http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 05:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee [psp]  (Read 3785 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2005, 09:28:39 AM »

Picked this up today, along with TML and gatorfavre.  Basically, let me put it to you this way:  I have a final tomorrow (this) morning, but here I am posting about this game after playing several hours of it today.  It is awesome

First of all, it looks fantastic.  From setting up your shot, to actually seeing your ball fly through the air, and then looking at the reply (which has a very wide assortment of different angles which play) - it's very impressive.

Gameplay is standard fare Hot Shots type of gameplay.  Modes that are included are your basic tournament kind of 9 or 18 holes of stroke play, a challenge mode whee you obtain items, unlock characters, and the like, mini-golf (basically, a putting game - pretty fun and helpful for your putting game), and multiplayer wifi.  Tested out multiplayer with tml and it ran smooth as silk.  Basically, you don't have to wait and look at your opponent's shot - you both go your own pace.  But there is a marker where your opponent's ball is and what shot he is on, which is pretty dang cool.

Very impressed by this title.  It's addictive as hell.  I would continue on and unlock new accessories and outfits and the like for my character, buuuut going to bed would probably be the smart thing to do   biggrin   But I would definately recommend Hot Shots!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:38:03 AM »

Agreed - I played it until my battery ran out...and then some more.  Great game.

Oh and no load time between holes.  There's about 10-15 before the round starts...but that's it.  It's fantastic.

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:35:05 AM »

*blah blah blah blah blah*

I can't hear you!

Don't tell me anymore about this game.  I was completely addicted to Hot Shots 3 when it came out.  I skipped HS4 because I wanted to stay married and employed.

Now you're telling me I can not only play this game but I can take it anywere?  Like at work?

*blah blah blah blah blah*
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 01:18:31 PM »

Wow, sounds good.

I still have some Gamestop credit and a road trip this weekend, so this should work out nicely.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »

I have to completely agree - Hot Shots is pure fun!  I'm enjoying a golf title...I need my head checked.   What am I doing in the sports forum?!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 01:26:39 PM »

IGN 8.8

"This is a personal favorite on the PSP thus far"

There's a bit of negative commentary about how difficult it is to unlock stuff -- at least with regard to meaningful unlockables (characters, holes) as opposed to stuff like new sunglasses.

"This goes for multiplayer as well, and since there's only one hole open when the game begins" -- though since there's no infrastructure mode and I don't know anyone with a PSP, I'm really in it for the single-player mode.

Gameplay
The controls make the fun accessible. Even when the courses got tough, the tools at my disposal made feel like I am in control of the situation.

That's all I needed to hear.  I'll be heading out to pick this up a couple of hours.

- Don

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 01:31:55 PM »

You guys are killing me!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 07:54:07 PM »

Devil, are you Ok?  Don't tell me you're not IN on this one.   :shock:

This is the third PSP game from my pre-order that I couldn't initially decide on.  Based on what I've been reading, I thnk I'm going to be glad I waited.  I just need to go pick it up now!

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »

I thought Tiger would be good enough for my golfing PSP fix.

Maybe time to trade it in for Hot Shots...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2005, 02:54:19 PM »

Yeah - I caved and picked it up  but haven't played yet.

You guys gotta go to CAG and download/print the BB PSP $5 off coupons!

Anyone want Tiger Woods?  smile

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 06:20:31 PM »

I ended up not getting it since the Gamestop tried to pass off one of those gutted boxes, and the disc itself had quite a bit of dust on it.  There is no way I can believe that the game was unplayed.

I'll wait for the next shipment to come in.

- Don

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 08:51:45 PM »

Still playing this one quite a bit...man, it's addictive.  Always want to unlock one more item...that sort of thing.  I really like how it keeps your stats.  Dep and me can compare when we play - although he usually whoops me on match play frown

I really dig how you can play tournament MP and both can go at the same time.  Makes the time fly by.

TheMissingLink on PSN
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 08:05:55 PM »

A fantastic game, outclasses Tiger Woods PSP in just about every way.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:33 PM »

Picked it up yesterday and have logged about 6-8 hours already.

So far, I'm impressed.  Controls work fairly well.  Graphics are good.  Music is kinda catchy (I'm humming it now).  Load times are in the realm of a couple of seconds for the initial load and almost instant between holes.

The putting mini-game was fun, and really helped me get my stroke.  I'm up to 4 cups on the green (~200 pts), though I'm having a hard time nailing the long putts consistently enough to get the 220 I need to open up the last set of cups.  For those without the game, the minigame involves sinking a put on each hole (9 holes).  Typically, each putt you sink is worth 10 pts.  After the first time through, a second, more difficult set of cups is added to each green (they are worth more points -- usually 20-30).  If you make a certain score, an additional set of cups appears.  So, for me, the 4th set of cups are worth somewhere between 40-70 points, but the putts are in the range of 40 feet and up on some tricky greens.  The closer cups are still there, but naturally, by this time, you want to sink the high-scoring ones.

The unlockables aren't bad, though I wish I could unlock the next course already.  I've played the first course at least a dozen times (really have no idea, but it seems like a lot), and pretty much know where to put the marker for every shot..it's just a matter of me making the putts, which, thanks to the mini-game, I can do fairly well now.  I figure I have to be pretty close to getting the next course..or so I hope.

I love the way the little guy runs after the ball after you hit it (before it stops rolling).

So far, aside from the length of time it takes to unlock the courses, my only other complaint would be the lack of infrastructure mode.  That would have been the icing on the cake.

- Don

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 02:28:30 AM »

I've been playing for quite awhile and am really enjoying the game.  I finally have 3 courses open which I am very proud of.  The only gripe I have is that you can't turn off your caddie voices and I am tired of hearing "Good Shot", which is said when you hit the ball well.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 12:04:55 AM »

You guys are making this sound good.
Does the game suggest a club to you for each shot?
How often do you use something else?
I'm trying to get a sense of how difficult it is.

I've been playing MGA all afternoon (hooray for days off!) and I'm REALLY interested in Smart Bomb, but I used to have some fun with golf games. I think I'll try to get a used one at Gamestop, though...I'd be in no mad rush for it. The unlocking courses bit concerns me, though.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 01:32:15 AM »

You should trade for my Tiger Woods!!   :wink:

jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 01:54:40 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

It does suggest a club for each shot. It's usually spot on, I only change it when the suggestion is at or past the hole and I've got the wind behind me, or when I decide to bounce the ball off a mountain. smile

It's not that difficult at first, but I hear that the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly with the newer courses/challenges. At least, that's what Gabe at Penny Arcade said...quote: "It's worth mentioning that this game gets really fucking hard pretty quick. I blew through the first set of challenges and unlocked the second course only to hit a wall. Once you have that new course opened up they really want you to master some of the more difficult types of shots. Pars just don't cut it anymore. Not to mention the fact that the course don't just get more difficult, they get down right diabolical. I'm talking about a topography inspired by the jagged cliffs of hell.
algernon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 02:58:04 AM »

One more big thumbs up for this game as well!!!

My only wish so far is that it supported online play.

This is only the second sports game I have played (MLB for PSP is first).

This game rocks!!!!  Fave PSP game so far.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 12:09:09 PM »

Cracked it open last night and it's really fun - I like that all relevant info is on the screen at all times. Some golf games have you dig for stuff, not here!

...when I decide to bounce the ball off a mountain

LOVE using this strategy! :lol:

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 06:34:12 PM »

The first course is easy enough.

I didn't lose a match until the 2nd course, and I certainly could have won that match had my putting been better (some of the greens are really tricky).  Pars seem easy enough to get.  I'm usually in the running for a birdie, and it's just the distance of my putt that determines if I sink the putt in 1 or 2 strokes (I like that the game tracks your success rate on putts by distance).  I usually end up with -4 or -5 for a 9 hole match, and to date, I've hit 2 eagles (both chip-ins).

The game selects a club for every shot, and you will generally do OK with its choice.  If you are going uphill though, inevitably, it will be a club or two short, so you'll need to make that adjustment.  Downhill, same deal.  And wind can be tricky.  Even just a 2 mph wind seems to make a huge difference in the path of the ball.

It's a very approachable game, more instantly accessible than Wipeout or MGA.  I like the 'turn based' style of golf games, as I can put it down and sleep the PSP at any time (as opposed to say, a racing game, where you'd really only pause and sleep in between races).

- Don

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 07:59:45 PM »

I just came across one of the hint screens that displays while loading a course indicating if you failed the challenge mode a couple of times, 'Easy' mode would be unlocked.

- Don

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2005, 04:02:56 AM »

I may have to pick this up. I was really looking forward to Smart Bomb, but the only reviews I've been able to find say it should pretty much be avoided at all cost. That, and I'm having trouble with my eyes while playing Lumines. The blood vessels in my right eye get enlarged so it feels like there's a hair in it, even though there isn't. I think it is a combo of staring intently/not blinking enough.

I'm not exactly dying to have something else to play (still having a blast with other stuff), so I'll keep an eye out on the store by work and hope I can snatch up a used copy.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »

Ok, so I did end up getting this because I wanted a more kid-friendly turn-based game.

Is there any way to have multiple profiles short of swapping out memory sticks?

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 07:31:07 PM »

Wonderful game. Simply wonderful.

Here's a tip: Before taking an approach shot (or a tee shot on a par 3), zip forward and take a good, low-level look at the slope of the green around the hole. If there is a lot of break, take note of what part of the green is directly downhill from the hole. That's the general area you want your ball to end up (if it doesn't go in the hole, of course smile )
Putting directly uphill is the best position to putt from (as in real life). You can putt harder which negates more side to side action. Putting directly downhill is usually not too bad, but you can't be as aggressive in your speed. The worst of all worlds in HSG is putting across the slope -- that's just murder!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 12:35:06 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"

It is, though I do have some complaints that mar an otherwise fantastic game.

1) It seems the game has no interface for dealing with multiple save files.  This strikes me as completely absurd.

2) There are a number of times where I can't see the little pyramidal icon that shows where you are aiming because it is behind an embankment. It would have been great if it had showed a triangle outline or something similar in cases like that.

3) Why in the heck can't we tell how hard the wind is blowing until after we've made the tee shot? This can be really, really frustrating.

4) I sure do wish the button to reset the camera had been something other than X.

5) This is minor, but it sure would be nice to get clubs/irons that actually help rather than hurt. Most of the stuff I've found so far reduces control or impact, which hinders my game rather than helps.

In the scheme of things, none of these is traumatic...I'd still rate HSG as good as Lumines/MGA (i.e 9ish) and it certainly has an addictive quality (just one more 9 hole tournament...)

When do we get more caddy choices?

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005, 03:01:49 PM »

1) It seems the game has no interface for dealing with multiple save files.  This strikes me as completely absurd.

Not an issue for me, but I see your point.

2) There are a number of times where I can't see the little pyramidal icon that shows where you are aiming because it is behind an embankment. It would have been great if it had showed a triangle outline or something similar in cases like that.

I've run in to this a couple of times.  Usually I fly the camera forward and use the nub to locate the aim point.  Agreed though, it'd be nice to get a shadow or something just for ease of use.

After playing the course a few times, it does become a non-issue though, as you pretty much know where you need to aim.

3) Why in the heck can't we tell how hard the wind is blowing until after we've made the tee shot? This can be really, really frustrating.

Yep, absolutely, incredibly stupid.  It makes no sense on any level.  If you are out golfing, you can feel the wind.  It seems like a very bizarre design decision.

4) I sure do wish the button to reset the camera had been something other than X.

Hasn't bothered me.

5) This is minor, but it sure would be nice to get clubs/irons that actually help rather than hurt. Most of the stuff I've found so far reduces control or impact, which hinders my game rather than helps.

The truth of the matter is that the unlockable items are pretty much superfluous.  I hate to be the bearer of this news, but it's true.  Think of your new clubs and balls in the same light as a new pair of shades.  You can work your 1st golfer as much as you like and get occasional skill upgrades and add some new equipment, but when you start unlocking new golfers, they absolutely blow away the skills of the preceding golfers.  I'm at the point now where I unlocked an old man whose skill bars are all half full, without adding items.  No matter what I add to the beginning chick, she's not getting more than 1/4 to 1/3 full on any skill bar.

When do we get more caddy choices?

Still haven't come across a new one.

- Don

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"

Main Menu -> Save/Load/Delete doesn't work? It appears to give you an interface to let you load different saved game files.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 01:37:02 AM »

Re:  When you get a new Caddy

I unlocked a new caddy today.  I believe I'm called 'mid-level', which is the 4th level (2 left above me).  The caddy's voice is very irritating though.  I went back to the old one.

I also unlocked the 3rd course and the 5th golfer.  Busy day.

And one more thing I found out.  When you level up a skill, it is YOU that gets levelled up, not the golfer you are using.  So if you switch to a new golfer, the improved skill carries over too.

- Don

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2005, 02:09:39 AM »

On your tee shot push down on the dpad and you will throw grass into the air and it will blow in the direction and force of the wind.  This acutally makes more sense than giving you just a number.

Can you tell me when you are outside the mph of the wind?????

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 10:21:55 AM »

Quote from: "shon"
On your tee shot push down on the dpad and you will throw grass into the air and it will blow in the direction and force of the wind.  This acutally makes more sense than giving you just a number.

Seriously?! I had no idea! Thanks for the tip.

Oh...Don...on the camera reset issue...no, it isn't a problem, until you forget the camera has moved and double tap the X on a critical putt, then instead of not touching the button again, frantically hit it once more. Not that I've done that. Nope. Not me. Uh uh. Noooo way.

Yeah, I've only unlocked one new golfer, but I think I'm doing better with Rio. haven't had a chance to play in several days.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 08:48:38 PM »

Hey guys, I can't find this in the manual, but stumbled across it by accident.

Try hitting Start during the setup for any shot. I'm finding this quite useful at times.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: