http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:57:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hinterland is out on Steam  (Read 6104 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

Very impressive sir!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »

Hinterland recives its first content update now!  eek

The free update will include:
Two new character types you can play as - The Elf Archer and the Dwarf Warrior

Creature-specific item drops - Rare and unique items, (e.g. Troll Blood) that give the character who consumes them permanent bonuses

Character Info Screen - Details your abilities, and gives information on the town in general

You can acquire resources through economic means - Dig a well for Fresh Water, plant Herbs, import Iron, etc.

Expanded character customization choices when leveling - Three ability choices instead of two with the third choice based on your character’s profession.

Item Sorting – Ability to automatically sort inventory items by type and relative power

Auto-equipping - Townspeople will automatically take items they can use from the town inventory periodically as needed (this can also be turned off if desired)

Miscellaneous balancing, pacing and usability improvements and refinements - made in response to player feedback

really nice support for such a cheap game, loving it so far!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »

I was waiting for a demo of this, but I may just take the plunge this weekend unless the weekend Steam sale is something decent.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »

Nice post game patch, deals with a lot of issues I had.  If they keep the patches going in the same direction the game should have a good future.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 06:22:06 PM »

While I am grateful that there was a content update done for the game, I can't help but feel a little disappointed at the lack of a spellcasting hero. I've always played a mage/wizard/necro in RPGs and not having one in the game makes me sad. frown
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »

I think you become a spellcaster if you equip a wand or staff.  Haven't tried it yet though.

There really isn't much depth at to the combat system.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »

Yeah, I tried equipping a staff/wand on my hero and all you do is shoot fireballs when you attack. It's pretty slow and not as fast as a wizard party member. At least it didn't seem as fast.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to see the characters' experience point totals?

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on October 09, 2008, 07:44:41 PM

Am I missing something, or is there really no way to see the characters' experience point totals?
You are correct sir. (So far, it might get added)

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »

Watch the white bars under attack, defense and health, when they get all the way to the right you get a skill (or health) increase and the bar resets. When this happens four times you gain a level.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 04:35:31 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 10, 2008, 01:40:40 AM

Watch the white bars under attack, defense and health, when they get all the way to the right you get a skill (or health) increase and the bar resets. When this happens four times you gain a level.
Ahh good to know, thanks Coop!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 06:04:52 AM »

Er, so is the patch out?
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 10:20:40 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 10, 2008, 06:04:52 AM

Er, so is the patch out?

No.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »

Thanks, guys. Sure is surprising that there isn't an easy way to determine experience, although I'd have to think that this will be part of the next content update.

And that's what those white bars are for! I was wondering about them. I thought I remember seeing them jump up at a much faster rate than the leveling process though. Do you level when all three bars (there are three, right?) turn over four times, or does just one of them have to turn over four times? And I don't suppose there is any way to know how many times each bar has turned over by looking at it?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on October 10, 2008, 10:20:40 AM

Quote from: Turtle on October 10, 2008, 06:04:52 AM

Er, so is the patch out?

No.

Yes.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2008, 01:25:07 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on October 10, 2008, 07:17:03 PM

And that's what those white bars are for! I was wondering about them. I thought I remember seeing them jump up at a much faster rate than the leveling process though. Do you level when all three bars (there are three, right?) turn over four times, or does just one of them have to turn over four times? And I don't suppose there is any way to know how many times each bar has turned over by looking at it?

any combination of bars turning over a total of four times - 3xattack + 1 defense, 2xdefense + 1 attack and 1 health, 4xhealth, etc.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »

Eh, I've never been a fan of the use = increase method of gaining EXP in rpgs.  While it's more realistic, it can increase the grind factor and silliness for some things.  Want to level up health?  Just stand and let yourself get hit.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »

There's an outstanding new update. It includes an option for townspeople to automatically use resources to enhance their production and now if you click on your main building you get a breakdown of your production, status, reputation etc. Very cool.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »

The auto-equipping is very useful. And the additional background stats is welcome too. I do wish for more info on just how effective one weapon vs another is: is that fast 2 damage blade better than the average 3 sword and if my archer character (whose description says he's not skilled with melee weapons) always better off with a fast 1 damage bow than he is with a slow 4 damage longbow? They're not so crucial perhaps but I do wonder.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: