http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 02:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you like Twizzlers?  (Voting closed: May 25, 2005, 06:07:08 AM)
smile - 7 (58.3%)
frown - 5 (41.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeworld2 love?  (Read 1799 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:07:08 AM »

So after watching Episode 3 I was itching for something...so I started playing KotOr1 again which filled the void a little.  Then I remember the really exciting part of the movie - the space battle!

So I ran out and got critically-acclaimed Homeworld2 (the no spacing is intentional, they have it like that).  I put a little time into the original, but I've never been good at RTS games.  So they aren't that fun (excluding War3).

BUT I got Homeworld2 and I'm ready to dive into this monster head-on.  Any fanboys out there?  Anyone want to give me some tips or anything?  Any Homeworld2 love out there?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:17:25 AM »

Did'nt like either of them. Did love Nexus though. I really need to finish it. Bet I cant remember how to play and will have to start all over.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 06:30:35 AM »

They are both superb games. Something about the second game doesn't have the same emotional impact of the second. I think it has to do with the fact that the...incredible, tragic, sad, moving, compelling storyline that defined the first game is of course missing in this one-the Homeworld has been found, the initial journey is over.

However. The second game is better designed, plays better, has better "space" battles, still features an interesting story, superb soundtrack-and if the difficulty doesn't put you off is a very fun, if short game.

Thank you-now I want to play it again  :wink:
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 06:45:50 AM »

Warcraft 3 is the exception to the no-fun RTS rule?!?!? :evil: You sir have your priorities backwards.

But for HW2 Ill recommend the PDS mod which adds quite a few more turrets to the ships and buffs up thier points for longer, more strategic battles. It also adds a shedload of ships.

http://penguinmayhe.temp.powweb.com/pds/

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 11:27:01 AM »

The first one had the best story of any RTS in my book.

I never played #2.  I really should.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 02:30:17 PM »

Rages' comments match my own feelings spot on.
RaptorRed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:01:18 PM »

I agree qith Booner and Rage, but I also liked Home World Cataclysm.

It is a little easier and has some great missions and a story line occurng in the Homeworld Universe but different than the other two.

Same style of gameplay.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Something about the second game doesn't have the same emotional impact of the second. I think it has to do with the fact that the...incredible, tragic, sad, moving, compelling storyline that defined the first game is of course missing in this one-the Homeworld has been found, the initial journey is over.

Dang, that somewhat sucks...

Quote from: "Rage"
However. The second game is better designed, plays better, has better "space" battles, still features an interesting story, superb soundtrack-and if the difficulty doesn't put you off is a very fun, if short game.

Excellent!  I have a copy of the original...I installed it back in winter and was unimpressed with the visuals.  I wanted an enhanced look to the old Homeworld, I guess.  But to sacrifice the "incredible, tragic, sad, moving, compelling storyline" sucks!  

Good recommendation, Crowley.  I've bookmarked that page and if I feel like the game needs a little tweaking or anything, I'm on that mod like white on rice.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:10:34 PM »

Another Homeworld fan here.  Can't say enough about the games.  Like others, I find things I like about all 3  (I, Cataclysm, II) - wish I could mix and match.

And Karan S'jet is one of the coolest names of all time!

oh...

and the music is downright awesome!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »

Well son of a bitch, now I want to play the first before I play the second.

I own it...I could install it........should I play the first before the second!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 11:14:19 PM »

I remember liking the demo for the first HW, but I never played the full game.

Then I found a good deal on HW2 and bought it, but still haven't loaded it yet  retard

Been meaning to get started with it though, especially since there's a supposedly good Star Wars mod for it.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 11:25:44 PM »

The first is still my fav RTS game of all time.  Cataclysm I found too hard and the third just bored me for some reason.  I guess the novelty wore off.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 08:41:15 PM »

I've only played the original Homeworld and though the presentation/story is excellent, the difficulty was always too high.  I would just manage to squeak by one mission, only to be immediately ambushed at the start of the next mission.  Since units carry over, this forced you to completely kick ass on every mission and mine all the resources on every map.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 11:55:37 PM »

Add me to the list of those that has 'em and needs to play 'em.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 01:34:43 AM »

I've decided to begin playing the first.  Already encountered a bug in the second mission (grrrr) so I have to do it again.  Really weird bug, too.  My salvage cruisers wouldn't recover this thing I needed to get.  Aw well.  Looking forward to more playtime tonight.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 01:50:14 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I've decided to begin playing the first.  Already encountered a bug in the second mission (grrrr) so I have to do it again.  Really weird bug, too.  My salvage cruisers wouldn't recover this thing I needed to get.  Aw well.  Looking forward to more playtime tonight.

How are you handling the interface of Homeworld 1?  That was the thing that turned me off.  And did anyone do some mods to make the first game's ships detail look better?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 06:17:48 AM »

Mods to make the ships look better!?  Oooooh that would be nice...

So far the interface is okay...I'm handling it.  There are times that I really have to mess around with the camera, but I'm getting used to it.  I just wish HW1 looked as freakin' pretty as HW2.  But at least I have something to look forward to.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 10:05:35 PM »

Great now I want this game!!! Must find it somewhere...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: