http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:19:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 - sound stutter problem officially recognized  (Read 5347 times)
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2004, 03:20:31 PM »

You can tell if you are updated if the convar "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware" is present.

So says a Valve guy on Shacknews.

Present where?  Where am I supposed to look for this and/or type it in??
walTer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2004, 05:45:53 PM »

ugh, after the patch my stutter issue increased exponentially...

Fortunately it only occurs when I choose "save" and then after I choose ok... the game kind of freezes/stutters for a good 30 seconds now.

I have a tendancy to save often and this really breaks the the mood.

I installed the undo but it didn't seem to help.

Anyone else get the massive stuttering during the save game function?

Oddly, that is the only time I get it so that is really not so bad... but it is still pretty annoying.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2004, 04:53:12 AM »

Yes, you type it at the console command prompt by pressing the ~ key.  At first the ~ wouldn't bring up the console command prompt.  You have to enable the ~ button in the menu.  If my memory serves me well it is in the menu for keyboard settings under advanced.  If I'm wrong, just look through the menu options and you will find it.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2004, 02:40:27 PM »

Yup, you enable it under the Advanced properties. You can also put it (and anything else you want to override) in an 'autoexec.cfg' file, from what I understand.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »

I had the game working flawlessly before they released the patch, now it stutters again.  It just pisses me off because it wasn't doing it hardly at all BEFORE they tried to fix it.  Using the console command reduces it quite a bit, but not entirely.

Just out of curiosity, what AGP aperture size are you guys running at?  I have mine set to 256MB for a 128MB card and it seems to run the game much better.

Glycerine

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2004, 04:56:40 PM »

Can anyone give a primer on this AGP aperture stuff?  I know you set it in BIOS, but is there a standard?  Is the default usually the same as the card's memory?  Can the aperture size be larger than the card's memory?  Is there an obvious downside to increasing/decreasing it?

Just not really sure of the context for futzing around with this...
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2004, 09:06:31 PM »

Do you have to type that in each time you play or does it stick?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2004, 08:36:01 PM »

Can anyone give a primer on this AGP aperture stuff? I know you set it in BIOS, but is there a standard? Is the default usually the same as the card's memory? Can the aperture size be larger than the card's memory? Is there an obvious downside to increasing/decreasing it?

I used to have a problem setting my AGP Aperture size to anything more than half of the amount of my system memory -- my computer would lock up within a few minutes of playing any 3D game.  That was a while back, though, and now that I have a gigabyte of RAM, I just set my AGP Aperture to the maximum my BIOS allows and left it there.

Yes, your AGP Aperture can be larger than the amount of RAM on your graphics card -- the setting indicates how much *system* memory can potentially be shared to supplement the video memory.  I think a good rule of thumb is to set your AGP Aperture size to half the amount of your current system memory since you want to be sure to keep *some* RAM available at all times for non-video-card purposes, but you can experiment with higher settings if you like.

-Autistic Angel
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2004, 09:04:20 PM »

I'm running much smoother now, so apparently the pile of Steam updated me. But how do I know? I don't see a version # anywhere.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2004, 11:44:34 PM »

I only started getting the stuttering problem bad after the patch.  I put the "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0" in a autoexec.cfg file and it's much better.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2004, 03:30:31 PM »

Well, I set HL2 aside for about a week and a half.  When I came back, all my stuttering was gone.  So that's happy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: