http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:29:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold me, I've become a PC gamer  (Read 941 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:35 AM »

How did this happen? I loved my consoles, but now I spend almost all my time on the PC. I'll tell you what happened:

1) controller support - pretty much every game supports the controller seamlessly now. Fire the controller up and the button prompts change and you wouldn't know you're not on the XBOX.

2) Steam/Amazon/Gamersgate/Greenman - AAA titles are on sale all the time, dirt cheap and downloadable.

3) The death of Goozex - except for must have MP titles I used to trade for everything. Now Goozex is all but dead, so getting a great download deal is a lot more attractive than waiting for half decent disc deals that are a lot less frequent. Even new game prices are good - $45 to preorder Tomb Raider + bonuses? I'm thinking about it.

4) Wireless HDMI - I have a reasonably sized monitor, but if I want the 60 inch screen I can have it.

I'm kind of curious what I will do when the next XBOX comes out. Too bad I heard that PC gaming is dying.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »

PC gaming is awesome, except for competitive MP where console anti-cheats take the cake for me.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »

Yep I have all the consoles but still game 90% of the time on my pc. Xbox controller makes it very easy. New gen. May give them a miss this time unless something really good stands out.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

#2 and #3 are driving a lot of my PC gaming (plus a few friends were doing Borderlands 2 on PC vs xbox). I'm still fine with either, but PC does have its price advantage.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »

I go through cycles.  I'll be all consoles for 6 months, then I won't touch them for the next 6 and game on the PC.  I'm currently in the middle of a PC cycle right now with Guild Wars 2.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »

I switched back to PC gaming a few months ago... it's amazing how far it has come in 10 years and Steam is the greatest thing to ever happen to it.

I am 99% sure I won't be making the jump to the next console cycle, so PC gaming will be it.

That said, I'm striking a balance of PC and 360 play at the moment.

Too bad I heard that PC gaming is dying.

icon_lol

It has been dying for 10 years slywink.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 13, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

I am 99% sure I won't be making the jump to the next console cycle, so PC gaming will be it.

Hah! Just like every other generation that has been introduced, the upcoming one will blow everyone's minds. Then 3-4 years will pass and the PC will once more be ahead. Happens every time.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »

I buy everything, I can't help it.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »

I'm almost exclusively a PC gamer. My PS3 occasionally gets some love, but can't deny I'm mostly a PC gamer. I don't think the PC is going to go away anytime soon. Most games that require some sort of strategy, resource management or just 'long term planning' skills are on the PC. MMOs are also much better on the PC. Consoles have tended to go very mainstream. I don't care for dancing games, motion games, FPS 'Call Of Duty' games. There are many games on consoles that just don't get my attention.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »

Steam + lower prices for PC titles + Steam's evil holiday sales + PC gaming with a 360 controller = lots of PC gaming time for me too.  I own a PS3 and 360, but it's a no brainer for me when I see a title I want for $59.99 on 360/PS3 versus $39.99-49.99 on PC.  The MP might sway me towards the 360, but that's it...unless the PC port is bad or it comes out months later.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

Couple of years ago I moved my router from the PC room to the console room.  But recently I moved it back since I use PC a lot more frequently.  I think the biggest factor for me is that there aren't as many console exclusives anymore.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

I just walked by a Gamespot... and there was a line of dudes outside waiting to buy Black Ops 2. I *just* don't get the appeal of those games. I had to chuckle a little.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 13, 2012, 09:58:45 PM

I just walked by a Gamespot... and there was a line of dudes outside waiting to buy Black Ops 2. I *just* don't get the appeal of those games. I had to chuckle a little.

Hey man, I just said that I play my PC a lot, I didn't say I've become a snob! I still don't play TBS, 4X and RTS games. slywink

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2012, 10:16:20 PM

Hey man, I just said that I play my PC a lot, I didn't say I've become a snob! I still don't play TBS, 4X and RTS games. slywink

You will.... Soon. (/nefarious laughter)  slywink
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:29 AM »

And thus it begins. You will soon know the power of a fully armed and operational gaming rig.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2012, 10:16:20 PM

LOL - you just described me to a tee.  Sniggering at all the guys lined up to by the annual release of COD before I go home to play Civ, Elemental or some indie RTS game.  smile  Although I'm not a total snob - reviews convinced me to play Halo 4, and I picked Skyrim on the 360, not the PC, so I could sit on my comfy couch.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 03:22:06 AM »

The primary reason I game on my PC is because of the better graphics. But you do pay a premium for it, the graphics cards alone are the same price as a console.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:55:16 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 03:19:18 AM »

in the last 6 months, I have bought the following on PC instead of console:

Spec Ops
Binary Domain
Syndicate
Sleeping Dogs
Borderlands 2
Xcom
Dishonored

Far Cry 3 is up next on PC

why?  I used to be all console and a low level achievement whore.  more like an achievement fuck-buddy I guess. 

two reasons.  cost and graphics quality.  on that list above, I paid less than full price on each one.  figure I saved about 165 on those above over what it would have cost buying console.

even on an older graphics card, they still look much much better than on 360.

were AC3 not delayed as long as it was, I would have bought it there too. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: