http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:55:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 Level Help Thread  (Read 10774 times)
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2004, 01:22:46 PM »

Thanks disarm! I'd been over there at least 10 times and never saw the vent. :oops:
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »

I'm stuck in Route Kanal:

After they release a whole bunch of those spinning blade things at you in a rather high room with a 3 story ladder, I can't figure out how to get out.

The bottom level has a bunch of barrels (non-flammable).  There is a sign that says something like 'machinery activates automatically', even though there's no machinery in the room.  If you climb the ladder, you can walk across a pipe to get to the walkway that runs around 2 sides of the room and connects to another room (very small but tall)with a very long ladder leading down to a platform and finally some water.  I smashed a supply box, but can't figure what to do next.  Through the bars I can see another room, but there's no way to get across the bars (no door or smashable grate).

Back in the first room, I can see a duct high up near the pipe I climbed across, but can't jump up to reach it.

I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I've been looking around for about 1/2 hour and I'm not seeing it.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2004, 02:49:26 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I'm stuck in Route Kanal:

After they release a whole bunch of those spinning blade things at you in a rather high room with a 3 story ladder, I can't figure out how to get out.

The bottom level has a bunch of barrels (non-flammable).  There is a sign that says something like 'machinery activates automatically', even though there's no machinery in the room.  If you climb the ladder, you can walk across a pipe to get to the walkway that runs around 2 sides of the room and connects to another room (very small but tall)with a very long ladder leading down to a platform and finally some water.  I smashed a supply box, but can't figure what to do next.  Through the bars I can see another room, but there's no way to get across the bars (no door or smashable grate).

Back in the first room, I can see a high up near the pipe I climbed across, but can't jump up to reach it.

I'm sure the answer is obvious, but I've been looking around for about 1/2 hour and I'm not seeing it.

- Don

There's a valve on the bottom of that tall end of the room that you'll have to drop down to and use. It's hard to see from below.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2004, 03:39:31 PM »

ya like BigRed said, turn on that valve which will flood the other room that will let you reach that duct.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »

Thanks, that did it.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2004, 03:21:30 AM »

On the level "Follow Freeman" I am stuck after the shootout with the striders near the Museum (capitol looking building).  Its the part where you walk out in a tunnel and a strider breaks through the wall behind you.  I made it into a  broken down building with that strider on the loose.  First off I can't kill the strider.  I literally unloaded all the ammo I could find on this level and couldn't bring him down.  Second, where do I go?  I made it to the top of that bombed out building, but couldnt see a way out.  I tried going to the end of both tunnels on the road also.  Anyone help?

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2004, 03:57:01 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
On the level "Follow Freeman" I am stuck after the shootout with the striders near the Museum (capitol looking building).  Its the part where you walk out in a tunnel and a strider breaks through the wall behind you.  I made it into a  broken down building with that strider on the loose.  First off I can't kill the strider.  I literally unloaded all the ammo I could find on this level and couldn't bring him down.  Second, where do I go?  I made it to the top of that bombed out building, but couldnt see a way out.  I tried going to the end of both tunnels on the road also.  Anyone help?

I'm pretty confident there's a rocket box somewhere high up in the building. I believe the strider blows up some pillars that allow access to it. From what I remember.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2004, 06:45:41 AM »

If you're where I'm thinking then yes, there's a rocket box on top of that building.  Are your squaddies telling you to "get to the horse"?

From the top of that building you can see a horse statue down the street. after the strider is killed a section of wall will get destroyed allowing you to head in that direction.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »

On the level "Follow Freeman" I am stuck after the shootout with the striders near the Museum (capitol looking building). Its the part where you walk out in a tunnel and a strider breaks through the wall behind you. I made it into a broken down building with that strider on the loose.

That part drove me nuts, because I never found the rocket box!  Still somehow managed to kill the strider by hurling explosive barrels and using grenades and such.  Easily one of the most frustrating parts of the game though will be less so if I replay it since I know where the rockets are...

Those little drone thingies annoyed me too.
map

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2004, 02:50:04 PM »

i'm at the dune buggy level. i've found plenty of rockets but no rocket launcher. did i miss something?

Save America, shoot your television.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2004, 02:57:20 PM »

Run in the opposite direction of the strider after it busts out from behind you.  You will see a building / door to your left.  Just wind your way through the building (mostly going up and across) and eventually you will come to a box of rockets that are down some stairs.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2004, 03:31:04 PM »

Quote from: "map"
i'm at the dune buggy level. i've found plenty of rockets but no rocket launcher. did i miss something?

SPOIL

It's very much highlighted when you first get a rocket launcher.  A character gives it to you after a scripted dialogue scene.  Not sure if it's possible to proceed without getting to that point.
map

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2004, 04:29:37 PM »

thanks. i'm an idiot. what i thought were rockets were rpgs. i've now been given the rocket launcher. is there suppose to be a manual? because all i got in the box was the quick reference card. so i just never experimented with secondary fire on my own, an d cosequently haven't been launching grenades.

Save America, shoot your television.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2004, 05:28:21 PM »

I'm stuck in the prison...

I've gotten just past the room where (over audio) Breen is criticizing the population for not capturing Freeman, past the laundry room, past the kitchen with the gas leak.  Now I appear to be trapped - I can hear gunfire outside, but all the gates are closed and I can't figure a way out.

Edit: Never mind... not sure how I missed the big gaping hole in the observation room glass.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2004, 06:49:20 PM »

Use the gravity gun against them. And the mansaws make great weapons once you've grabbed one smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2004, 06:58:35 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

Yes in the room there's a valve that will raise the water line above the pipe then you just swim through.  If you get stuck on the next part think about floating boxes.

Ascendent

OK, I too happen to be stuck in what I assume is the same room. I too have blown up the explosive barrels. I've gone up and down a ladder in this room and an adjacent room, both leading to water.

Could you possibly give me a clue as to what this valve looks like?  A wheel or switch or whatever and where it's located. Is it or is it not above water in either room? I'm tearing out what little hair I have left.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2004, 07:13:40 PM »

Quote from: "hohum"
*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

Yes in the room there's a valve that will raise the water line above the pipe then you just swim through.  If you get stuck on the next part think about floating boxes.

Ascendent

OK, I too happen to be stuck in what I assume is the same room. I too have blown up the explosive barrels. I've gone up and down a ladder in this room and an adjacent room, both leading to water.

Could you possibly give me a clue as to what this valve looks like?  A wheel or switch or whatever and where it's located. Is it or is it not above water in either room? I'm tearing out what little hair I have left.

It's above water. If it's the right room you should go to the top of the ladder and look down. Then drop downwards onto pipes and keep dropping till you're right above the water. It looks like a big steering wheel and is red.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2004, 07:21:02 PM »

I didn't see that valve until I had built up some barrels and climbed through the red lit tunnel smile  I was thinking all along that there should be a valve to raise the water someplace but I gave up and built something instead smile  I was slapping myself when I saw there actually was a valve!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2004, 08:21:57 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

Ascendent

It's above water. If it's the right room you should go to the top of the ladder and look down. Then drop downwards onto pipes and keep dropping till you're right above the water. It looks like a big steering wheel and is red.

Thanks Bigredcat!

Unfortunately it appears to be the wrong room. I accessed this room via a vent. A relatively huge rectangular room filled with both explosive an non-explosive barrels. When first entering I was attacked by swarms of Man Hacks.( small bladed fast flying robotic thingies) If this is the way things worked for you, I'll continue the search although I've investigated every nook and cranny these tired old eyes can see.

At this point I'm beginning to think I'm in a dead end. (I know they don't build in dead ends. I'm referring to my intellect.

Thanks anyway!
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2004, 08:25:06 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"

Use the gravity gun against them. And the mansaws make great weapons once you've grabbed one smile

Oh I did.  Their frequency just annoyed me.  Not the manhacks, those other ones that flash white and make a really annoying sound, when you are fighting the strider in the bombed out building.  I started hucking them at the strider in the hopes of doing some damage to it...
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2004, 09:32:08 PM »

At this point I'm beginning to think I'm in a dead end. (I know they don't build in dead ends. I'm referring to my intellect.

I see you can't figure out how to get into the correct room, so let me help smile  The room that you want to get to is to your right after you fall down from the vent.  To get there you need to climb the latter that is to your left then hop onto a pipe that is behind you.  Just follow that pipe until you get up onto the ledge.  You should find the room easily from there and the valve isn't to hard to spot either.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2004, 09:33:38 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
*SPOILER*

*SPOILER*

Ascendent

Thanks Bigredcat!

Unfortunately it appears to be the wrong room. I accessed this room via a vent. A relatively huge rectangular room filled with both explosive an non-explosive barrels. When first entering I was attacked by swarms of Man Hacks.( small bladed fast flying robotic thingies) If this is the way things worked for you, I'll continue the search although I've investigated every nook and cranny these tired old eyes can see.

Thanks anyway!

It's definitely the right room because I just replayed this part. First though, in the big room, you have to jump on that pipe that stretches across the ceiling, then jump over the railing of that ledge near the wall.
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2004, 10:05:57 PM »

Hey BigRedCat and jonsauce, I had done all the things you guys mentioned. My problemo was in finding the correct pipes to descend. I finally found the sucker though. They had well hidden didn't they?

Now I have to figure out how to escape without drowning. :lol:

I sincerely appreciate all the help guys, I truly do.  smile
DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2004, 10:54:25 PM »

I'm stuck at the part where you first get the airboat. The gate sticks when I activate the lever that's supposed to open it. What the hell do I do?

P.S. Do you guys enjoy the puzzle aspects of the game? I know I'm at the very first , but it really screws with the pacing as far as I'm concerned. Maybe my opinion will change. Thanks.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2004, 11:17:17 PM »

I'm stuck at the part where you first get the airboat. The gate sticks when I activate the lever that's supposed to open it. What the hell do I do?

P.S. Do you guys enjoy the puzzle aspects of the game? I know I'm at the very first , but it really screws with the pacing as far as I'm concerned. Maybe my opinion will change. Thanks.

Just hold down the lever until it raises all the way or it will keep falling down.

I did enjoy the puzzle aspects.  It gave me a break from the intense action and I never thought they were to hard.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
DevoutSinner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2004, 12:30:04 AM »

Wow, do I feel like an idiot.  :oops: Thanks though. smile
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »

Don't feel bad : ) It took me a few minutes the first time I encountered it.  I did alot of other dumb things that I won't mention.  Sometimes you just overlook something that seems so obvious once you have someone tell you about it.  Don't worry, we are all human smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
hohum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2004, 12:50:11 AM »

OK, I'm in an area where I'm swatting head crabs & zombies like flies, whilst trying to avoid being electrocuted.  I'm not stuck (as yet) but I have an idle curiosity question.

Am I anywhere near the end of this friggin level? (Route Kanal)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2004, 12:57:20 AM »

OK, I'm in an area where I'm swatting head crabs & zombies like flies, whilst trying to avoid being electrocuted.  I'm not stuck (as yet) but I have an idle curiosity question.

Am I anywhere near the end of this friggin level? (Route Kanal)

Yes, you are very, very close to the end.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2004, 02:22:20 AM »

Oh I did. Their frequency just annoyed me. Not the manhacks, those other ones that flash white and make a really annoying sound, when you are fighting the strider in the bombed out building. I started hucking them at the strider in the hopes of doing some damage to it...

Haha, I did the same thing as I couldn't find the rocket box.  I just grabbed every one of those flash drones and chucked them at the strider.  Didn't do any good though.  I still am trying to find that darn rocket box.

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2004, 02:48:56 AM »

Haha, I did the same thing as I couldn't find the rocket box. I just grabbed every one of those flash drones and chucked them at the strider. Didn't do any good though. I still am trying to find that darn rocket box.

I responded earlier in this thread about where to find them.  Just keep going up the building and eventually you will find some by some stairs.  They are in the upper left hand corner of the building you are in (viewing from where you enter it).

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2004, 04:58:53 AM »

hey guys how do i get the buggy turned back over at the start of the level?  i'm pushing the use button to no avail frown

Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2004, 05:15:13 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
hey guys how do i get the buggy turned back over at the start of the level?  i'm pushing the use button to no avail frown

give it a kick with the ol grav gun

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2004, 09:34:10 PM »

Quote from: "Yossarian"

And make sure you have the grav gun selected before you get into the buggy-then when you fall, you can get out and shoot asap hopefully before you loose any health from the ants.

Oh, btw, they can't swim.

And as an asside, I think so far this is my favorite level- the way you go for a bit then pull over for stuff to happen then move on is just great.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2004, 09:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Quote from: "Yossarian"

And make sure you have the grav gun selected before you get into the buggy-then when you fall, you can get out and shoot asap hopefully before you loose any health from the ants.

Oh, btw, they can't swim.

And as an asside, I think so far this is my favorite level- the way you go for a bit then pull over for stuff to happen then move on is just great.

I liked it too.  The bridge was pretty intense.  I fell a few times and it actually took my stomach  :shock:

Go Gunners...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2004, 09:55:33 PM »

I loved the bridge.  I started out thinking "There's no way I can cross this thing" and by the end I was giggling again.  This game makes me giggle.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2004, 10:54:47 PM »

This game makes me giggle.

I'm not ashamed to admit it makes me giggle too.  Although its nice to know I won't meet any of you in real life ever smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
cameltoe yumyum
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2004, 02:44:22 AM »

Speaking of the bridge, I've gotten to the far side, killed the bad guys, and got into the room with the blue forcefield.. now I'm stuck.  I can't get the forcefield down.  Any help?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2004, 03:44:59 AM »

Quote from: "cameltoe yumyum"
Speaking of the bridge, I've gotten to the far side, killed the bad guys, and got into the room with the blue forcefield.. now I'm stuck.  I can't get the forcefield down.  Any help?

Ok well I know what to do but just telling seems... well, let me ask you - do you have any grenades?  Oh, and remember there was sniper up there, shooting OUT at you....

Ok, my conscience tells me I can say no more..hope it helps.
JRC1978
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2004, 04:46:39 AM »

HELP!

AND SPOILER!

I am stuck in the prison trying to rescue the girls father.  I am at the point where I have 3 turrets to place and a whole ton of baddies to kill.  They keep knocking the turrets down and I can't get them put back fast enough.  I try to take them all on by myself and get owned.  They are coming from like 50 different directions.  What is the trick?  Is there some magic spot to place the turrets?  I have tried so many times now to beat it and I always die at almost the same moment each time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: