http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: holy @#%&! - it's really lara!  (Read 1920 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:48:04 PM »

i read about the legend trailer being available, but was hesitant (ie, afraid) to look right away - but damn! it's her! just like i remember her (*sigh!*)...

i always liked soul reaver (never much of a kain fan), & felt good about crystal dynamics (with toby gard aboard) taking a shot at, well, resuscitating her (we're obviously talking serious chest compressions here, eh?) - but i guess, truth to tell, i wasn't really hoping for all that much ("afraid of being 'hurt again'?", you say? - well, yes (*sniff*), i suppose so...

but this?! - i'm floored & amazed! so great to see her so athletic again! i might just end up watching this once a day from now til release...

but, please, i beg of you, even if you know for sure, don't tell me they've also brought back the woman who did her voice in the first game - at that point, my head might just explode in sheer bliss...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 12:02:01 AM »

I'm optimistic about this one as well.  I loved the TRs 1 & 2 and pretty much hated every one since (though there are a few I skipped based on abysmal reviews).  Everything I've read is that they are really trying to get back the exploration that made the original so good.  Hell, I was actually pretty excited when they first announced Angel of Darkness (premise seemed pretty interesting) but the control issues (among many other things) were just unforgivable. I don' think Crystal Dynamics will have that problem though.  

Liked everything I've seen about TR: Legends so far.  Very pleased to hear the original theme music in the background at the official site.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:10:26 AM »

I posted some new screenshots and renders too folks.  Scope it out!

http://consolegold.com/screenshots/index.php?GameID=3312

Some of my favorites...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 02:03:24 AM »

I think Lara looks much, much better now, only I can't quite put my finger on what's different about her. I'm kind of excited about this one, and the original was the only game in the series I enjoyed (also played Angel of Darkness but it sucked).

My smile still stays on.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 02:27:53 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I'm optimistic about this one as well.  I loved the TRs 1 & 2 and pretty much hated every one since (though there are a few I skipped based on abysmal reviews)

unlike you (& many like you), i enjoyed the third one as well (plus the add-on mini-adventures - i actually had a nice correspondence going with the tiny group of eidos sf folks that put those together). after 3, except for some nice stuff in chronicles (like the 'little lara' episode), things were never quite the same...

i've never really had more fun with, nor spent more time replaying, a series of games than i had/did with tr - as much fun, maybe, but not more...

Quote from: "O.DOGG"
I can't quite put my finger on what's different about her.

hey! - none of that!...

me - i think she looks younger...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 03:37:21 AM »

Not to sound gay or anything, but jesus man, give the woman some appropriate body dimensions.  That looks somewhat rediculous to me.  Put a little more meat on her, tone down those breasts - make her look more realistic and she may be more appealing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 04:00:19 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Not to sound gay or anything, but jesus man, give the woman some appropriate body dimensions.  That looks somewhat rediculous to me.  Put a little more meat on her, tone down those breasts - make her look more realistic and she may be more appealing.

Actually they did.  Compare this Lara to the AoD Lara and you will see she has had a rather large, ahem, reduction.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 04:30:28 AM »

Completely agree, and I dont want to sound gay either smile. Its just so teenagerish it bugs me.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 04:37:20 AM »

The upper half looks alright, but those hips throw the scale out the window.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »

Yeah.  She certainly doesn't look real.

However I just played God of War and Kratos didn't look realistic at all either so I guess i am willing to forgive - if the game mechanics are good.

From the trailer I saw the game mechanics look like they are good.  I just hope it plays well.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 02:38:33 PM »

Hi guys I am a major lurker here but I just have to comment on this thread.  The one thing that really bothers me about Tomb Raider is how the whole movement is based on a grid system.  It makes moving and running and jumping such a dreadful chore.  I just checked out the movie and although I admit it looks like she has some cool new moves, it looks to me from a couple of shots that we actually got to see her running that she still controls like a tank.  If that's true then I'll probably pass this one up.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 10:37:27 PM »

The thing that struck me is that she looks similar to the way she did in the original, just a lot more polygons, like they took the old model and added to it.  The breasts have some serious wonder bra action going on.  It looks silly with all the angles in the legs and then almost spherical breasts.

I enjoyed them back on the PS1 and wouldn't mind seeing another good TR adventure.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 10:57:10 PM »

Heya Canuck.  Its my objective to get to PLAY the game this E3...perhaps I'll be able to assuage some of that 'tankedness' that we all hope have been written out. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 02:19:00 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Its my objective to get to PLAY the game this E3...

insanely jealous? yeah, i am...

anyway, if you happen to see winston, please do give'm all my best...

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 03:22:28 AM »

Yes, it is ridiculous indeed...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 05:48:37 AM »

I think the sluggish movement might be due to the animation blending and the addition of inertia.  Few games these days give the player that much inertia, instead the player can pull Gs while just running around that would crush a fighter pilot.

When played from a third person perspective, this instant acceleration can be quite unrealistic to the eye.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: