http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 03:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL1 in Source not all it's cracked up to be  (Read 2362 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2004, 02:41:39 PM »

So I finally got my PC Gamer with the much talked about review. They had a column on HL1 running in Source. It frankly, sounds underwhelming. Apparently, the only real upgrade is to the water and the physics. All other graphics/textures are the same. The gist of it is, "It looks and plays almost exactly like the original." overall. Why bother? I know some people here were very excited about it, but you may want to rethink buying a more expensive package to get this feature now.

Having said that, the article points out that FANS will no doubt eventually mod HL1 in Source with new textures, so eventually, it will probably be very cool.

EDIT: Fixing the quote from the zine.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 02:46:48 PM »

Wow.  That's a huge bummer... I was under the impression that it was reskinned and redesigned to use the new engine. :x

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 03:06:38 PM »

I thought the same until I read my PC Lamer.  VERY underwhelming.  New physics?  Who cares......
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 03:09:02 PM »

Nevermind in retail you have to pay the $80 Collector's Edition to even get HL1 Source in the package.  Dumb!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 03:11:10 PM »

Here's how EBWorld is advertising HL Source in the CE:

Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game

I'd say that's a bunch of BS and VERY misleading.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 03:15:24 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game

Gamestop has the same line for Half-Life 2 CE...it's from the publisher.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:25:06 PM »

I think I'm going to cancel my 60.00 CE order from Walmart (it's not that price anymore).  Why spend the extra 10 bucks for basically nothing.  I don't care about the T shirt or book.  I ordered it for the "updated" version of HL1, which really doesn't exist.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 05:28:25 PM »

I'm not surprised, and not really that upset either, but I'm still cancelling my CE preorder and buying the normal pack.

I want the DVD version, but paying $30 more for an extra shirt and HL source isn't really worth it.  I think you also get things like DoD source, but I suspect there'll be plenty of new mods to fill the position.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 06:46:29 PM »

Well that sucks.  I also thought it was going to be the whole game with new textures.  Boo!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 06:55:02 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

I think you also get things like DoD source, but I suspect there'll be plenty of new mods to fill the position.

Nope.  DOD:Source is only available if you purchase it off of Steam.  It has to do with licensing rights.  I think the Activision owns the license of DOD, so VU can't sell it.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 10:28:44 PM »

How spoiler-ific is the PC Gamer review?  I want to read it, but not at the expense of the story being ruined.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 03:37:20 AM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
How spoiler-ific is the PC Gamer review?  I want to read it, but not at the expense of the story being ruined.

I didn't read it but the pictures they have shouldn't spoil too much.

How does this work again?
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 04:30:12 AM »

I said this back on GG when people were raving about HL1-source being a good reason to go for the collector's edition. From comparison screenshots I've seen the game really doesn't look any better than the original, just improved water and monster models.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

Its accurate, though.  Remastering dosn't add any new material to a production (unless you're George Lucas  :x ).  It just cleans up the old matter and presents it in an enhanced form.  Here the textures stayed the same, but they will be rendered in a cleaner manner with better effects; same with the sound.  Its the equivalent of remastering a Beatles album to a CD.  Different medium of presentation, same exact material.  The LP sounded good, but the CD has a much deeper, cleaner sound.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 05:33:08 PM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"

The main HL2 spoilers are in regards to the beginning of the game. HL1 is pretty thoroughly spoiled in the review however.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 02:00:44 AM »

I'll wait till GoGamer has the Import DVD and buy that. DoD source and HL1 Source probably wouldn't get more than a cursory glance from me anyway, and its not like there won't be a buttload of new mods for HL2 anyway.

And I like having the Media anyway slywink (And the imports usually come in a DVD Hardcase. I <3 those slywink

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2004, 02:48:02 AM »

Not to be a smart-ass, but IIRC there were HL1 Source screens posted weeks ago that looked pretty sad.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 02:52:52 PM »

Bummer.  I'll be cancelling my CE preorder and replacing it with the normal version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: