http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2: Upgrade Retail Version?  (Read 1185 times)
NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:56:05 PM »

I plan to purchase HL2 retail, to take advantage of some Best Buy gift card money.

I was looking at the versions offered on Steam and I've decided that the silver edition looks pretty good, I'd like to have access to HL1 source.

So what edition is the boxed copy? I assume the standard bronze edition. If this is the case, will I be able to purchase HL1 source for a discounted price?
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 03:23:24 PM »

This is a good question, and I was wondering too if I could upgrade my Steam Bronze, to Steam Silver. I regret not spending the extra $10 for DoD and HL1... d'oh!

jeff = dummy
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:36:19 PM »

Yes, great question?  Does anyone know?  Right now I am planning to just buy the basic retail box, but it would be nice to have the upgrade option in case I ever want to play DOD or check out HL:Source, etc.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »

The last I saw on the Steam forums was a hearty 'Good idea, maybe later'.  My advice would be to hold off on anything at least until DOD:S is out, there will probably be some word then.

NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 04:57:12 PM »

so there's no way to get Half Life 1: Source

That's a really bad business decision on Valve's part.  

if retail=bronze than I should be able to give them my $10 to get the silver upgrades.

*sigh*
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:26:34 PM »

there's not much difference from the regular edition of hl1 and hl1 source.  Not everything has been converted.  You still have the same textures, but they have upgraded the water, and the walls are shiny.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 05:39:15 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
there's not much difference from the regular edition of hl1 and hl1 source.  Not everything has been converted.  You still have the same textures, but they have upgraded the water, and the walls are shiny.

The mod community is already working to replace every texture in the game though. Go modders, go!

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 06:04:24 PM »

I don't want to be the one to make the decision for you, but I thought I read somewhere that you'd be able to pay a little more for the things like DoD: Source and HL1: Source. I may, however, be mixing this up with the ablility to upgrad an ATI voucher.

Whether I'm right or wrong, I've still got to think that Valve would allow you to buy DoD - it just means more money for them.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 06:08:18 PM »

After some thought, my best logical guess is this: You will eventually be able to purchase the other goodies via Steam, probably in various combinations (going on the history of the umpteen different HL packs that were released), but it will end up costing you a little more total than if you had just gotten the Silver package in the first place.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 06:27:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Quote from: "naednek"

The mod community is already working to replace every texture in the game though. Go modders, go!

Linkage, por favor? smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: