http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 10:41:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 - Story discussion (Spoilers, but not done game yet)  (Read 1279 times)
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:53:09 PM »

I'm at Ravenholme now.  What an awesome level.

Anyway, I wanted to discuss the story, or possible story, up to this point.  Now I'm sure someone who has gotten further will chime into this thread to give more details, so everyone be careful of spoilers, even me.  smile

However, up to this point in Ravenholme, I have a couple of feelings:

1.  Gordon Freeman himself doesn't know what's going on.  With the strange intro to the game (G-Man standing amidst streaking stars talking about waking up), I believe that:
2.  Gordon somehow was time warped between HL1 and HL2.  I have a feeling that for him, mere minutes passed between the two events.
3.  I believe that as the player is discovering new backstory, so is Gordon.
4.  When you first get to meet Vance, he says something to the effect of "You haven't changed at all, Gordon.  How do you do it?"

So does anyone have any other theories?

Note, this thread is more for people who haven't finished the game yet.  If you have, and know the whole story, please don't spoil it entirely  smile
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:18:38 PM »

Well the picture Vance brought with him out of Black Mesa is of him his wife and Alyx, and Alyx is a baby in the photo. SoI'd guess it's been 20 years or so since the first game and the implication from the beginning of the game is that Gordon has been in suspended animation the entire time.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 08:30:58 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Well the picture Vance brought with him out of Black Mesa is of him his wife and Alyx, and Alyx is a baby in the photo. SoI'd guess it's been 20 years or so since the first game and the implication from the beginning of the game is that Gordon has been in suspended animation the entire time.

That's exactly what I thought. I saw that picture and just stared for a minute before verbalizing, "How much time has passed?"

I'm dying to know what has happened and more specifically why and how. I'm past Ravenholm a ways and thus far I haven't received any more answers, but a few things I've learned have shed some light on the world. If the entire game keeps with this tone I'm going to be really annoyed, but I'm still curious. One word of warning: Beware the Ant Lions. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 09:40:17 PM »

I think the real question... the one that will make everything clear... is who is Gman (and thereby Gordon) really working for?

It's hard to tell if he's trying to protect the earth, or if he's playing a larger game and just his current goal involves bring down the Combine.

I wonder if there's more to Gordon too...  I mean, who knows what his background really is. All we know is he just keeps appearing in these random situations he has to fight his way out of... but always for the gain of Gman.

Is Gordon even really a scientist or just placed there.  If you recall at the beginning of HL1 in the intro it states his "Administrative Reference" or something like that was "Classified".  Maybe he's just some sort of sleeper agent they unthaw and throw into places to get the job done.

Also something I picked up on in HL2's intro is they show some of those... I'm not sure what to call them... transport cages? from the Citadel are in the intro scene.  Not sure if that's foreshadowing or they are trying to say Gordon has seen those somewhere before, but I thought it was interesting.

I could go on for hours... I love talking about this kind of stuff. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 10:04:17 PM »

I believe that the G-Man is a neutral third party observer that's masquerading as human. Hell, just listen to his voice and it's obvious that he's human in appearance only. smile I can't wait to see how all this shakes out, but this game is so damn big that I've no idea when we'll get some answers. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »

I agree he's probably not human.

So far as aliens go we have Zen and the Combine.  Zen seems to have sided with the humans, which makes me think Gman is helping protect the earth, but who knows for what reason.  I assume that much since he implied at the end of HL that whoever he was representing was in control of Zen.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:31:17 PM »

I have beaten the game.

I have no spoilers for you except one statement:

Although you guys haven't beaten the game, it sounds like you have.

My lack of spoilers for you should speak volumes.

Bring on HL3.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 12:04:26 AM »

i mean this two ways:  Damn, it's a trilogy?!  

so, on one hand, we have more to look forward to, and on the other, we have more time to wait until the story is done.  at least we don't have to worry that hl3 won't or couldn't be made, ala freespace 3.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 12:51:42 AM »

In the train I kept expecting the gman to say wake up mr. anderson.........

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 02:31:51 AM »

the entire game keeps with this tone I'm going to be really annoyed

Try to just enjoy the gameplay then smile  There is always a Half Life 3 / Expansion pack to give the answers.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Storm Crow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 06:43:36 AM »

Does anyone else get the feeling that the G-man keeps Gordon in a glass box that has "Break in case of alien invasion" written on it?  Tongue  :lol:

Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 07:03:09 AM »

Quote from: "Storm Crow"
Does anyone else get the feeling that the G-man keeps Gordon in a glass box that has "Break in case of alien invasion" written on it?  Tongue  :lol:

Well, it sure beats saying "Void in Utah." slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: