http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:18:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold the Phones guys, Xbox 360 Hard Drive not included?  (Read 3390 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 03:49:39 AM »

Gamespot link

Specifically;

Aptly titled "Checking up on Xbox 360 Expectations," among the highlights was McNealy's belief the new console is "on track for a November launch," as well as his pick for price: $299, "with the 20-gig hard drive selling as a peripheral for somewhere in the range of $60-$99."

This would definately be a buzz-killer for me. Eventhough I had no intentions of getting one at launch, have to buy the HD separate would suck.

I am guessing that we'll have to wait until October, or is it next week? for any real hard news.

I know this is the second rumor to come out in a few days, and it flys directly in the face of what Allard was saying at E3, but stranger things have happened. I just don't think it's good to have these kind of rumors flying around when your system hits in a few months.

IGN Has it too

Also from the IGN Mailbag
Prediction
This new article of yours states this guy predicting that two versions of Xbox 360 will be available, one with a hard drive and one without one. I thought Microsoft already stated that only one version was coming out and it was going to include a hard drive? I don't think there will be two versions as Oblivion is being released on the Xbox 360, and it needs a hard drive to be a playable.

Microsoft, in various PR statements, has said a few things. They have said nothing about price, nothing about a date. But they have said the system would come with a hard drive. There have been various reports about different versions, one with a hard drive, one without. But it's tough to know for sure, because MS hasn't confirmed anything. It could be one system without a HD, and one with it. These are the firm's predictions. Personally, I hope there is only one version, but knowing MS, they want to bank on as much hardware as possible this generation after losing so much the first time out. Remember, if you don't have a HD, and you don't need to go online, what's the big deal? Music? Stream it. Need to save a game? Use a memory card. If you do need an HD, you pay a little more, and you get a little more.

--Douglass

We definately need some hard info soon eitherway, and would this affect some of you getting the system?

Me, I don't think I would, not for a long time, and I was considering the 360, as it was looking to be the most reasonable of next gen machines, with decent price point and range of features. However, two systems, HD add-ons and stuff like that scare me away, atleast for a lot longer than normal because you have to wait and see what supports which etc.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:10:15 AM »

I'll get the skinny but this sounds like BS.  To my knowledge, all Xbox 360's ship with 20GB hdds.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:33:46 AM »

I guess all I would say is that those are both tied to analyst projections (which can be wrong from time to time and are done to promote or demote a stock).  He may have forgotten to check facts that MS said the hard drive would be included in the system.

In fact, here is Microsoft's Xbox 360 Fact Sheet.  Under storage it says "Detachable and upgradable 20GB Hard Drive"...maybe he is thinking of larger hard drives being extra...I really don't know.

Before it was unveiled the word from the same analyst was there would be 2 SKUs.  From all that was learned pre-E3 and during E3 I've only heard that the hard drive will be there and there will only be one SKU.

Microsoft should be announcing a date and price soon, then we'll know for sure.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:25:24 AM »

Yeah, the whole "pay extra for hdd version" is a load of BUNK, IMHO.

Analysts didn't think the Xbox would be successful or nip into Sony's margin, they thought it would be more expensive (who'd wanna lose $150 a console at the cash registers??).

They're predicting this based on the earliest reports, and what they see as most feasable. I recall MS stating at some point that the HDD is included; the "removable" aspect is for portability, not component sales ... this was just prior to E3, and just after the MTV show. Until then, the dual package was all the rage on the boards. Then that talk seemed to go away except with analyst reports.

The fact that they've added free weekends for Live and are building in the DVD playback without needing a kit are two clear signs that MS is listening to the user base of the existing XBOX, not the "market analysts". Yes, you need to buy a separate recharge kit / battery for your xbox controller (as the cost-per-controller of that is too much to eat), but hey, we all have NiMH2300 AA batteries we can use until we get tired of switching them, right?

I wonder how many analysts are gamers? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 01:21:02 AM »

well considering that these reports just recently came out, and that the analyst's sole job is to cover the videogame market, I find it hard to see him missing any of the announcements we've mentioned.

As well, the gamespot guy in particular is fairly accurate.

Just because they aren't touting a hd-less system doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 03:16:12 AM »

If the HDD is removable, then I think you can safely assume that they will be selling replacement parts just like they will sell extra controllers or video connectors.  I don't see anything in the report that would indicate that the HDD is not included.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:30:55 AM »

If MS made the HD an addon they might as well throw it away. Throughout the entire history of consoles there is one lesson, if you want a feature to be widely adopted you make it part of the base system, period. All you have to do is look at the PS2 HD. Also as others have said I doubt Bethesda would be making Oblivion for the Xbox 360 if the HD wasn't going to be standard.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 01:57:21 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
well considering that these reports just recently came out, and that the analyst's sole job is to cover the videogame market, I find it hard to see him missing any of the announcements we've mentioned.

As well, the gamespot guy in particular is fairly accurate.

Gamespot's also in bed with sony - I'd take that news with a grain of salt

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4046&
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 02:01:20 PM »

My rep says, and I quote "Its bullshit."

So there ya have it. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 11:29:05 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

I prefer this direct approach to the standard "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation." :twisted:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 11:33:09 PM »

I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to be positive about this subject.

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 12:23:04 AM »

See what Bill Harris has to say about "analysts":

Then the article goes on to blah blah blah about Sony maybe cutting the price of the PS2 to "distract" people from the Xbox 360 launch and a bunch of other not terribly rational lines of reasoning that add up to a hole with no dirt in it.

Relax. This was written by a securities firm to generate publicity for themselves. Again. They get told "invent a different take", they do, and the press jumps on it, even if it's not even remotely credible.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:17:37 AM »

Bill writes a great blog.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 01:48:30 AM »

Ron always gets the scoop.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »

Well, I still can't wait to hear all the details in the next week or so.

I was going to say that the move would be contradictory to everything they've done with the 360 so far, which points to a very comprehensive and complete system, one much more appealing than the XBox. The only thing I don't like is the idea of the micropayments for content and such, but this should be a strong machine come a year into it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 09:39:45 PM »

From the new September Issue of GI:

The Allard interview doesn't really say much that we hadn't known already. States that all launch 360's will come pre-packaged with a HDD, but they might release a HD-DVD/Blu-ray version or HDD-less version later, depending on how the format war goes. The whole interview is talking about hardware.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 04:09:07 AM »

From the Game Informer interview, it sounds like having two versions is pretty much a done deal; it's only a matter of when they do it.  They've told developers not to count on the hard drive always being there.  I don't really see what the appeal of a non-hard drive version would be, though.  Unless it's much less expensive (more than $50 cheaper), what would be the point?  You'd have to buy some sort of memory for it, presumably at $20-$30 that would hold a fraction of the amount of data of the hard drive.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 04:23:31 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
From the Game Informer interview, it sounds like having two versions is pretty much a done deal; it's only a matter of when they do it. They've told developers not to count on the hard drive always being there.

Which brings up an interesting question- Has it been confirmed that the harddrive is required to run Oblivion?  Kathode?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 04:27:50 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
From the Game Informer interview, it sounds like having two versions is pretty much a done deal; it's only a matter of when they do it. They've told developers not to count on the hard drive always being there.

Which brings up an interesting question- Has it been confirmed that the harddrive is required to run Oblivion?  Kathode?

I doubt there's any way he could answer that at this moment given that Microsoft hasn't said whether a non-HD version will be out at launch or not officially.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 05:22:40 AM »

As long as MS is openly entertaining the possibility of a non-HDD SKU in the future then is it in most devs best interests to develop for the harddrive since you might be limiting sales down the road?  

That's why I'm so curious about Oblivion- if any launch title outside of FFXI would seem to need the HDD, it's Oblivion.  But would Bethesda be pissed if MS introduces a new HDD-less SKU a year down the road that can't play Obivion?  I seem to recall that Square-Enix was rumored to be pissed at Sony when they released the PS2 slimline for much the same reason.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 07:47:55 AM »

MS needs to cut the BS and just make the announcement about what, when, and how much.  All this speculation just makes people on the fence unsure of whether they want the system, and that makes them susceptible to being swayed by another system.  I honestly don't understand what MS thinks they are gaining by waiting until 3 months (or less) before launch to announce the details.  We need to know price, when it's out, what all the features will be, and what games will be backwards compatible.  

I'm in retail and can confirm that while pre-orders have been good, there are also lots of people who are undecided because of questions.  MS needs to realize that shelling out $500 for a new system (including games, extra accessories, etc.) requires some pre-planning for most people.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 05:18:19 PM »

I think they are announcing all the details this week.

I agree with what you say, Sarkus, but once the details are out there they will have an opportunity to sway people back to the 360.  It's not like the PS3 is coming out at the same time.  It might be frustrating to wait and speculate on details, but their are even fewer details on the other systems at the moment.

The details have probably just been cemented.  I'd rather have solid information than a premature announcement followed by a lot of back-tracking.

I'm sure MS's marketing blitz is going to make the Halo 2 campaign pale in comparison.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 05:31:43 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
MS needs to cut the BS and just make the announcement about what, when, and how much.

I believe they are making this announcement at 9:30 am (EST) on August 17, at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 02:55:56 PM »

I don't really see what the appeal of a non-hard drive version would be, though.  Unless it's much less expensive (more than $50 cheaper), what would be the point?

One speculative answer : Static NV RAM is easier to access, no seek time. If the price keeps coming down, who knows... MS is in bed with the biggest Static RAM company in the world. ( forgot their name; it was big news about a year ago).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »

So with what's come to light from Game Informer, it's looking more that way, but not until much later. I knew that they were going to offer a HD-DVD version, I didn't think that they would omit the Hard-drive.

I dunno, it just bugs me and now I can't wait to hear the straight poop from them.

Also, Ron, it sounds like your rep isn't in the know completely, or atleast isn't allowed to tell you anything until everyone else knows.

I think any kind of multiple versions would only hurt, whether that's an HD-dvd version, or and Hard-driveless version. I am hoping that they don't go down this road, because it will make the 360 look weaker, when right now it looks very strong.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 08:21:35 PM »

I think any kind of multiple versions would only hurt, whether that's an HD-dvd version, or and Hard-driveless version. I am hoping that they don't go down this road, because it will make the 360 look weaker, when right now it looks very strong.

I think the HD-less version would lead to confusion in the marketplace and generally be a bad idea, but if they do decide to put out a 360 with an HD-DVD player in the future I don't think this will AS bad.  From what we've heard this will be for movies only and not have anything to do with changing the DVD format for games.  I really doubt they will even follow through with the idea since there is little to gain (standalone players will be cheaper) and it could confuse potential buyers.  It would be a nice bullet point on the features list but has the potential to alienate the existing customer base.

I certainly don't like the idea of a HD-less Xbox.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 08:36:12 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
really doubt they will even follow through with the idea since there is little to gain (standalone players will be cheaper) and it could confuse potential buyers.

Probably not for a long time.  Standalone HD-DVD/Bluray players are likely to start upwards of $400 or more and with market penetration almost assuredly much slower than DVD will likely take significantly longer to come down in price.  Paying a $50-100 premium on a HD-DVD 360 might actually be a helluva deal for anyone looking for high definition DVD.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 05:40:37 PM »

According to USAToday two versions it is:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-08-17-xbox-360-prices_x.htm
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 05:44:23 PM »

You need a new rep.  :wink:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 05:49:48 PM »

Heh, indeed.  We'll have to talk.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »

while the 399 package offers superior value, I think this is the Biggest Mistake they can make. I thought they learned from the mistakes of the other companies. Damn it the 360 was looking great, and it still seems great, but not 400 bucks great.

I can't imagine anyone getting the 300 dollar unit, but imagine some poor kid getting that one and finding out he can't play certain games from the launch on Christmas day...

Ugh, I don't know how I feel about this to tell the truth. It doesn't make me happy, and it is Clearly a bad decision. It should either be only Harddrive or no Harddrive.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 09:08:04 PM »

I can't imagine anyone getting the 300 dollar unit, but imagine some poor kid getting that one and finding out he can't play certain games from the launch on Christmas day...

He'll be able to play whatever launch game he wants on Christmas Day.  All the games will be coded to not make use of a hard disk, but will also code for speeding the game along if a hard disk is there.

Original Xbox games though might be another story...

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2005, 09:14:18 PM »

oh, well that's better, it still sucks that I'd get to play gimped games because I don't want to shell out an extra 100 bucks.

Where are all the haters that ragged on Nintendo for making you need a GBA and 3 friends to "fully" enjoy certain games the other year? This is the same kind of retarded BS. Microsoft is essentially stating that those who buy the more expensive system will get the maximum enjoyment from their games. Or if you buy the cheaper version you have to pay out the ass for the upgrades.

It doesn't fly with me, just like Nintendo's connectivity was BS, this is BS. Gamers shouldn't put up with this stuff.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2005, 09:15:37 PM »

Well, there's a lot of hate in the Xbox 360 Pre-Release Thread...maybe you should check there or check out my blog in my sig.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

He'll be able to play whatever launch game he wants on Christmas Day.  All the games will be coded to not make use of a hard disk, but will also code for speeding the game along if a hard disk is there.

Has anyone from Bethesda confirmed on the record that Oblivion will work without the harddrive?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »

Has anyone from Bethesda confirmed on the record that Oblivion will work without the harddrive?

Borys over on Evil Avatar had this to say:

"Devs aren't building ANY games (including Oblivion, ask kathode!) around HDD. It's only used for caching. You'll maybe get faster load-times on the HD version but the whole experience will be the same - as you won't miss anything, same features, same game."

He says ask kathode, so maybe he has announced it would only use the HDD for caching, I really don't know.  Oblivion would be probably the only game that might need the HDD outside of FF XI.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 10:24:36 PM »

Confirmed on Bethesda's boards:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145879

Quote from: "Pete from Bethesda"
For those of you that have been wondering, just a quick word. Oblivion does not REQUIRE a hard drive to work on Xbox 360. It will work on every Xbox 360. We would recommend you get one if you have the means, but it is in no way a requirement.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »

Good to know.  I wonder what the performance difference will be (if any)?

Didn't Bethesda say something about probably not doing a PS3 version because it didn't have a HDD or am I misremembering?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2005, 12:56:22 PM »

So what you guys are telling me is that instead of allowing developers to use the HDD for ways to make games a LOT better -- creativity, etc, all that.....   They are making game developers ignore the HD except for basic, rudimentary, trival tasks...... right?

So for the sake of a cutesy MARKETING ploy, they are hamstringing developers and games....

Microsoft -- the capitalist in me was sympathetic to your plight a few years back, but s*** like this makes me wish you'd been BURIED by the government.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 06:04:52 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
So what you guys are telling me is that instead of allowing developers to use the HDD for ways to make games a LOT better -- creativity, etc, all that.....   They are making game developers ignore the HD except for basic, rudimentary, trival tasks...... right?

So for the sake of a cutesy MARKETING ploy, they are hamstringing developers and games....

Microsoft -- the capitalist in me was sympathetic to your plight a few years back, but s*** like this makes me wish you'd been BURIED by the government.

Oh get a goddamn grip. Yeah, I feel gypped too, and I think it will hamper their success in this generation IF Sony takes the other route (Which I highly highly doubt), but wishing that the compnay was dismantled by the government because they failed to include a HDD as standard? Have some goddamn perspective.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: