http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 04:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Offline Mode -* First Post Edit *-  (Read 7180 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 11:25:11 PM »

Quote from: "Animus"
Farley, are you installing Counterstrike too?

On my 3rd attempt - yes I am.  If that works I will amazed.  It gives an error that "hl2.ico" couldn't be found in a cab file when it does crash so I don't think it has anything to do with what I have chosen to install but what the heck.  It is easier and faster than running to Target to return the game.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2004, 11:26:40 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
Haha.  Gotta love this little blurb from valves website concerning Steam:

Steam consumers enjoy the benefit of starting their favorite applications within minutes of confirming their purchase.

They forgot to put the little asterisk and the fine print explaining that it doesn't apply on the day of purchase due to their complete lack of foresight and ineptitude.

Someone should be fired over this mess.

I am sure it will be the same person fired over the botched "sept 30th 2003" release date, or the lack of security that allowed code to be stolen - meaning no one.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2004, 11:31:19 PM »

Hey guys, the work day is almost over here is California.  Are people still having trouble with authentication?  Is there a chance that I'll be able to play this game tonight?

Also, with 5 discs, how long is the damn install?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2004, 11:37:42 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
Hey guys, the work day is almost over here is California.  Are people still having trouble with authentication?  Is there a chance that I'll be able to play this game tonight?

Also, with 5 discs, how long is the damn install?

The install is actually fairly quick but I bet it depends on your CD-ROM speed because I think it is just basically copying the files from the CD to your HD.  

Now as for logging in....well it is still down as far as I can tell or at least really , really slow.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2004, 11:38:48 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Animus"
Farley, are you installing Counterstrike too?

On my 3rd attempt - yes I am.  If that works I will amazed.  It gives an error that "hl2.ico" couldn't be found in a cab file when it does crash so I don't think it has anything to do with what I have chosen to install but what the heck.  It is easier and faster than running to Target to return the game.

I don't know if it was letting it install Counterstrike or installing from the Alcohol images but I finally got it installed....now I just wait for Steam.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2004, 11:44:48 PM »

Well I have Steam installed already, I did that last night just to be safe.  I hope the authentication servers are not down when I get home in two hours, but it certainly looks like that will be the case.  Well that sucks...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2004, 11:49:06 PM »

Dear God the world has ended.  I'm currcntly connected to steam...

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2004, 11:51:08 PM »

My anger is slowly dying.  I am getting there, but man is it slow.

I will decide soon how pissed to be.

I got a message that my cd-key couldn't be verified or some such because the servers are too busy, but that I could still play Half-Life 2 retail....now it is unlocking the files.  If that is true and I can still play I will be fine but if I can't play I think it goes back.

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2004, 11:53:51 PM »

Hmm, it just keeps saying my cd key is invalid.  I can't get past that step.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2004, 11:54:10 PM »

So forcing legal owners who have dial up off is somehow a good solution?

No it's not. MOre servers is a good solution.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2004, 11:56:38 PM »

Has anyone actually played today?  Is it only the people who have played early in the morning?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2004, 11:56:48 PM »

FINALLY GOT IT TO VALIDATE YSAY AYY DA:LJKEHgl;kwrhegqulaer 978q38yu3q5ulkearlguhqe5poyt8q3 hlb;yjn3 alajerhg b  BYE BYE!!!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2004, 11:57:39 PM »

I got a message that my cd-key couldn't be verified or some such because the servers are too busy, but that I could still play Half-Life 2 retail....now it is unlocking the files.  If that is true and I can still play I will be fine but if I can't play I think it goes back.

VERY glad to hear it, farley. Please guys, i'm not saying don't vent, I know I'd be pissed as hell too if I couldn't play, but what I am saying is that once you get connected ONCE... you're done. you're authenticated, and then it's go time.

And to those who haven't been able to get authenticated yet... trust me... IT'S WORTH THE WAIT. The game is truly awesome.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2004, 11:58:34 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

VERY glad to hear it, farley. Please guys, i'm not saying don't vent, I know I'd be pissed as hell too if I couldn't play, but what I am saying is that once you get connected ONCE... you're done. you're authenticated, and then it's go time.

And to those who haven't been able to get authenticated yet... trust me... IT'S WORTH THE WAIT. The game is truly awesome.

I've read that you need to be connected to Steam every time you play...are you saying that you don't?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »

Great.. I'm screwed as apparently I have an invalid cd key.  I have re-entered it 10 times now.  Its exactly correct.  And its still keeps coming up invalid.  It says to enter it in a specific format (the "1111-22222-3333-AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE).  Thing is, my key doesn't match that format exactly.  EG, my first section, the 1111, is 5 digits, not 4.  My last section is 8 digits.  Is this how yours are also?

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2004, 12:12:39 AM »

They had an enormous number of servers and bandwith.  I used to work at one of the 40 or so largest web sites on the internet, and we didn't come close to the amount of bandwith they were using this morning.

So yeah, it sucks, but it isn't as if they were trying to run this off of their desktop or anything.

Once it's unlocked, the game is remarkably problem free.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »

I've read that you need to be connected to Steam every time you play...are you saying that you don't?

err.. I may have to eat crow here. I could swear that I read you only need to authenticate once.  I just exited from Steam, and tried to load the game, and it did NOT work.

I went to steam's help pages, and there's a FAQ entry on "how to enable offline mode", but it involves messing with files and disabling your NIC card in network neighborhood. WTF?

this could change my tune in a hurry. It will work offline, so if your internet connection were to go out, you can play, but otherwise, if you're online, it wants Steam to be enabled and logged in.

Luckily, i restarted Steam, and it connected right away (schew!)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2004, 12:34:05 AM »

Well it's just about time for work to end, so hopefully after the 5 disc install (!!!) I'll just be able to start up Steam with no problems and authenticate.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2004, 12:35:39 AM »

I would guess that simply unplugging your network cable or blocking Steam with zone Alarm would accomplish the same thing and activate offline mode. Just a theory that I'm not going to test-I'm just going to stay logged into Steam to avoid even the possibility of a problem

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2004, 12:43:19 AM »

Well this is fucking stupid. I can't even try to enter an account name now (It just crashes and doesn't respond), Steam Forums are down, and Ive given up being a good consumer. Time to return my copy, and pirate my own that I can actually play! I feel bad, but not really at this point.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2004, 12:47:10 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
Great.. I'm screwed as apparently I have an invalid cd key.  I have re-entered it 10 times now.  Its exactly correct.  And its still keeps coming up invalid.  It says to enter it in a specific format (the "1111-22222-3333-AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE).  Thing is, my key doesn't match that format exactly.  EG, my first section, the 1111, is 5 digits, not 4.  My last section is 8 digits.  Is this how yours are also?

don't put in the last 8 digits, its not part of the key
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2004, 12:48:04 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
I would guess that simply unplugging your network cable or blocking Steam with zone Alarm would accomplish the same thing and activate offline mode. Just a theory that I'm not going to test-I'm just going to stay logged into Steam to avoid even the possibility of a problem

Your theory is correct, according to STeam's help entry on that subject.  They recommend backing up some file first, and to make sure your copy is "Offline ready".

From the steam menu, right-click on Half Life 2, choose properties, and make sure Offline Mode says 'Ready'.

It also says that if you're offline, you may have to wait up to 90 seconds for it to respond and recognize you're offline :roll:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2004, 12:49:27 AM »

Wow you guys deserve a whole wheel of cheese with that whine. The game worked fine for a huge number of people. For some it didn't, for some its taking a long time. The box says internet connection required to play. You knew what the activation scheme was. It is a shame some of you are still struggling, and for the future I am sure they will improve upon this, but this may well be the future of game distribution as we know it-I would like to give it a chance-but we knew from posts in the past few days that some of you were never prepared to give it a try.

Edited out my bad language-tired.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2004, 01:05:27 AM »

This Steam shit sucks. I know where they get the name from. Its designed to steam your ass.

I'll deal with it because we are talking about HL2, but imagine if all games made you jump through hoops like this. I'd have 45 extra icons on my system tray.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2004, 01:11:33 AM »

Well I finally got in.  It takes forever if you are lucky enough to get it to work.

What a stupid, stupid way to do this.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2004, 01:14:40 AM »

Has anyone actually played today?  Is it only the people who have played early in the morning?

Yep - I played this morning (56k), a bit around noon at work (T1), and when I got home (again, 56k).  Absolutely no problems.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2004, 01:24:07 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Wow you guys deserve a whole wheel of cheese with that whine. The game worked fine for a huge number of people. For some it didn't, for some its taking a long time. The box says internet connection required to play. You knew what the activation scheme was. It is a shame some of you are still struggling, and for the future I am sure they will improve upon this, but this may well be the future of game distribution as we know it-I would like to give it a chance-but we knew from posts in the past few days that some of you were never prepared to give it a try.

Edited out my bad language-tired.

Well I for one was more than willing to give it a try.  I feel it sucked.  It took twice as long to get working as any normal game (even without my cd read errors) and I see no benefit.

For all the talk about how it will stop piates I will eat my keyboard if it isn't hacked by the weekend.

It is a money making scheme by Valve...fine but it seems to be hurting legitimate consumers just like the copy protection methods used by so many games.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2004, 01:30:29 AM »

Why are PC games one of (if not the only) medium, where the consumers are expected to be patient, expect problems etc....

If you buy a new car, music CD movie, etc.. You expect it to work...

My Steam IS working since I went the steam route a while ago, but I get upset when people say the complaints are whining and what do you expect and etc....

I expect that the product I paid for works! My money is gone. Most stores won't take opened returns for games with cdkeys/activation (They "may" exchange the discs themselves, but that wouldn't help in this case anyway.) Yes you can return it to the developer or distributer, but they made sure they got my money right away, why should I have to wait to get it back? They didn't let me pay later did they?

None of us should have to expect problems with a game, be it MMO or single player or whatever.... As was mentioned before it's a hobby and they are supposed to be fun, not frustrating....

I hope the problems are fixed tommorrow though when my new system is ready....
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2004, 01:42:38 AM »

From Steam's website:

Authentication Delays Resolved
November 16, 2004, 5:46 pm ยท valve

We have resolved the issues that caused some to experience delays with Half-Life 2 authentication earlier today. We appreciate your patience and hope everyone enjoys the game.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2004, 01:49:52 AM »

Since my copy crapped out on the 4th fucking disk just now I think I will keep posing my hate in this thread !

:twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:

POS.  

I am sure that if this problem becomes a known one Valve will nicely put out a message on their server saying that it was all VUs fault and that Valve didn't have anything to do with the production of the game.

When you installed it did you happen to deselect CS: Source?? If so there is a known problem in the retail non collectors edition install that causes an install error if CS: Source isn't selected.

-Tony
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2004, 01:55:52 AM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"

When you installed it did you happen to deselect CS: Source?? If so there is a known problem in the retail non collectors edition install that causes an install error if CS: Source isn't selected.

-Tony

You are completly correct.  I was trying to install without the Counterstrike: source.  

Probably my fault for thinking I could install what I wanted.  I should simply have accepted whatever was thrown at me.

Is City 17 actually run by Valve?  They seem to have a similar attitude to giving people what they want. :roll:

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2004, 02:11:31 AM »

I did'nt buy it I did'nt buy it  :lol:  Waiting on WoW or Vampire...or nothing if my money stays gone.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2004, 02:15:13 AM »

Hmmm.

Remember when just this week someone told me I was conspircy nut for questioning what luck they would have on release day when EVERY MMO has problems?

So, presumably, the early bird, maybe 100,000 people each downloading 1 mb of date is going to crash Steam? Come on guys, this conspiracy theory stuff is pretty silly

Are those crickets I hear?

*AHEM*

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2004, 02:46:26 AM »

It worked fine for me, but then again I started at 11AM  ET.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2004, 02:54:35 AM »

Someone give Big Jake a cigar.   Cool

I unlocked around 8:30am and it went fine.  Steam hardly downloaded anything for the unlock and it seems like most of the time was spent decrypting/decompressing files.

I've been able to play at all times during the day.
Dr Blitzkrieg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »

Edited forst post
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2004, 10:04:57 PM »

I got that green popup box that said my subscription couldn't be verified because of server blah blah blah...

My offline play was unlocked. Should I uninstall and reinstall or will I be able to re-verify somehow? I've never received an email from Valve/Steam about this like the popup box promised....

Anyone?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: