http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Offline Mode -* First Post Edit *-  (Read 7091 times)
Dr Blitzkrieg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2004, 07:03:55 PM »

Hi Everyone,

EDIT

Thanks to all for the tips and for everyone else who was/is feeling pissed, I know how you feel!

Just to say first - I logged onto Steam <first go> about an hour ago <18:00 BST 17th Nov> and straight away got a message to say that my 'cd had been registered'. I then did a test offline and I can now play HL2 with no problems <apart from loading times, framerate etc :-)!!>. So a happy ending <until I change my computer maybe!!>.

Now I have cooled off a bit I guess I would just like to say that I do really hope that single players do not have to go through this rigmarole again - one of the posters below mentioned that it would drive people <single players mostly?> away from PCs and I agree.

I would like to say the the main point of aggrevation for me originated in the fact that I do not have Broadband <fast download>. This costs ~£20 a month and I do not want it. Consequently the fact that I had to sit through about 1.5 _hours_ of 'steam update' and 'unlocking files' and 'counterstrike source updates' <I know I may not need the last but I was afraid to not install CSS in-case the 'non standard' install buggerred up HL2 install>. Not only the long wait but the telephone charges too of course. If they insist on online registration one thing - but make it quick and not force you to download stuff that I do not want!!!

Anyway chaps - hope everyone else gets to play HL2 OK soon - it does look like a good game :-)

Russ

END EDIT

I have finally managed to regiseter my HL2 - took for ever dloading around 15 megs at 4K a second :-(

Got message like 'cannot regiseter yet as servers are busy but you can play HL2'.. It then 'unlocked HL2 files' for ever - I was pretty annoyed at this point I can tell you !

The insert with the DVD talks about an offline mode but how do you activate this?

I clicked on HL2 whilst offline and it came up <eventually> with 'offline mode' but when I chose HL2 from the game list it said 'HL2 is not ready to play offline' WTF!!!

Please someone have mercy - I do not want to play online at all - I just want to play my copy of HL2 :-)

Russ
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 07:17:07 PM »

Im with you this is total BS. There severs are getting hammered and I cant even play a game I paid 54 bucks for because of it. Hell give me starforce anyday of this bullshit.

Scott
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:10:27 PM »

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19710

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:14:18 PM »

It only accesses offline mode if you're actually offline.  Start Steam without a network connection, after having successfully logged in before, and it'll try to find one, then start in offline mode, where you can play anything you have all the local files for.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 08:15:01 PM »

I know its a pain in the ass. I'm sorry you aren't able to play right now. But this is brand new to them and I'm sure they didn't expect it to be that bad. They should of known? Maybe but this is new and with all things new there's going to be a few bumps. You will get to play your shiny copy of HL2 soon I'm sure just be patient.

Ascendent
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 08:20:15 PM »

Brand new? How long as Steam been around?

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 08:26:53 PM »

Yes Steam has been around for a while but I can bet its never been hammered like this before. Besides the only games on steam were the CS games nothing as vast as HL2.

Ascendent
telcta
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:28:11 PM »

Well, I'm having fun going through the purchase process right now.  I am buying the Silver package and I waited about 3 minutes as the Purchase bar filled up and then it told me my card was declined.  A few hours later, I get an email thanking me for my purchase and the game will show up in the My Games section (which it isn't).  I sent an email to billing but I have a feeling it will take some time before I can even start downloading.

Now I have to call me CC company and see if anything was charged.  I hope this doesn't turn out to be too much of a hassle.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 08:39:08 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
I know its a pain in the ass. I'm sorry you aren't able to play right now. But this is brand new to them and I'm sure they didn't expect it to be that bad. They should of known? Maybe but this is new and with all things new there's going to be a few bumps. You will get to play your shiny copy of HL2 soon I'm sure just be patient.

Ascendent

Why should I be patient?  They created a system to make themselves more money (by not using VU for distribution) and now the consumer is getting screwed out of playing a game they legally bought.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 08:43:22 PM »

Yes Steam has been around for a while but I can bet its never been hammered like this before. Besides the only games on steam were the CS games nothing as vast as HL2.

Ascendent

And of course this is our fault, just like it is our fault if Starforce doesn't work, or Safedisc, etc.

And people wonder why hackers are so common...

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 08:49:52 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

Ascendent

Why should I be patient?  They created a system to make themselves more money (by not using VU for distribution) and now the consumer is getting screwed out of playing a game they legally bought.

"screwed"?  Look, it's not like they took your money, stuck it in a bag with a big dollar sign on it and are running away twirling the end of their handlebar mustache.  Everyone will be able to play eventually.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 08:58:21 PM »

So, let me get this straight...

They are surprised that so many people are interested in this game.

They were caught totally off-guard that so many people rushed to register today.

Who could have expected that  :roll:

THEY____SHOULD____ HAVE_____ KNOWN

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 09:02:19 PM »

This is nothing more than the same "outrage" that takes place with virtually every MMORPG that's ever launched.  People bought the game, and OMFG THEY CAN"T PLAY IT BECAUSE THE SERVER WON"T WORK WTF OMG!

then 3 hours later, it does, and everyone plays.

*shrug*
telcta
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 09:13:23 PM »

I have no choice but to be patient while I wait to hear from the billing department.  It seems like all parts of Steam is getting hammered, I even had a hard time registering on their forum.

I was going to hold off and buy this later but, damn you kids [shakes fist in air], and your enthusiasm about this game - I got sucked in.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 09:31:57 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
So, let me get this straight...

They are surprised that so many people are interested in this game.

They were caught totally off-guard that so many people rushed to register today.

Who could have expected that  :roll:

THEY____SHOULD____ HAVE_____ KNOWN

Who says they didn't?  The problem is, until you have 100,000 people (or however many) hammering your network simultaneously, **you simply don't know how it's going to perform**.  You plan for it the best you can, but it is impossible to guarantee everything will perform flawlessly.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 09:32:15 PM »

I see I looked pretty insensitive in my previous post. My apologies.  I do feel for those that can't unlock, and wish it wasn't happening, but I just meant that this happens a lot. People just aren't used to it with single player games I guess. I suspect most will be up and running by tonight, though.

good luck to those having troubles.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 09:38:42 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I see I looked pretty insensitive in my previous post. My apologies.  I do feel for those that can't unlock, and wish it wasn't happening, but I just meant that this happens a lot. People just aren't used to it with single player games I guess. I suspect most will be up and running by tonight, though.

good luck to those having troubles.

I think you're right about the single player aspect Jeff. I don't think they will be as patient with this as MMORPGers. It seems very odd to buy a game that you only want to play single-player on your own computer and not be able to -- at all.
What I'm worried about here is that bad first impressions could seriously sour people to buying games online through agencies such as Steam. This could be a real black mark (in many people's minds) to online distribution of games.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 09:53:05 PM »

Sorry, being patient is BS.  This is not a MMO where you know that you are going to have to play in connection with the company's server going in.  My money is good the minute I hand it over to them.  I expect their product to be good the minute they hand it over to me.  The technology for making games work (generally) right out of the box has been around for years.  If they want to experiment with Steam, great, but I expect it to work at least as well as the prior technology.  Especially in this day and age where stores don't let you return software that doesn't work.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »

Sorry, being patient is BS.

Not much choice. You can return the game and demand a refund that'll tell Valve that they screwed up. Though I think they know that, and on such a grand scale *laughs*

I'm really sorry you guys can't play right now. Its not fair and it sucks, sorry.
Hopefully you guys will all be able to play your fill soon.

Ascendent
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »

This is kinda lame. I've been a supporter of STeam for a long time. However, I am starting to lose my patience now. I was reading the impressions of HL2 at work all day from various websites and my excitement is barely containable. I want to play NOW. It's on my HD right now, it's right there, but I can't play it because I can't connect to Steam.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 10:28:17 PM »

Yeah I would be pissed, and you have every right to be.  But hey we already take plenty of shit from publishers and retailers, why not shit from developers too?

olaf
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 10:33:53 PM »

FYI Gamestop has already informed that there are no returns on open HL2 for any reason.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 10:36:11 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Yeah I would be pissed, and you have every right to be.  But hey we already take plenty of shit from publishers and retailers, why not shit from developers too?

olaf

Oh no....this new model will make it so much better.  Those evil lying publishers will never be able to make customer suffer again...

Same shit, different people.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
This is nothing more than the same "outrage" that takes place with virtually every MMORPG that's ever launched.  People bought the game, and OMFG THEY CAN"T PLAY IT BECAUSE THE SERVER WON"T WORK WTF OMG!

then 3 hours later, it does, and everyone plays.

*shrug*

Probably true.  But as someone who only plays single player games I am saddened by the fact that the same crap is now forced down my throat.

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 10:43:34 PM »

Steam:

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 10:44:21 PM »

Serioulsy rather than being a saving grace of PC gaming which some people have seen Steam as I see it as just another nail in the coffin of PC games.

Like the average gamer is going to put up with this shit?  LOL.  Just anotther way that PC gaming alienates gamers.  Make games buggier, make manuals smaller, make boxes smaller, and now to add to the list - make it not just harder but impossible to play the game!  

Yeah this industry is just about to take off!!!

karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 10:52:13 PM »

The excuse that this is the way all MMOG roll out is very unsatisfactory to say the least....Allow me to point out the obvious -  

this isn't a MMOG!

If you make a net distributed/unlocked game ala Steam you'd better damn well make sure that your systems can handle the pressure on release day. If it can't handle the pressure don't do it that way.

First the release date debacle, then the stolen source code, then the early release with no unlock, and now this crap.  

Way to put your best foot forward while you make a grab for the cash Gabe :evil:

As it stands I have a very expensive coaster and nothing but contempt for Valve and Steam.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 10:53:16 PM »

^^^^

Amen!

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 10:54:16 PM »

I still can`t believe anyone who bought HL2 today really didn`t expect the servers to be hammered and have problems with getting it unlocked. If anyone gave me £100 i would in NO way expect it to run smooth as butter. It just wasn`t going to happen.

Sure you bought it and deserve to play it. So did i, got home from work at 6pm GMT and unlocked it, took about 30 mins but tbh i was expecting it not to work due to heavy server demands. If i was that worried about it not working today i wouldn`t have bought it, would have been just as easy to leave it and get it in a weeks time when most had registrered and got it done straight away.

Sometimes some rationalisation HAS to kick in and thin about things logically and think i WONDER how this might affect me and what can i do about it?

2 million pre orders on steam, thousands buying it in shops all over the world, DOH maybe they won`t cope when it`s unlock time, now that will really piss me off so maybe i`ll leave it, but no people(no one in particular by the way as plenty of fourms have users who cant get registered) buy it then end up complaining that they cant get on it.

Maybe we all need to take a deep breath and think before we buy something and if there is going to be that much of an issue if it may not work(eg steam or SF3 etc) we just don`t buy it but wait and see.

Still the game is bloody amazing and i`m well happy with it even if the wife has disappeared off to  bed and hasn`t had me say more than a few sentences to her all night  :twisted:

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 10:55:23 PM »

Since my copy crapped out on the 4th fucking disk just now I think I will keep posing my hate in this thread !

:twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:

POS.  

I am sure that if this problem becomes a known one Valve will nicely put out a message on their server saying that it was all VUs fault and that Valve didn't have anything to do with the production of the game.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 10:58:21 PM »

I'm nearly tempted to dispute the charges on my card now. I really want to play the game, in a bad way, but they should have had more bandwidth and more servers to authenticate. I thought all people had to do was connect once and the game would be unlocked. I didn't know you had to stay online to continue playing. There needs to be some middle ground here. So as long as people are online playing we'll never get in.

Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2004, 11:01:58 PM »

I'm sorry you all can't play the game, I got my game installed at 2:am and unlocked by 3:19, its been smooth sailing since for me. Hope it goes better for you all.

Change is in the wind...
karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2004, 11:02:11 PM »

I'm with Farley...consider the venting something positive.

It is keeping me from making my currently very expensive coaster into a very expensive pile of broken plastic as I wipe my butt with the provided  t-shirt (and blow my nose in the "strategy guide")

Please excuse the following :

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deep breath,

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deep breath,

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, that didn't make me feel better at all...

Where is the beer?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2004, 11:03:47 PM »

I'll say this much.  If this (STEAM and anything similar) become the norm, I'm done with PC gaming.  One game is fine, but having to do this with every game would turn me off completely to this hobby.  A hobby is supposed to deliver satisfaction, not frustration.  And right now I'm extremely frustrated.  The whole concept that the servers are being hammered is a very, very lame excuse.  If they require a customer to participate in a process that is unstable, they have failed that customer.  I'm sure it is a great game; I can't wait to play it.  But this STEAM concept is mighty sh*tty.  Yet another way to punish the honest consumer who does not pirate.  Good going.

DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 11:10:55 PM »

I can't even create a frickin' steam account - keeps crapping out. OH well, back to WoW...
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2004, 11:11:42 PM »

I think the problem isn't with the technology but how many servers they have and the amount of bandwidth available to them. If they had more resources at launch I think it would have gone off more smoothly. As it is though, we're screwed until more people are done unlocking the game. I wonder how many dialup folks are using steam right now; those people need to be logging off.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »

Well I am currently making images with Alcohol 120% because the fucking install craps out on the 4th disk every time!  

I don't know if this will fix it but at least it will fail faster if I don't have to keep putting in the different disks!

Looks like I might get to run back to Target to return this POS!  I swear if they have Vampire out I won't be playing Valve's "masterpiece"

And this is before I even get to the joy of Steam!  Wonderful.  I have a whole night of joy to look forward to!

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
I think the problem isn't with the technology but how many servers they have and the amount of bandwidth available to them. If they had more resources at launch I think it would have gone off more smoothly. As it is though, we're screwed until more people are done unlocking the game. I wonder how many dialup folks are using steam right now; those people need to be logging off.

So forcing legal owners who have dial up off is somehow a good solution?

This is purely and completly Valve's fault.  With the unlocking and the early release you might have been able to blame VU or Best Buy but  this is all Valve's baby.

Animus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »

Farley, are you installing Counterstrike too?
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2004, 11:23:31 PM »

Haha.  Gotta love this little blurb from valves website concerning Steam:

Steam consumers enjoy the benefit of starting their favorite applications within minutes of confirming their purchase.

They forgot to put the little asterisk and the fine print explaining that it doesn't apply on the day of purchase due to their complete lack of foresight and ineptitude.

Someone should be fired over this mess.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: