http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:17:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Pre-load. Crackable or No?  (Read 1926 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »

Alright gang, now that HL2 has been completely pre-loaded, I was thinking whether it would be cracked between now and Nov. 16. Since I've not pre-loaded I don't know what files and such are on everyone's computers, but I wondered how Valve would "activate" the game. Will they send out an activation key, will it be two or three files that will unlock the game, or will it be something else? And in the interim, what success do you think the haxx0rs might have in cracking into it early? Thoughts? Opinions?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:56:42 PM »

I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but I tend to think that you don't have the complete game until the release. On that day, the .exe or some other required component will be downloaded along with some possible decryption. If you don't have an executable..you can't hack anything.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 07:01:58 PM »

Hopefully not. I thought the whole Halo 2 beta thing was a big hoohah over nothing, as you couldn't play on Live, needed a modded XBox and to top it all off was in French. If HL 2 is warezed (that the right word?), it will effect sales. I want Half Life 2 to be an amazing game, and the biggest success that the PC has ever seen.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:23:31 PM »

And I agree. I'm just wondering what else would be needed if the game is technically already out there. This isn't a "hey if you find a crack then post a link here" thread, I'm just curious what all is installed now, whether it's something the haxx0rs t00lz can get in to, and if there might be a seventh and final pre-load on Sept. 30.... uh, I mean Nov. 16. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 07:34:15 PM »

All they would have to keep out would be the main .exe file to keep it from being played.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 07:34:59 PM »

I know some of the files, textures, etc, are encrypted (probably very strongly), and I doubt seriously the exe is on the HD at this time.

Plus it's been a few days, and nothing, and usually the hackers would have it done by now.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 07:50:57 PM »

An incredibly simple way to make it somewhat un-crackable is to check some MD5 hashes of files that are not 100% downloaded yet.

Let's say there are 10 hashes to check.  I'd send 99.5% of each of those files to you.  You still can't play the game because it's statistically improbable that you'd be able to make a workable file with the same hash.  You'd either have the right hash and a corrupted file, or a playable file (maybe with graphical/sound glitches or something) with a bad hash.

Doing more than one just adds to the complexity of you not being able to play.

So on Nov 6 I send the rest of the files to you, check the hashes, and off you go!

It's probably a combo of a few of the things mentioned here.  Not giving out the .exe might work, except I thought that was part of what was stolen.  In that case they might be able to use the content already provided.  I could be wrong, though.

PS, it doesn't even matter if you know the hashes ahead of time.  MD5 is a file verifier, not a file encryption tool.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:04:26 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Hopefully not. I thought the whole Halo 2 beta thing was a big hoohah over nothing, as you couldn't play on Live, needed a modded XBox and to top it all off was in French. If HL 2 is warezed (that the right word?), it will effect sales. I want Half Life 2 to be an amazing game, and the biggest success that the PC has ever seen.

Half life 2 will be pirated period. it is such a high profile game that probably all of the warez groups will be out there trying to be the first to crack it. Will it affect sales, yes, but studies have shown that out of 5,000 dled copies, only 1 sale is lost (if i recall correctly, it was something like that). The bigger loss of sales is from the big factories in places like china that will be cranking out 10s of thousands of bootleg copies.

Half life 2 will almost certainly make record sales though. It is simply too high profile of a game to not, even if it turns out to suck (something reviews show is not likely).

oh and i thought the whole halo 2 being leaked situation was funny. how do people even leak it? you would think that leaking a program like this early would cost the person their job and a lawsuit, but then if that was the case, a reasonable person would not have leaked it in return for basically nothing... so it is logical to think that the leaker thinks that they will not be caught which is insane. After the whole half life 2 thing companies should have became a little more secure :roll:
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 08:21:01 PM »

Quote from: "Falator"

oh and i thought the whole halo 2 being leaked situation was funny. how do people even leak it? you would think that leaking a program like this early would cost the person their job and a lawsuit, but then if that was the case, a reasonable person would not have leaked it in return for basically nothing... so it is logical to think that the leaker thinks that they will not be caught which is insane. After the whole half life 2 thing companies should have became a little more secure :roll:

They get leaked at different levels. These warez groups take their shit pretty seriously, and they have "operatives" working at places like the disc pressing plants. I don't imagine it'd be that hard to get it out, if you worked at the right place.

Jeff Green (of CGW) was saying over at QT3 that in order to review HL2 before press-time, the reviewer would have to fly in to Valve's HQ, and would have 2 days to review the game on the premises. They won't let a single copy out before it's go time.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:37:11 PM »

Considering Valve's track record for security I am suprised it isn't leaked already!  Tongue

Stolen code, accidentally uploaded dialogue, etc.  

I bet their parking lot is full of unlocked cars.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 10:12:18 PM »

Regardless of what the game companies say, warez does not really affect the overall sales. Look at Doom3, that was warezed and still sold a ton of copies. People who warez generally fall into 1 of 3 catagories.
A) People who wouldn;t buy it anyway. Cheap bastards, or people who feel they are "sticking it to the man".
B) People who will buy it/pre-ordered it, but since warez are generally out before the actual release, want to play now. (I still find it amazing when some products are warezed MONTHS before release..)
C) Collectors. These people just want everything regardless of it they will use it or not. I know what this is like somewhat, because everytime I clean my PC/console area I find games that were never opened...

HL2 will be warezed, probably before the official release. Also while there may be missing files on the version DLed from Steam, they may be able to combine it with the hacked version leaked last year. However, it will most likely come from the processing plant link Halo2 did. (Unless they decide on some serious security in the plant. IE: daily strip searches and/or all employees must work in the nude, in which case if one copy does manage to leave I doubt anyone would want to touch it to hack it....)

I hope it's warezed tommorrow and Valve says screw it and unlocks my steam copy anyway.. smile
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 11:22:46 PM »

Will it affect sales, yes, but studies have shown that out of 5,000 dled copies, only 1 sale is lost (if i recall correctly, it was something like that).

Right... and I have some seafront property in Nebraska that you might be interested in.
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 05:15:03 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Will it affect sales, yes, but studies have shown that out of 5,000 dled copies, only 1 sale is lost (if i recall correctly, it was something like that).

Right... and I have some seafront property in Nebraska that you might be interested in.

that figure may be a bit too high if you only count a single game, but when you look at the overall picture, it is probably correct.

I really doubt half life will lose many sales to piracy. Most of the gamers who know how to get pirated programs are almost certainly more interested in multiplayer than singleplayer, and chances are that multiplayer will not work in the pirated version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: