http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hold a tick...GH: Rocks the 80s Warning  (Read 1530 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »

Uh....so I was a big fan of GH1 and 2, but I think Harmonix phoned this pup in.  Many of the tracks are just downright painful to listen to, and you'll have to slog through quite a few that really suck to get to the scant few that are any good.  The fact that there are only the tracks in the career mode (and those were easy enough to beat on Hard in less than 2 hours) puts this on my 'must warn the readers' list.  Tread with caution, and for the love of all that holy - don't pay full price. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:35:36 PM »

uh, hello what did you expect - its IS called '80s edition

(i know a few of you, but damn i NEVER understood the passion for some of the "music" from the 80s - terrible, terrible stuff smile)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:46 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 24, 2007, 11:35:36 PM

uh, hello what did you expect - its IS called '80s edition

(i know a few of you, but damn i NEVER understood the passion for some of the "music" from the 80s - terrible, terrible stuff smile)

Oh nono...I LOVE the 80s music!  It's almost all I listen to on Sirius.   This is just not right...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:51:52 PM »

Thanks, I was contemplating picking it up (I did mention at a $20 price), but it sounds like it isn't even worth that.

Thanks for letting us know, KD biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 24, 2007, 11:41:46 PM

Oh nono...I LOVE the 80s music!  It's almost all I listen to on Sirius.   This is just not right...

Hair Nation rules! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 02:30:24 AM »

Hardcore GH fan here and I'm not touching it for anywhere near that price. I just don't understand their reasoning for it. I hear most of the songs are easier too. As in not on par with Gh2 difficulty. Bah. Give me rock band.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 03:06:15 AM »

I received an email from Fry's.  I don't know if this is a sale price or not, but they were advertising the 80's edition with the Red Octane wireless controller for $85.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 03:35:32 AM »

I concur I was really disappointed by this game.  The covers just had no life in them and some of the songs were missing parts.  Metal Health no solo missing some notes in Play with me.

There were about 8 songs that I liked and would play again but the others just bad no fun at all.  I guess all energy into Rock Band.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 04:49:22 AM »

Ah yes the good ' ol 80's. The decade in which the guitar all but vanished.  Roll Eyes
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 04:53:02 AM »

Hold a tick?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 25, 2007, 04:53:02 AM

Hold a tick?

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 24, 2007, 11:32:32 PM

Uh....so I was a big fan of GH1 and 2, but I think Harmonix phoned this pup in.  Many of the tracks are just downright painful to listen to, and you'll have to slog through quite a few that really suck to get to the scant few that are any good.  The fact that there are only the tracks in the career mode (and those were easy enough to beat on Hard in less than 2 hours) puts this on my 'must warn the readers' list.  Tread with caution, and for the love of all that holy - don't pay full price. 

I absolutely love it.  The Scorpions, Skid Row, Eddie Money, Flock of Seagulls...and that's just the first set.  I'll admit that they could have added some new arenas, guitars, or characters, but it is what it is and I like it.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »

Will this, or at least the songs, ever be available for the X360?

I loved 80's music!!!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:27:03 PM »

This situation with Rock the 80s vaguely pisses me off.  Mainly because it seems like everyones falling all over themselves slobbering over Harmonix because Rock Band looks so awesome to the point where Harmonix will get a free pass for crapping out this one. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »

Boy, I sure am glad I sold my PS2 Guitar Hero so I could get the 360 version.  I love getting these new 80's tracks, as well as having access to all that awesome, reasonably priced DLC content!

Oh, wait...   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 25, 2007, 01:27:03 PM

This situation with Rock the 80s vaguely pisses me off.  Mainly because it seems like everyones falling all over themselves slobbering over Harmonix because Rock Band looks so awesome to the point where Harmonix will get a free pass for crapping out this one.

Harmonix gets the benefit of the doubt from me until we discover some exposé unveiling what really happened in the Red Octane/Harmonix split that points the finger otherwise.  They earned their free pass as far as I'm concerned.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 25, 2007, 01:36:04 PM

Harmonix gets the benefit of the doubt from me until we discover some exposé unveiling what really happened in the Red Octane/Harmonix split that points the finger otherwise.  They earned their free pass as far as I'm concerned.

I like Harmonix plenty and Rock Band looks quite awesome on it's own merits but I see no reason they should be given a free pass for putting out shoddy product.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 01:50:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 25, 2007, 01:41:07 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 25, 2007, 01:36:04 PM

I like Harmonix plenty and Rock Band looks quite awesome on it's own merits but I see no reason they should be given a free pass for putting out shoddy product.

I can see where you're coming from, but you have to admit it's a tough position to be creating a product for your biggest competitor.  The more they impress the public with 80s Edition and build up the Guitar Hero name, the tougher the battle for Rock Band just 4 short months from now.

It just seems so bizarre that they would have Harmonix go through with 80s Edition after the split.  IMO when the split happened and everyone's plans changed, Red Octane should've just adapted 80s Edition to be a $20 downloadable add-on for Guitar Hero II on the 360.  The lack of bonus songs and new guitars to purchase becomes a non-issue, the DLC promises for GHII no longer look as empty, and you boost the Guitar Hero brand more than the $50 boxed 80s Edition seems to be doing.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 25, 2007, 01:50:51 PM

I can see where you're coming from, but you have to admit it's a tough position to be creating a product for your biggest competitor.  The more they impress the public with 80s Edition and build up the Guitar Hero name, the tougher the battle for Rock Band just 4 short months from now.

Right, but it's a situation of Harmonix's own doing.  The split happened a while back.  So either they signed on to do '80s edition *after* the split or they had something in their original contract for Guitar Hero 2 saying they had to do at least one expansion.  Either way, they had a contractual obligation and I have no sympathy for anyone who does shoddy work on a product that people are paying money to play.  It sullies their name for me.  On the flip side, if they did the best they could do, and then if Neversoft drops the ball on GH3 it will make it that much clearer how important Harmonix was to the franchise. 

It's not like Harmonix is the little indie label that needs support.  They're owned by MTV and Rock Band is being published by EA.  This is more like a battle of corporate titans than some form of The Man against The Little Guy. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

Help me remember my gaming history: when did the Red Octane/Harmonix split happen, May 2006?  And then 80s Edition was first announced as being in development in January '07?

Did a bit more digging:

May '06: Activision buys Red Octane for $100M
September '06: MTV buys Harmonix for $175M
January '07: We first hear of 80s Edition "already in development" with an expected Spring release

So when are they considered "split," when Activision makes the purchase or when MTV makes the purchase?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:31:56 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »

I"d say September would be most likely but it's not that clear-cut since MTV's ownership wouldn't have precluded Harmonix staying on with Red Octane and Activision.  Harmonix was never owned by Red Octane or Activision so it's very possible they they had hatched plans for breaking way from the franchise relatively early if they felt that they weren't going to get a fair cut. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »

So, is the 80's edition coming to the Xbox 360?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on July 25, 2007, 02:37:07 PM

So, is the 80's edition coming to the Xbox 360?
I don't think it's ever been mentioned.  Boggles the mind.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »

80's warning?  does he have a mullet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 25, 2007, 04:49:22 AM

Ah yes the good ' ol 80's. The decade in which the guitar all but vanished.  Roll Eyes

I think you have the 80's confused with the 90's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: