http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 04:02:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Level Help Thread  (Read 10905 times)
Interloper
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2004, 05:27:57 AM »

That spot forced many retries on me also (the prison).  I ended up going into one of the tiny cells nearby and placing all three turrets in there, and I hid in a corner.  Whatever the turrets missed I shot, and luckily they never threw a nade in there.

Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2004, 05:46:29 AM »

Sorry if this was covered guys, but I started seeing spoilers about things I have yet to reach, so I stopped skimming.

SPOILER QUESTION

I am at the dam attached to the 'garage'.  I have slaughtered all who opposed me, but I cannot figure out how I am supposed to get the dam open, as the obvious wheel is shorted out.  I have tried various ways of stacking barrels to try getting above the situation, but it has been fruitless.  What am I missing?

Thanks
Jonathan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2004, 05:53:58 AM »

Jonathon,

Look to your right- you will see some explosive barrels.  Either shoot them or lob a grenade over the fence and watch what happens smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2004, 05:58:02 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
That spot forced many retries on me also (the prison).  I ended up going into one of the tiny cells nearby and placing all three turrets in there, and I hid in a corner.  Whatever the turrets missed I shot, and luckily they never threw a nade in there.

Hardest part of the game for me by a mile.  I tried varioius methods but what ulimately worked for me:

In the room with the med station set up the turrets in each corner so they are facing the opposite doorway.  Placing them in the corner makes it much more difficult for a grenade to get in and topple them.  Then block the turrets off with boxes and barrels to make it difficult for the troops to get to.  Hide in the enclosures you took the turret from- they are reinforced and will protect you from most fire and grenades.  From there just lean out occasionally to assist in taking out the bad guys.  If the barriers you set up get knocked out of the way use the gravity gun to replace them.  Also use the gravity gun to attempt to fling back any grenades the soldiers throw.

Another clever way I read about after the fact- use the boxes and barrels to build a ladder to the second floor.  Take the turret guns up there.  The enemy will have a much harder time knocking down the turrets from the second level.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2004, 06:56:59 AM »

I'm not sure why so many have had problems with the turrets-I got through that on my first attempt. I just set two up on one door and one on the other and took cover in the middle cubicle thingie.  As soon as a turret got knocked down I stepped out, shot the guy that knocked it over, quickly set it back up and stepped back in to cover.

Some other tips I've heard for this spot is that you can drag 2 extra turrets in from the previous point where you knocked them over, and the other tip is that you can carry one around and it will shoot while you're holding it.

Good luck!

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »

I think the best way to do the turret section, and the expected way is to just place the turrets back away from the enemies entrances. If you place two turrets back to back facing opposite ways they have enough space to shoot the guys coming through for the most part. Then just cover one door for yourself and listen for the sound of dropping turrets.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2004, 02:05:50 PM »

I am at the dam attached to the 'garage'. I have slaughtered all who opposed me, but I cannot figure out how I am supposed to get the dam open, as the obvious wheel is shorted out. I have tried various ways of stacking barrels to try getting above the situation, but it has been fruitless. What am I missing?

There is a crane hovering over the damn.  It has two steal beems attatched to it (to your right if you are looking at the wheel).  Those beems happen to be resting on top of a wooden structure which has flamable barrels under neath smile  

I got stuck for a bit there also, don't feel bad.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2004, 02:26:45 PM »

I'm in the prison right now, but I don't think I'm to that section yet.  I'm at the point where there is a turret straight in front of me which I can take out with a grenade, then to the left there are what seems like 3 turrets and a ton of enemy guys behind a force field.  I'm out of grenades by the time I get there though so I'm having a hard time passing that part.  Any tips?

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2004, 02:47:16 PM »

I'm in the prison right now, but I don't think I'm to that section yet. I'm at the point where there is a turret straight in front of me which I can take out with a grenade, then to the left there are what seems like 3 turrets and a ton of enemy guys behind a force field. I'm out of grenades by the time I get there though so I'm having a hard time passing that part. Any tips?

The gravity gun is your best friend as far as grabbing and throwing those turrets...if you decide to go that route.
Otherwise, look along the same wall that the turret you took out with a grenade is on.  There is a vent you can go in.  You should be able to see the plug for the force field when you get to the other side of the field.  Just get rid of that and your bugs will be able to help you again.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2004, 03:35:13 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
I'm in the prison right now, but I don't think I'm to that section yet. I'm at the point where there is a turret straight in front of me which I can take out with a grenade, then to the left there are what seems like 3 turrets and a ton of enemy guys behind a force field. I'm out of grenades by the time I get there though so I'm having a hard time passing that part. Any tips?

The gravity gun is your best friend as far as grabbing and throwing those turrets...if you decide to go that route.
Otherwise, look along the same wall that the turret you took out with a grenade is on.  There is a vent you can go in.  You should be able to see the plug for the force field when you get to the other side of the field.  Just get rid of that and your bugs will be able to help you again.

Awesome and thanks.  I will try it on my lunch break today smile

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »

So I passed the part today during my lunch break.  I'm still in the prison though and I'm not even to the turret section you all are talking about yet.  

thanks for the tip smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2004, 06:18:43 PM »

i don't consider it a cheat to do this, but whenever i got a turret, i dragged it with me to the next area.  at the end of the level, i had 8 of them and they pretty much handled the mess of combine troops that came at me.  

oh, and for that section where you get 3 turrets and have to fend off the rush, i made a few barricades using the desk, barrels, and boxes.  it slows the rush down enough that the combine can't get past too quickly.

there was a desk i took from the upper level that was perfect for this.

lesson to be learned:  the gravity gun is your best friend for defense.

NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2004, 04:26:56 AM »

Final Level:

Spoilers... obviously

I can't figure out how to stop Dr. Breen from teleporting..... anyone help?
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2004, 07:44:43 AM »

Quote from: "NetGuy"
Final Level:

Spoilers... obviously

I can't figure out how to stop Dr. Breen from teleporting..... anyone help?

I guess you mean when you jump up and use the platforms to get to the top?  Grab some energy balls and let fly.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2004, 08:06:51 AM »

Specifically, target the metal plates that are rotating around his sphere.
NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2004, 02:15:55 PM »

got it.... thanks!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2004, 01:34:19 AM »

Mines (Beginning):

I'm at the very start of the mines:  I open the door into a large room with just an explosive barrel, a non-explosive barrel, and a big hole in the floor.  It's too far to just jump down, and quite tricky to try to jump from the horizontal struts to the next one all the way down.  It also doesn't seem like what I'm supposed to be doing to get down, as it's very unlike the rest of the puzzles in the game to this point.

What am I supposed to be doing?

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2004, 03:13:42 AM »

You are supposed to go down the shaft.  Don't jump across from one to the other, just kinda drop down either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2004, 05:37:52 AM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
You are supposed to go down the shaft.  Don't jump across from one to the other, just kinda drop down either clockwise or counterclockwise.

yep...the shaft is the way to go, and it's actually pretty easy if done correctly.  if you look at the beams, each level has a beam that slopes down at stops about halfway along a side...drop off the end of that beam to the one below and you can't miss.

one other word of advice...stay on the lowest beam and take out some of the headcrabs from there.  the room at the bottom is loaded with them, and it's much easier to stay where they can't reach you.  it's actually possible to take them all out before you hit the ground.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2004, 05:13:21 PM »

Cool, thanks.  I think I was thrown off by the barrels and the rope hanging from the ceiling and making more of this than there was.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2004, 06:24:27 PM »

I'm right at the beginning of "Anticitizen 1" and have a question about "Hopper mines"  Do these things serve any purpose other than being a nuisance having to disarm them? They don't appear to go into inventory so carrying one around doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2004, 06:40:42 PM »

I shoot 'em at bad guys with the grav gun... the explode on contact so the can be useful as a grenade type weapon.

Otherwise, no, they are annoying, easy to avoid and seemingly not a very good weapon used by the Combine.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2004, 10:21:51 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
Cool, thanks.  I think I was thrown off by the barrels and the rope hanging from the ceiling and making more of this than there was.

- Don

You can use the grav gun to get the items out of the crates on that side. They have a couple med and suit packs in them.
spatzi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2004, 03:36:03 AM »

Spoiler..............

I'm in the sandtrap level, taking on two gunships at the prison, while my bugs follow me. I cannot take these damn things down. One is bad enough, but two??? (I'm also playing 'hard' level) How many shots does it take? I can't find anymore health and even though I'm running back and forth from the rocket reload bin to the dumpster, I always get wasted. I've even tried throwing bait balls at the gunships so the bugs will go after them and draw fire, but this doesn't help. I've been trying to beat this part for two days now.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2004, 03:58:01 AM »

I think its 2-3 hits on Normal, and its 5-6 hits on hard.  I beat the game on Normal and that level was fairly hard.  I am playing through it on Hard now and I think it is going to be VERY hard when I get to that point.  The best thing to do is to shoot the missle while the gunships are not in site the pop out and hit them with it.  Then go hide while they are shooting at you and come back out again and do it over.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2004, 11:08:41 PM »

Quote from: "spatzi"
Spoiler..............

I'm in the sandtrap level, taking on two gunships at the prison, while my bugs follow me. I cannot take these damn things down. One is bad enough, but two??? (I'm also playing 'hard' level) How many shots does it take? I can't find anymore health and even though I'm running back and forth from the rocket reload bin to the dumpster, I always get wasted. I've even tried throwing bait balls at the gunships so the bugs will go after them and draw fire, but this doesn't help. I've been trying to beat this part for two days now.

What I did was crouch behind the rocket launcher ammo bin... shot, refill, shoot, refill, save game, run for health, save, run to ammo bin, shoot, save and so on and so on....  

It is a very hard level to pass... and most annoying really but fortunately there are only 2 ships.  Save game is your friend here.  

It did take me about 15 tries to get through it.
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2004, 04:55:50 AM »

Ok,  I'm stuck in a room where the Strider in the tunnel chased me. It's pacing back an forth taking pot shots at me through the windows. There are also annoying scanners flashing regularly although they are good for batteries.

I can see no way out of this mess  other than trying to outrun daddy long legs :wink: . I figure I have to go up but the only stairwell is blocked with rubble.

If anybody has a clue as to where I am could you please tell me how to how to get out of this mess.

BTW, this is the Strider section of "follow Freeman".
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2004, 07:50:17 AM »

Quote from: "hohum"
Ok,  I'm stuck in a room where the Strider in the tunnel chased me. It's pacing back an forth taking pot shots at me through the windows. There are also annoying scanners flashing regularly although they are good for batteries.

I can see no way out of this mess  other than trying to outrun daddy long legs :wink: . I figure I have to go up but the only stairwell is blocked with rubble.

If anybody has a clue as to where I am could you please tell me how to how to get out of this mess.

You need to keep moving up the building until you get to the top floor (using fallen beams, etc).  Then go across the top floor until you reach a box of rockets.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2004, 04:01:15 PM »

You know the funniest part? I got almost to the end before I figured out that enough rockets will actually take down a Strider. I figured they were damn near invincible so watching my comrades fight and die alongside me was agonizing. Then I just got pissed off enough to full-on attack them, and just started chucking rockets at them. The cool thing with the laser targeting is you can point up in the sky, fire off the rocket, then spin around and point the tracking beam where you want it to hit. I have so many cool instances of a rocket circling a strider only to snap around and hit it in the back. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2004, 05:13:02 PM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"

You need to keep moving up the building until you get to the top floor (using fallen beams, etc).  Then go across the top floor until you reach a box of rockets.

Uhh..the problem being there are no fallen beams in this room. The only opening is on the left side of the ceiling and is to high to reach. There are no long boards to use as a ramp. The only thing available for stacking are three barrels which still don't reach high enough even if I could jump on top of them which I can't.

Guess I'll just pack it in and wait for a "fly mode cheat".

Thanks anyway!
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2004, 08:34:11 PM »

Uhh..the problem being there are no fallen beams in this room. The only opening is on the left side of the ceiling and is to high to reach. There are no long boards to use as a ramp. The only thing available for stacking are three barrels which still don't reach high enough even if I could jump on top of them which I can't.

Thanks anyway!

If this room has a tv in one corner then I got stuck there as well, however you can't do anyhting here. The route lies elsewhere.
Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2004, 11:02:16 PM »

Best to keep trying till you get it, but if you just cant find your way out then go to Console, The Tilde Key, then type noclip. Its the next best thing to flying.

Change is in the wind...
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2004, 01:00:44 AM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"

Thanks anyway!

If this room has a tv in one corner then I got stuck there as well, however you can't do anyhting here. The route lies elsewhere.

No TV's! Let me see if I can pin point the location.

After shutting down the suppression device, and getting across the rooftop of the bank and down to street level at the bank courtyard. Crossed the bank courtyard, avoiding Strider's as best I could until reaching the street where the rocket ammo was located. I then waisted 4 Striders and proceeded up the street, then  down some stairs until I entered a very long tunnel. About half way down the tunnel was a lone combine solder which I took out with the crossbow. I then started down the tunnel toward the now dead solder. About halfway to him I found myself being chased by a Strider. I ducked into the building next to the fallen combine through a hole in the wall. After a brief skirmish with some combines I go up one flight of stairs and drop two more combines. This floor has a bathroom, a rubble filled stairway and the Strider pacing back and forth in the tunnel taking shots at me through a couple of blown out windows.

The only possible exits I can see is the hole I entered the building which is not an option or the the partially destroyed roof of the second floor.  

It's to high to jump up even with stacked barrels which is all I have to stack.

I think it's time to admit the game is to tough for me. frown
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2004, 01:31:11 AM »

Ok so you are in a trashed building with few walls and a strider going back and forth...

There is a room with rocket ammo --- sadly I cannot say where becuause I just fell into it by accident- I fell and went- OH DAMN look a box of frigging rockets.

You just need to find a space to fall into... but like I said, I only found it by accident.

good luck smile
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2004, 04:50:38 AM »

Duh! Finally got on the roof but the freeking strider handed me my ass doing it. If and or when I find some rockets I'm going to backtrack and make that mofo pay dearly. :wink:
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2004, 05:56:41 AM »

Duh! Finally got on the roof but the freeking strider handed me my ass doing it. If and or when I find some rockets I'm going to backtrack and make that mofo pay dearly. :wink:

The box of rockets is on the other side of the top floor from the place that you come up.  You need to run between cover across beams of the top floor.  You don't have to kill the strider if you don't want to, you can continue on after you drop down the hole into the stairway with the rocket box.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2004, 06:34:17 PM »

Lame ending ! Nuff said!

BTW...is there a way to change the cross hair color?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2004, 07:29:23 PM »

Lame ending ! Nuff said!

See, I disagree...I thought 2 things--

1) thank god it was not like the first ending and

2) DAMN YOU VALVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Then I chuckled, then I cried becuase I know it will take 5 years for HL3.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the ending.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2004, 10:57:27 AM »

I'm now stuck on Anticitizen One.

Spoiler

I'm at the point where you enter this area with some stairs, some of which are blow away to make them unpassable.  There are a few combines above and below you.  The only way I've been able to move is to the bottom, there are some pipes you can jump out on which bring you to a ladder, which you can climb up and get a few supply crates, then you can climb back up the ladder, but not as far as you were when you first came into the room.  I don't know where to go.  The doors appear to be locked and the stairs are blow out where you need to go up.  Help!

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2004, 05:24:34 PM »

There's a door there which has a beam keeping it from opening. Go into the room that's to the side so you can see the beam. Use the grav gun to move the beam out of the way and you can go on.

Took me a while to figure that part out as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: