but had to warn a friend who was thinking about picking this up who has a wee one and a sensitive wife that he'll need to play it when they're out of earshot as there is quite a bit of naughty language in it... even in the menus.  icon_wink

Cool that one of the unlockables is "Dual Wield mode". May need to buy another pistol, it seems.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »

Oh, yeah, it is very inappropriate.  They use "motherfucking" as often as "the" or in place of it, sometimes.

EDIT TO ADD: There's actually a really nice joke about the motherfucking useage at the end of the game.  I plowed through this, and it is a ton of kick-ass fun.  I've started the Director's Cut, and while the story is the same, it looks like you head into different areas, maybe (or at least get there a slightly different way).  I could just be misremembering, though.  DC is harder, too, and while I was hoping I'd be able to use the fully upped gun from my playthrough of the original game, you have to start over.

I'm still trying to convince the wife to give it a go.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:23:17 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

got this from gamefly and played the first episode last night.  I'm assuming it's better with the Wii-Gun adapter so I'm going to try and track that down later today.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2010, 03:13:27 PM

got this from gamefly and played the first episode last night.  I'm assuming it's better with the Wii-Gun adapter so I'm going to try and track that down later today.

Definitely.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 12:48:23 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 17, 2010, 05:10:14 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2010, 03:13:27 PM

Definitely.

well picked up the Nyko one and played for a half an hour... my hand is freakin' sore right now.  definitely better with the light gun, now all I need to do is figure out a good spot to put the Wii sensor bar.  below the screen seems too low, but there's not enough room to set it on top of the screen and I'm not sure I want to sticky that mount onto my TV.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »

I bought this game last year but kept it shrink-wrapped for just the right opportunity. That happened yesterday when a friend and I ran into a game-stopping bug in Lara Croft: Guardian of Light and had to do something else. We didn't regret our choice for a second.

We plowed through the entire game in one sitting, laughing the entire motherf***ing time. slywink The game hits the tone just right, from the opening credits to the closing credits. It's very easy (at least in normal mode). In fact, we were surprised when we managed to down bosses in like 10 seconds. There's still the Director's Cut to play though, and it looks like you can toggle extra zomb... sorry, mutants for all levels even in normal mode.

The game looks surprisingly good for a Wii game too. This is an example of a game that wouldn't really have gained all that much from being on the PS3 or 360.

Listening to the funky soundtrack right now. Very happy with my purchase. smile
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »

I thought it was one of the funnest games I've played.  Loved the 1970s Blaxploitation dialog.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »

A really underated game IMO, and one of the real bright spots for Wii motion control.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

Yeah, I love this game.  I've actually been eyeing it in the stack, and this may propell me into giving it another go.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »

The slight control lag bugged me about the game, but it was still good.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on September 05, 2010, 07:07:19 PM

I thought it was one of the funnest games I've played.  Loved the 1970s Blaxploitation dialog.

Totally agreed. Well worth one's time to play though multiple times as well. The game is just so much fun and so campy that's just the perfect shooter.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to play it for very long - I have a Nyko gun, but my fingers cramp pretty quickly using any gun controller.  Does the Classic Controller work with it?  I'm a sucker for HoD games, including Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast), so I would love to be able to play this somehow. 

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was first started, thanks for reviving it (twice!)  I may add it to my collection for when I have company, even if I can only watch it.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:09 AM »

The Classic controller can't be used, but I'd suggest just using the regular wiimote and forgo the Nyko Perfect Shot. One of my friends finds it more comfortable to just play it that way. It's Perfect Shot all the way for me, but my wrist is definitely a wee bit fatigued by the end. slywink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:28:31 AM by kronovan » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »

Agreed.

But if you go the other route and let company play it, make sure it's age appropriate company!

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

SOLD!

A:  I might be able to play it, and might be is good enough for me. I'll try the Wiimote idea, for sure.
B:  The youngest of the regular visitors is now 13 or 14, and his mom won't let him play games like HoD... also, I'm in the age group that "age-appropriate" for most of my friends could mean that they may be too old to appreciate zombie-killing games, lmao.

Thanks! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 08, 2010, 04:18:28 PM

SOLD!

A:  I might be able to play it, and might be is good enough for me. I'll try the Wiimote idea, for sure.
B:  The youngest of the regular visitors is now 13 or 14, and his mom won't let him play games like HoD... also, I'm in the age group that "age-appropriate" for most of my friends could mean that they may be too old to appreciate zombie-killing games, lmao.

Thanks! 

icon_razz

Sorry to hear that your friends have gotten so old.  I loved it and thought to REALLY have fun with it, One should be able to remember Superfly and Blacula first runs.  That's just me though.  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 03:22:29 PM »

a little birdie just told me you might want to add PS3 after the Wii in the subject line  icon_wink

[edit] said birdie.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:46:44 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2011, 03:22:29 PM

a little birdie just told me you might want to add PS3 after the Wii in the subject line  icon_wink

[edit] said birdie.

Even though I played it to death on the Wii, I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up again.  So good.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »

love the title edit  icon_biggrinthumbsup

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: