http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy ****, does Max Payne ROCK or what?!  (Read 2293 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:23:18 AM »

I don't even remember when I got this gem, sometime last year in a GG trade maybe, I'm not even sure. Whenever it was, it was a while ago. I put it aside in a pile of games that "I will get around to later". Well, I decided to install and fire up Max Payne last week because I am cleaning house, and decided to at least open it and play it a little before I get rid of it.

A week later, I'm at the last level. And I cannot believe what a GEM I had all along! This is a fricking amazing game - super-fun gameplay, super-fun bullet time physics, very cool level design, gripping storylines, unique noir-comic style, this game has it all. I am now tempted to go right out and buy Max Payne 2 right after I finish up with the first. The idea of the Havok physics engine running under a Max Payne game just boggles my mind!

For the few of you who didn't play this game yet, GO GET TO IT! NOW!

I just wish they would port the Havok SDK to the Mac so they could consequently port Max Payne 2. That game is almost literally the only game that kept me from selling my PC.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:37:26 AM »

I just finished it last night.  It does indeed rock.

You should check out some of the mods for the original - especially Kung-Fu 3.0.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 02:46:17 AM »

You liked the 'dream' level, too?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 04:00:53 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"

Not particularly but it wasn't too long and I could see why they had it in there.  I hated the building on fire level.  Ugh.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 04:09:27 AM »

Go out and get Max Payne 2 now. Fantastic game all around, and the dream sequences aren't as insane as the ones in the first game. Also, the cinema 1.6 mod for MP2 is about the single coolest thing I've ever played.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 04:52:15 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"

Well, they're not as bad as I heard, I did enjoy the parts when you are walking around "Max's house", infused with other things you saw during the same. The surrealism and wackiness is awesome. But the maze and the follow-the-blood-trail, oh did those suck the big one. But they're such small part of the game they don't really detract from the game as a whole.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 05:04:58 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Also, the cinema 1.6 mod for MP2 is about the single coolest thing I've ever played.

I'm ready to start MP2.  Should I just go ahead and play it with the Cinema mod the first time through or does the mod change the gameplay in any major ways?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 05:17:18 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Also, the cinema 1.6 mod for MP2 is about the single coolest thing I've ever played.

I'm ready to start MP2.  Should I just go ahead and play it with the Cinema mod the first time through or does the mod change the gameplay in any major ways?

Depends on your point of view. I'd go through it once to get the story unaltered, as it really is worth it. Cinema 1.6 gives you several new weapons, alters the speeds on bullet time and shoot dodge, changes some of the physics, and makes it so that bodies can go flying further than normal. You get the same story, but it's about 1000 times cooler. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 06:40:37 AM »

I'd say play w/Cinema 1.6 from the get go.  I played part way before Cinema came out, then went with Cinema the rest of the way, it justs makes the game more fun, it doesn't change the underlying plot at all.

Max Payne 1 w/Kung Fu 3.0, then after that w/the Katana mod is something you should think about before starting MP2 in my opinion.  Once you get a load of MP2 ragdoll & physics, it's gonna be tough to go back.  You can do everything in MP2 that you can do in MP1 except it just looks WAY cooler, hehe.

Dammit, the only bummer is that so far at least, MP2 still only has Cinema 1.6 as the one and only must have mod. MP1 has two- Kung Fu and Katana.

However, an Equilibrium inspired mod is soon to be released for MP2, I have high hopes for that one.

Since MP2 came out, I've spent more time playing that than any other game during all of 2004.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 06:47:26 AM »

Max Payne 2 was the best video game narrative, till HL2.  So freaking good.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 07:04:20 AM »

I tried the demos for both games, and found both really difficult.  I had decided that they just weren't the type of game for me, but then I found MP2 at Target for $5, and a few days later, got MP1 at EB for $1.75.  I started playing MP1, and I'm really glad I changed my mind about playing it.  I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's so much fun, I don't really mind having to redo sections.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 12:25:49 PM »

Supposedly the difficulty level for both games scales based on how well or how poor you're doing.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 02:17:20 PM »

Supposedly the difficulty level for both games scales based on how well or how poor you're doing.

In theory, but I never found that to be the case. There's a part early on in MP2 where you're in a room and guys run around on the floor above you shooting at you that really sucks, but otherwise it's fine. With the modifications in the Cinema 1.6 mod, that sequence becomes a lot easier not to mention the music adds about 10 layers of cool to an already sweet game. Get it. Now. You'll about wet yourself the first time you pick up a mini-gun and let it rip. biggrin

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 02:29:32 PM »

I never found the first game difficult, except for the ending.......

SPOILER
I had no clue what to do on the roof, until reading a faq.
Those damned cable bolts, or whatever they were, were just too small.

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 03:20:01 PM »

Me too, though I didn't read a faq. I thought back to the beginning, and changed to match the weapon Max was holding. Then it all made sense. smile

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 10:28:47 PM »

You'll about wet yourself the first time you pick up a mini-gun and let it rip. biggrin

Haha, ain't that the truth!  I tore shit up with that gun!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 11:50:13 PM »

Haven't played 2, played 1 through once and enjoyed it. The mods went untouched for me (as they came out after I sold the game).

The "New York Minute" held no interest for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 02:26:34 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Haven't played 2, played 1 through once and enjoyed it. The mods went untouched for me (as they came out after I sold the game).

No, wbs is talking about community developed mods, not just the stuff included with the game.

Or maybe Im not understanding what yer saying, but the Matrix and Kung-Fu mods for MP1 are d/l, community mods that add all kinds of cool stuff(unlimited bullet-time should you so desire it, different weapons, 'The Lobby Scene' from the Matrix, etc.).

The Cinema 1.6 mod kicks much booty..might just have to reinstall MP2 and replay that sucker...specially since my BRAND FREAKIN' NEW XBOX  IS BROKEN!!!!!   :cry:

I had one...
mad_alien
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

A little off topic, I was wondering if anyone else here was having problems getting a CRC error during the install of MP2 and if so how did you fix it, I 've had the game now for almost a year through a trade, but I can't get it to install, I know this is probably the wrong spot but if anyone's got any ideas it would be appreciated.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »

Quote from: "GungHo"
Quote from: "Purge"

No, wbs is talking about community developed mods, not just the stuff included with the game.

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that after I beat it once, I didn't feel like playing it again, and the only thing they give you is the New York Minute mode... I got rid of the game before the community mods came out.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 07:01:28 PM »

Yes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: