http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:14:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2: Aftermath delayed until April 24th  (Read 1075 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2006, 06:54:23 PM »

Apparently that is the new "target date."  Seriously, how does Valve manage to take a year and a half to make a 5-6 hour expansion?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »

They're waiting for HL2 sales to slow down enough for it to make financial cents to release the Platinum bundle.

Or they are trying to hammer out the bugs and making sure it is flawless.

slywink
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 07:47:07 PM »

Quote from: "Kev199"
Or they are trying to hammer out the bugs and making sure it is flawless.

slywink

But since all the are doing is basically making new levels there shouldn't be a ton of bug testing.  Just the scripted events, specific triggers for NPC actions, etc.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »

Goddamnit, that does bother me because I am looking forward to it, but honestly the HL2 delay was worth it. The couple of things I really really wish they would have changed for the expansion (maybe they are but I cant find info about it anywhere) would be:

-No iron sights/aiming down the gun (After this becoming the standard in almost every other FPS its a glaring omission for me)
-Somewhat wonky, too inaccurate (too great a spread) crosshair dynamic on some of the machine guns.
-Better feeling of impact when you get hit-sometimes its still hard to tell you are getting hit without seeing the flashing red.
-WHY CAN'T I LEAN IN 2006??

Seriously though, I still heart the HL2!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:31:50 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Apparently that is the new "target date."  Seriously, how does Valve manage to take a year and a half to make a 5-6 hour expansion?

it's not like they haven't done anything in the last year, say release Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, HL 2 deathmatch, and continued supporting all the games they have made up to this day.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"

it's not like they haven't done anything in the last year, say release Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, HL 2 deathmatch, and continued supporting all the games they have made up to this day.

True, but has it taken their entire team to do that stuff?  No, they actually have seperate teams for those parts of their business.

As others have pointed out, they are using existing technology that they should know a lot about and they are probably using content they considered for inclusion in HL2 to begin with.

All I'm saying is that if it takes them this long to release a short expansion they are heading for trouble since 1) the engine will be outdated before they release two expansions at this rate and 2) Unreal 3 is wiping the floor as far as licensed engine sales go.

- American Dad
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »

Bitch bitch bitch....good to see where starting the new year off great.  :roll:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 08:18:51 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

At least nobody is complaining about Steam!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"

My complaints weren't about the delay, but about the few percieved weaknesses that I thought the original game had in the first place and were being carried over smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 02:11:29 AM »

True, but has it taken their entire team to do that stuff?  No, they actually have seperate teams for those parts of their business.

Valve has been pretty tight lipped about what they're working on in the past so I wouldn't guess that HL2: Aftermath is receiving even the majority of their resources.  I'd guess that HL3 is already in production with Aftermath getting its own, relatively small, team.  

And despite being released over a year ago, HL2 is still probably the best looking game I've ever played so I hardly think Aftermath can be considered dated.

Quote from: "Calvin"
My complaints weren't about the delay, but about the few percieved weaknesses that I thought the original game had in the first place and were being carried over

I too enjoy iron sights and leaning but I'm sure their omission in HL2 was entirely deliberate so I wouldn't expect to see either in any expansions.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 02:57:12 AM »

Iron sights and leaning are two things that either more realistic or differently paced games have.  Half-Life was designed from the getgo without these features as part of the gameplay.  Remember, Half-Life was never proported to be real, it's just a stylization of a industrial science fiction.

The inaccurate gun is also there for a reason, that being that the SMG would be balanced against the other guns.  This was also deliberate, as the weapon's high rate of fire is counterbalanced by its low accuracy.  This makes the gun very sutiable for close combat (which happens a lot on game) where the spread actually helps you hit targets, especially for those who have trouble aiming.

One thing I really hate, though, is that almost every FPS game out there makes pistols as accurate as sniper rifles.  Anyone else notice this?  The SMG, with the longer barrel, is less accurate than the standard pistol.

Then again, it's actually a little known fact that the SMG originally had a 3 round burst mode that you could choose between.  I think there's a mod out there that reactivated the code left behind for such a feature.

I do agree with the impacts.  I felt like bullets hitting monsters and combine didn't have as much an effect on them as it should have.  Of course this harkens back to the old days of FPS games, like quake 2, where shooting something would only puff up a bit of red (or grey) mist while the thing blindly shot back.  However, I think it's more a need for enemies to react to being shot than for more special effects to be used.  Right now there's a bit of blood, a audible grunt, and maybe a slight flinch when they're hit.  They should make the flinch from getting hit more visible, even making it so that the enemy looses his aim or something.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 04:38:26 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Valve has been pretty tight lipped about what they're working on in the past so I wouldn't guess that HL2: Aftermath is receiving even the majority of their resources.  I'd guess that HL3 is already in production with Aftermath getting its own, relatively small, team.  

And despite being released over a year ago, HL2 is still probably the best looking game I've ever played so I hardly think Aftermath can be considered dated.

While I'm sure they are doing some work on HL3 that's more likely a sequel using this engine than something new (based on comments made when HL2 was released).  My annoyance is that they have insisted on doing the expansions in house this time supposedly because they had the expertise.

As for the engine, you are correct at the moment, but Source was designed for current gen graphics cards on single processor based systems.  The XB360 already has gone beyond that and PC's that are much more powerful are just around the corner.  I'd argue that, in some respects, FEAR has a better engine and it's not like Source was light years away from Far Cry and Doom 3's engine.  And don't forget that the first Unreal 3 game is due in the next 6 months.

All I'm saying is that Valve risks becoming irrelevant very fast in the cutting edge tech world of FPS games by taking so long.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 05:03:29 AM »

All I'm saying is that Valve risks becoming irrelevant very fast in the cutting edge tech world of FPS games by taking so long.

That statement has a lot of merit, particularly in light of Newell's complaining about the architecture of X360 and PS3.  I don't think its really a valid criticism of Aftermath though- its an expansion pack so I don't think its fair to expect significant graphics or architecture changes.  Valve's continuing relevance will be proven by HL3 or their next new IP, not by expansion packs.  

I'd argue that, in some respects, FEAR has a better engine and it's not like Source was light years away from Far Cry and Doom 3's engine. And don't forget that the first Unreal 3 game is due in the next 6 months.

FEAR is impressive but it's an absolute pig of a game and I'd still give HL2 the edge for its art direction and characters that don't look like play-dough.  Although I was blown away by HL2's visuals, I was equally blown away by its smooth performance on mid-range machines.  Valve certainly seems to be having a hard time licensing out Source and I think its a damn shame since I'd much rather play games based on Source than on the Doom 3 engine.  

Unreal 3 looks great and certainly seems to be "the" engine of the next-gen.  That said, it isn't here yet, and I think its a testament to the skill of Valve, id, and Crytek that their technology still remains cutting edge a year or more after release which is a relative eternity in terms of PC technology.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 06:21:42 AM »

Technically, none of the current game engines are cutting edge anymore, especially Valve's.

However, what makes them seem cutting edge is that these engines allow the developer to accomplish amazing graphics without having to use all the latest flashy engine tech.

The key is that all these companies have very good art directors that handle their games' artistic design.  Half-Life 2, for instance, if you look at the levels with a keen eye, you'll see that the HL2 world geometry (level polygons, not characters or objects) are not that much more detailed than HL1, it's just that the texturing was improved and the subtle use of certain effects (bump mapping, cube mapping, and various shaders) helped promote the look of the game.

Honestly, it's more how the developer can best use the engine than what's the latest and greatest feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: