http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Lost Coast Level is out  (Read 2200 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2005, 02:56:59 AM »

So I downloaded it and . . . . damn, I knew it was gonna be short but it took them a year for that?!?  It took me ten minutes tops, and that was with me stopping to listen to the developer commentary "bubbles".  You could only explore maybe ten percent of what you could see.

As for the HDR, it ran quite fine on my machine, but it seems like a lot of hype for a noticeable, but hardly earthshattering, improvement in lighting.

Oh well, back to Civ 4, and FEAR, and Call of Duty 2, and . . .

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:07:26 AM »

A little thing popped up telling me it wouldn't really run well on my computer...I didn't know this was a sort of tech-demo, I was looking forward to a cool new level, aw well :/

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 04:37:19 AM »

Finished it also. Just abtech demo . I dont have a new vid card so it did'nt even do the HDR stuff for me.

Found the basket to ride down..also found the puzzle they had to remove from the level. Bout it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 04:49:29 AM »

I downloaded it, about to play it in a moment smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:05:56 AM »

Short.  Fun.  Looks sweeeeet!

Makes me want to replay Half-Life 2.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 08:58:25 PM »

In HL2 long coast, Are all the rocks suppose to look like this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/longcoast.jpg

It just looks wrong. I have an ATI x800 with the latest drivers and it says HDR is supported but with it on, its like someone brought back a jungle vine texture from 5 years ago back. Do you people with Nvideo 6800 and 7800 cards see anything different?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »

I've seen a picture of the rocks in a thread on GAF and they don't look like that, Rob.  Maybe there's a conflict with the drivers?

I'm about to boot it up with a Geforce 4 4600ti...I don't have HDR frown frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:23:50 PM »

I had to knock the res down to 720x480, but the lighting is pretty nifty.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
In HL2 long coast, Are all the rocks suppose to look like this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/longcoast.jpg

It just looks wrong. I have an ATI x800 with the latest drivers and it says HDR is supported but with it on, its like someone brought back a jungle vine texture from 5 years ago back. Do you people with Nvideo 6800 and 7800 cards see anything different?

On my 6600GT the rocks look nothing like that.

I really think Valve hates you Rob.   Tongue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »

Prettiest rock eva!

Seriously though, listening to the commentary made me really respect the way these guys make games - and I really want to play through HL2 again!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 10:03:06 PM »

Here is the same place zoomed out.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/longcoast2.jpg

I've read on a few other forums that it might be specifically an x800 pro issue

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 02:33:37 AM »

Here is the same place zoomed out.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/longcoast2.jpg

I've read on a few other forums that it might be specifically an x800 pro issue

I played approximately half of the LC last night and listened to the dev commentaries (these are excellent btw!! Highly recommended). Unfortunately, this is not just an X800, because until I saw you point out that problem Rob, I didn't know that the rocks were not supposed to look like that. I have a 6600GT and mine look like that too frown
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 11:19:15 PM »

I finally played it today and I also noticed the glassy rocks in that one spot with my 6800GT.  The wet sand looked pretty good though.  I am still using older nvidia drivers (66.93) so that might be a factor.

I enjoyed the commentary, and the sun effects really look nice on the water.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
I finally played it today and I also noticed the glassy rocks in that one spot with my 6800GT.  The wet sand looked pretty good though.  I am still using older nvidia drivers (66.93) so that might be a factor.

I enjoyed the commentary, and the sun effects really look nice on the water.

I thought the commentary was really fascinating. I seriously hope full games start coming with this feature, if not that thoroughly than in a limited fashion.

As for the level, I thought it was a ton of fun, looked gorgeous, and goddamn it makes me want to play Half Life 2 again. What a genius game that was.

I did think while playing it how spoiled FEAR and even in a sense Call of Duty 2 has made me with enemy interaction and AI. HL2's AI is good, but a tad behind FEAR, and for the sheer thrill of combat (not to mention sort of the tactical aspects of it), it unfortunately lags quite a bit behind FEAR-no iron sights, no zoom down them, some weapons are very meh, accuracy is hit or miss, etc etc. It just feels looser and less controlled, violent, and real as FEAR. Still, with all that being said, I still can't wait to start it up after I finish a few newer games.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 04:16:24 AM »

Man, I just got done playing this level and the graphics are freakin' incredible. Settings are 1280x1024 with max details on everything, ran around 40-50fps. The water actually manages to look better then it did in regular HL2, which I didn't really think was possible.

I did have one small problem. When I first tried to play it I was using the beta drivers NVidia had released a while back and occassionally the game would freeze for about 10-20 seconds. The sound would stutter and everything. So, I went and checked and there are new official drivers out so I loaded those and the level ran perfectly.

Good show Valve and I can't wait for the first full game to be released with this technology.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 05:55:23 AM »

didn't really see much of a difference except for the over the top blinding lighting effects.  I knew it was supposed to be one level, but man what a dissappointment.  Can't complain, it's free though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 06:41:24 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
didn't really see much of a difference except for the over the top blinding lighting effects.  I knew it was supposed to be one level, but man what a dissappointment.  Can't complain, it's free though.

That's what I thought at first, but then I listened to the commentray and saw the difference in the examples they showed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 03:15:58 PM »

I noticed the flashlight looks a lot better, too.  And they seemed to have fixed the flashlight bug where it would light up a wall or floor panel and then abruptly stop at the seam of the next wall or floor piece instead of lighting it up.

It was just a tech demo, so I wasn't expecting a lot of gameplay.  I think Aftermath is supposed to be a set of real levels?  Maybe we'll get that next October.  Tongue

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 06:45:27 PM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
It was just a tech demo, so I wasn't expecting a lot of gameplay.  I think Aftermath is supposed to be a set of real levels?  Maybe we'll get that next October.  Tongue

I'm starting to wonder about Aftermath.  EA (who is now Valve's official publisher) seems to clearly expect to ship a version of HL2 in mid-November that includes Aftermath, but here we are two weeks out and Valve hasn't even allowed anyone to pre-order the thing on Steam.  The fact that you can't even pre-order makes me wonder if it is still on track for this year or not.

Also, remember that Aftermath is supposed to be pretty short (5 hours?), but at least they are only going to charge $10 or something for it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 08:44:52 PM »

I think it will be out shortly. Valve has learn its lession on flaunting release dates.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 01:35:13 AM »

I think it will be out shortly. Valve has learn its lession on flaunting release dates.

God I hope so. One thing I really really would like (maybe you have heard something about this Rob), is having leaning included in the game, and maybe iron sights/zoom. After playing so many FPS's now with lean and iron sight zoom, I got frustrated without it in the Lost Coast. It made it seem that much more actiony and less tactical. Anyways, I guess that is just a wish list.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 03:01:01 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

I thought the commentary was really fascinating. I seriously hope full games start coming with this feature, if not that thoroughly than in a limited fashion.

The Director's Cut version Chronicles of Riddick had the feature throughout the game once you made it through the first time.  Pretty good and I am still going through them.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 04:03:19 AM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
Quote from: "Calvin"

The Director's Cut version Chronicles of Riddick had the feature throughout the game once you made it through the first time.  Pretty good and I am still going through them.

Thats great man  :  thumbsup That is on my list of replays (finished it on XBox, waiting to play it again on PC), so I look forward to it.

My collectors edition of Call of Duty 2 comes with two missions walkthroughs in movie form on the extras DVD and I am excited to watch those as well. I haven't really looked at my FEAR directors edition special stuff yet, so I am not sure if anything is there or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: