http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2:What tactic did you take when...  (Read 2117 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2005, 02:51:02 AM »

...you're surrounded by incoming soldiers and you have to set up the sentry guns.  This is where Alex is guiding you over the coms. I have three sentry guns.  I tried staying in that room where you pick them up and killing everyone at close range.  A shotgun blast is usually what takes me out there.  I seem to have more success at one of the "T" intersections with two guns pointed towards and entrance and one pointed to one of the cross sections.  I stand between the two gun positions under the upper hallway and cover the rear.  I gives me some cover and I can quickly run out and set up toppled guns or blast away grenades.  Problem is I still can't survive.  :oops:

What are some other strategies I should try?  I'm always interested in hearing how other people handled it.  Any strategies for other parts of the game coming up?  I've played through already on NORMAL but am finding most of my my tactics from that are not working on HARD (which is a good thing).
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 03:12:16 AM »

This spot gave me a helluva rough time also, I tried maybe 10 or 12 times with no luck.  I tried that room where they spawn, tried defending the whole prison block, etc(though, my stupid self didn't know that you could pick them up and set them back up again with the gravity gun...)

I found a couple strategies, but the one that worked for me on the first try was, one of the cells on the side of the prison block has lights inside, if you setup 2 sentry guns just inside the door and then one back a bit, with you standing in the back also, they kick ass.  Sometimes one gets knocked over, but you should have plenty of time to correct it, and make sure you always have the gravity gun out so if someone throws a grenade in, you can pick it up and throw it out real quick, that's a surefire way to get in trouble...  Good luck, that spot gave me a helluva time(only other spot that got me that frustrated was taking out the 2 flying things just before Nova Prospekt, but I was trying to stand still and shoot at then instead of running to avoid fire, I learned my lesson on that...)
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 03:29:17 AM »

Want to see a video about that spot?  Here's one from Gamespot - you need to register for an account with them and be logged on to get it.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6113893/p-33.html

Be sure to read the text on that page, too.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 03:49:34 AM »

Quote from: "Kestrel"
Want to see a video about that spot?  Here's one from Gamespot - you need to register for an account with them and be logged on to get it.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6113893/p-33.html

Be sure to read the text on that page, too.

I tried something like that.  It ended in death biggrin . On HARD the soldiers can take more hits and always seem to knock the guns down(as they usually live long enough to always have 2-3 guns on you).

Right after I posted this I tried again setting one gun towards the entrance you initially come through, one towards the rear entrance and one through the hall with the ammo box.  I kept cover under the stairs and behind posts with the gravity gun and MP5.  Worked on the first try. smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 05:21:40 AM »

I tried everything also. From many spots too. I even put 3 guns in a little prisoner cell with me but then i just got naded.

The way I finally beat it was with a strategy i found online. Mighta been at gamefaqs.com. You take all 3 guns to the next hall like room up from where you get the guns. If you are facing towards the direction the gun room is you put 2 guns on the right facing the door with bars on each side. You put the other gun to the left covering that way. Then you pick up barrels and boxes and you make you a little fort in the corner near the single gun and give it back up. That way when you duck you are safe. So stand and fire and duck to reload. Try to keep the sents up. it hard since you really cant reach the 2 on the other side. I just fired and fired and tried to keep the single gun up near me. I hated that part.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 05:31:54 AM »

You could also collect all the guns from the rooms before and take them with you.  I did it the hard way with only three guns the first time, but when I took the guns from before I ended up with 6 or 7 and it was pretty easy.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: World of Warcraft | Xbox360: Rock Band 3, Lips, Dance Central
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 05:41:29 AM »

I set up a gun near the entrances and one inside pointing left out of the first hallway.  I then crouched inside one of the lockers facing right.  I picked them off as they stuck their ugly mugs around the corner I was covering.  Once the guns were knocked out (didn't know you could pick them back up!) I hid in my cubby and shot them when they ran in front of me.  Only one could line up with me at a time.  It worked well until I had to reload and they were pouring in.  I ran out of ammo and had to run around into the next hall to pick up more.  I was just flat out running like hell at that point and thankfully the wave stopped!  I tried it a few times in a more straight-forward fashion and ended up dead.  If only I had known you could set the guns back up...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 06:12:54 AM »

One word  of advice - you have another sentry gun scenario coming up after this and it is much more easy if you take one of them with you from this encounter.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 07:38:17 AM »

Hey Stiffler, you do know you can set the guns back up, right?

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 08:00:08 AM »

I put one gun in a locker. I put one gun across the entrance. I put one gun in the same room as me. I blocked some part off with boxes. Then I hid in a locker. I had to step out a few times to right the gun.

Did you know you could pick the gun up and use it as auto fire gun. I think I brought two from some other location so I had a few extra. There are two areas where you get pinned down. The first is easy the second was a pain in the but.

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 07:29:57 PM »

I remember loving this part but not so much how I did it. I think I found clever hiding spots were it would be hard to knock them over and gave good cross fire on the oncoming enemies, but more details than that I do not have. Sorry.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 01:14:45 AM »

yeah, there should be another room next to where you get the sentry guns (I think there is a ammo crate there?).  I set up the guns in there, put 2 in one doorway and 1 at the other doorway.  I put some crates/barrels/etc to block the guns and doorway.

When the guards come, I spend most of my time with the lone sentry gun.  But remember to be quick about putting downed sentry guns back up.

I think it's a smaller room so it's easier to move back and forth.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 03:57:06 AM »

i used every piece of furniture i could find in the area to block all entrances so the Combine couldn't reach me.  then i set up the turrets just behind the blockade...they took out all but one or two of the Combine while i hid in a little side room Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 03:01:04 PM »

One of the ends of the main hallways doesn't have a second floor above it and the entryway is blocked with bars.  This is where I made my stand.  

I stacked boxes over the left half of it and set a gun pointing backwards towards the right-half.  The other two guns I put facing down the hallway.   One was close to the wall on the right to shoot straight down the hallway.  The other on the left was near a pillar and was angled so that it could take on anyone coming out of the side-entrance.  But the key was to move it back so that they would have to be at the door before it stopped them.  Then I would just make sure the guns stayed upright and lend fire-support where needed.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »

I set up my 3 guns in a half circle around a prison cell.  There is a specific one where 3 guns gives you coverage on the 3 avenues of approach.  Keep them close enough to the door that you can reach out and grab them, but not so close that any bullets or nades thrown at the guns will effect you.  its a thin line to walk and it took me 3 tries, but it seemed to work better than any other way i tried.

AttA
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »

For the prison cells, here's the trick I found:

There are three guns and four cells. Take each gun out, and rotate it 180-degrees then put it back in the cell it was in. Stand in the open cell and duck. Combine comes in and can't hit the guns, and you can smoke as many Combine as you want. Easy to perform and execute, a bitch to finally figure out. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 02:29:05 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
For the prison cells, here's the trick I found:

There are three guns and four cells. Take each gun out, and rotate it 180-degrees then put it back in the cell it was in. Stand in the open cell and duck. Combine comes in and can't hit the guns, and you can smoke as many Combine as you want. Easy to perform and execute, a bitch to finally figure out. biggrin

I'm going to go back and try that one.  Sounds like fun. smile
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 09:35:44 PM »

Got to this point in the game and then went off to playing something else for a while. Had read how to get past it but this thread gave me the urge to go back and do it. Only took me two tries.

Funny thing happened after it though. I met up with Alex and when I went through a load point another Alex appeared. So now I got two of them smile . Only 1 would fight though but they both followed me. I then stepped on a broken computer and blew me up frown . Luckily I had a save right before that point.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 10:49:19 PM »

LOL, Creepy.  Funny glitch.

I remember that part.  I'm a wussy, though, so on easy it wasn't that difficult.  I think I died once and had to do it over again.  Good memory, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »

I am told you can actually set the guns back up!

:lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 04:58:31 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I am told you can actually set the guns back up!

:lol:

Teh funnys smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 05:50:38 AM »

Quote from: "Creepy_Smell"
Got to this point in the game and then went off to playing something else for a while. Had read how to get past it but this thread gave me the urge to go back and do it. Only took me two tries.

Funny thing happened after it though. I met up with Alex and when I went through a load point another Alex appeared. So now I got two of them smile . Only 1 would fight though but they both followed me. I then stepped on a broken computer and blew me up frown . Luckily I had a save right before that point.

Mmmm.  Twins.   Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: