http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 09:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 vs Vampire  (Read 2246 times)
stimpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 03:41:07 AM »

O.K. here's the deal.
I have been playing HL2 since it came out. I am about 2/3 through (I think). I dont usually have alot of time to indulge myself with games as much as I would like to. So I am getting alittle bored by HL2, as is such the case with most games I play. I can count on 1 hand how many games I have actually finished. That being said, Vampires has been sitting unopened for about a week, waiting. I have had no issues with HL2 as far as performance. I have been reading about the problems some people are having with Vampires. As far as game play, how similar are the 2 games? If I start Vampires while still playing HL2 and being kinda bored with it, do you think it will hurt my enjoyment of Vampires (if it runs o.k. for me)?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 04:43:53 AM »

man, just put Vampire in, and play it! smile  Sounds like you need a break from HL2,  and Vampire TMB would be a nice diversion.  Play it till you inevitably get bored with it, then go back to HL2. (note: i say inevitably, because I know the type of gamer you are smile )  

I kinda used to be that way, starting many, finishing very few. Now I try to finish at least 80% of the games I start, if not more. But I do hop around a lot, playing several games at once. sometimes, I'll play 1/3 through one, set that game aside for a month or more, then come back and finish it. I've set games aside for many months, to come back and finish them later.

One thing I find that helps me finish games is a walkthru/strat guide. It helps me track where I am, and I can mark my progress.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 05:40:52 AM »

I like Vampire more than HL2..
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 05:47:33 AM »

I've played both and Vampire is a much greater system hog.  HL2 has much better performance and allows me to play at much higher settings.  I've also had several sound issues with Vampire and also several crash to desktops.  

But that being said, Vampire is also a lot slow paced and the combat almost feels turn-based, so the performance issue is not the problem it would be if it were a twitch-shooter.

Vampire has a much stronger storyline and much better character building, but the slow pace can cause the game to drag some and I would actually suggest just alternating between the two.  They really are two completely different games and playing both at the same time could give a change of pace that would avoid boredom.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 06:07:21 AM »

They really aren't similar at all.  The only way you know that Vampire is using Source engine is the outstanding character models.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 07:12:45 AM »

Well I'm off to a bad start.
Getting a "out of range" error at startup.
Off to surf for an answer.
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 06:56:57 PM »

Make sure you have a driver for your monitor.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 08:01:23 PM »

Yea, that was it.
I updated the driver for my video card and all is well.
I kept ignoring the popup when starting HL2 that told me my driver was outdated. Never had any problem with HL2 running, so I thought I would be o.k. with Vampire. There are some minor graphical glitches in Vampire, but nothing game-stopping so far. My original concern was that both games were gonna be FPS. But so far Vampires seems different enough from HL2 that I should be able to play both at the same time, without fear of burning out on either one.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 09:10:04 PM »

I used to have gaming ADD as well, but it seems to have dropped off drastically in the last year or so. I've beaten almost every game I've bought for a long while now. Something I could have never said two years ago.

There was a time when I had a PS2 and probably 40 games for it just lying around.. maybe 5 of which I had actually finished.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 10:31:20 PM »

I think Vampire could be a more interesting game than HL2 after patching.  Unfortuantely, Vampire's pretty laggy/buggy.  Troika duped me again.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 11:33:18 PM »

Man..wtf is the deal with sites not having forums for their games?
I freakin hate having to find other sites to get support for games.
Is this just their way to avoid having to deal with potential problems or what? I should be able to go to a publishers site and talk and get info about THEIR games. I am thankful for places like this to come to, cause I did find a link to a Vampires site(dilapidation), but come on....whats the deal.

Yea that's right Troika... I'm looking at you, boy.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 03:50:12 AM »

best way to avoid getting bored by a game (and actually get to completion) is to play two games at once.  I generally like to have one rpg or rts, and one fps.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 01:51:19 PM »

Unofficial Vampire Patch
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 04:05:38 PM »

Once again, it takes a fricking fan patch to make a Troika game playable.  

This is Troika's strike three for me.  I'm not buying another one of their games ever again.   I finished Vampire: Bloodlines despite the crappy performance, quest bugs, graphics errors, system slowdown, and the final third of the game being COMPLETELY different from the rest of the game.  It wasn't worth it, but it COULD have been.

Meanwhile, I'm about 3 hours in to Half Life 2 and absolutely loving it.  It's better technically, has better pacing and has a more involving story.  Half life 2 wins, hands down, IMO.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 05:32:49 PM »

I have to agree with noun on this one. I read through that fan-made patch thread and the fixes they are correcting are standard Q&A fixes, not to mention some things that should have been taken care of before it even went into Q&A. What the hell is Troika doing in that regard? Sitting on their tails apparently. This guy has patched/fixed so many things in just the last week and put out update after update I would be insulted that Troika was just sitting on their hands. Again.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 05:46:08 PM »

From what I had heard, I was under the impression that development on Bloodlines had wrapped up months ago and they were just sitting around waiting for Half-Life 2 to ship so they could finally release it.  Based on the number of bugs that shipped with Bloodlines, I *have* to assume that I heard wrong....

-Autistic Angel
Incendiary Lemon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 08:33:35 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
From what I had heard, I was under the impression that development on Bloodlines had wrapped up months ago and they were just sitting around waiting for Half-Life 2 to ship so they could finally release it.  Based on the number of bugs that shipped with Bloodlines, I *have* to assume that I heard wrong....

-Autistic Angel

Rumour apparently, they wrapped development at the very end of October.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »

I wonder what Troika's excuse this time will be for releasing another buggy title?  Not that their lame reasons for the problems with TOEE were all that convincing.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: