http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:59:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hinterland is out on Steam  (Read 6118 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »

Downloading now. Will post impressions later.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »

On the fence on this one...I think I am going to buy it though.  It looks pretty cool slywink

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:53:48 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm pretty sure I'm in. Where are those impressions? smile
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:07:23 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 01, 2008, 01:53:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I'm pretty sure I'm in. Where are those impressions? smile

A bunch on Qt3. So far good, but there is a little bit of a learning curve it sounds like.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:17:03 AM »

Finished my first game on Short, Easy.

Pros: Fun, lots of loot, much of the game intuitive, just the right amount of challenge level, town building doesn't feel tacked on, managing followers is actually interesting, strong replayability.

Cons: Steep learning curve, screen can get quickly crowded with tooltips and menus, the parts that aren't intuitive suck badly (you need food but no one explains how to get food and my first two followers were an inkeeper and an alechemist. Finally figured out how to get food when a farmer showed up after everybody else left due to starvation), might not be deep enough (but I need to play more to see)

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:45:37 AM »

From another forum, the he said the basic strategy was to get farmers in early, one farmer is 1 food production.  Going around to first level encounters should net some ways to improve food production.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:49:06 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on October 01, 2008, 02:17:03 AM

Pros: Fun, lots of loot, much of the game intuitive, just the right amount of challenge level, town building doesn't feel tacked on, managing followers is actually interesting, strong replayability.

Cons: Steep learning curve, screen can get quickly crowded with tooltips and menus, the parts that aren't intuitive suck badly (you need food but no one explains how to get food and my first two followers were an inkeeper and an alechemist. Finally figured out how to get food when a farmer showed up after everybody else left due to starvation), might not be deep enough (but I need to play more to see)

What the fuck? Loot, town building, managing followers, replayability and i don't recall even hearing a bout it?  FUCK!

To Steam! Charge!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:13:01 AM »

Reading the QT3 thread has actually diminished my interest. The game sounds like it needs more polish, and is apparently badly documented. Also, I didn't know there would be all this (what sounds like) micromanagement and dealing with peons and raising food and such. I just wanted more of a decent Diablo-esque type game. I'll see how it shapes up with patches and all.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:15 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 01, 2008, 04:13:01 AM

Reading the QT3 thread has actually diminished my interest. The game sounds like it needs more polish, and is apparently badly documented. Also, I didn't know there would be all this (what sounds like) micromanagement and dealing with peons and raising food and such. I just wanted more of a decent Diablo-esque type game. I'll see how it shapes up with patches and all.

heh, its Diablo-in-real-life simulation... You also have to date and wear your smartest outfit to impress those farmgirls...and if all else fails, there's always the livestock...that needs tending!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »

I didn't see a demo on Steam- is there one out there or any plans for one?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »

Yikes, outlaw on medium difificulty or higher is TOUGH starting.  Crap equipment, mediocre combat skills, negative fame so you can't hire anyone for a while, and to top it off, out of the gate you have five days to kill ~10 monsters or the king fires your ass.  I ran into a troll raiding party heading for my town, died , and then was -35 points in infamy. Thaaaat game kinda didn't pan out.   icon_frown

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

Finished second game, Medium Size Easy. Way too much fun. The loot really starts to get interesting above level 8. I finished the game wearing a Dragon Scale Armour of Destruction with +7 to attack and +7 to defense. Tons of fun.

The penalty for death however is nasty. I lost almost all of my fame when my group got wiped out by a particularly tough wizard. I went back to town but couldn't recruit any warriors because my fame was too low. So I had to change tactics and pull one mob at a time solo until my fame was high enough to hire some help again.

Still lots of buildings and characters to play with. Have never managed to find an instrument or a dragon egg yet, so no bard and no dragon ranching. One of these times I'll have to hire a necromancer and find out why they're so incredibly expensive. smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »

So, do you guys think there's a lot of room for, say mini expansions for $5-$10 adding more depth to the game?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »

I really like the gameplay, but the game does need more depth. I would pay for extra content.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 01, 2008, 08:55:11 PM

So, do you guys think there's a lot of room for, say mini expansions for $5-$10 adding more depth to the game?

I'm not sure what you'd expand. Maybe add some dungeons or something? I've only played a short game so far, but I expect the longer games to just have bigger maps. The whole game takes place on one randomly generated open map which is basically a grid full of squares you can capture that give you resources.

I guess I could see some of the squares having an entrance to a dungeon or tower where you can fight inside.

Seeing more RPG elements on the player's character growth would be cool. I'd like to see where my development is going. It's pretty blind at the moment. When I level up, I can choose to improve attack, defense or something else, then it goes to a second screen and you pick between two bonuses. It feels kind of random.

There are certainly things I'd like to see, but it's really a pretty simple, but fun game.

Orgull, what was the difference between the short and medium game? Was it just bigger map as I suggest? The bigger map means more levelling up, which means more loot.

I gues the town side of things could be expanded as well. The blacksmith making things more or less at random is a little annoying. I let a merchant go early and could never get another one back, that made me sad.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »

Yes, longer game lengths mean larger maps. I just finished a medium/medium and was around level 8 at the end. Had a cool flaming sword too.

I wish the crafting buildings would make some better stuff. I got a witch about halfway into the game, had her research a Ring of Power (sounds epic) and after a long while she made one. It gave a measly +2 to attack. Wooptie do. The smiths also seem to max out on equipment that became obsolete halfway into my medium length game.

I got a dragon last game, and that was pretty cool. Well, until it died.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »

Quote from: Koz on October 02, 2008, 02:17:50 PM

I wish the crafting buildings would make some better stuff. I got a witch about halfway into the game, had her research a Ring of Power (sounds epic) and after a long while she made one. It gave a measly +2 to attack. Wooptie do. The smiths also seem to max out on equipment that became obsolete halfway into my medium length game.

The thing that frustrated me was I saw the option for my weaponsmith to research something that looked cool, had him research it, when he was done he went back to making the same old crap.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »

It will tell you in the building description what the guy is making. You can hit the "do research button instead" and then hit the "craft something" button and it will change whatever he's making. Just do this a bunch of times until he makes something you want. You can do this even if he has nothing left to research.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

I hadn't thought to be so devious, thanks Koz. biggrin

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »

Ok, so how exactly do you use the merchant to sell stuff? I tried right clicking on stuff, dragging stuff to him, nothing works.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on October 02, 2008, 10:23:27 PM

Ok, so how exactly do you use the merchant to sell stuff? I tried right clicking on stuff, dragging stuff to him, nothing works.

Once you have a merchant, all you do is drag the unwanted item out of the inventory and release the button.  Then you should get a window that asks if you want to sell the item to the merchant.  Click yes and proceed. 

However, keep in mind that you always sell for 1 GP, no matter if it's a rusty dagger or that +25 Whip of Seduction.

icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 04:02:06 AM »

shift + left click is the quick sell (or destroy if you have no merchant) shortcut

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 06:21:56 AM »

I really want this game...but I havent bought it yet, because I cant tell from your responses whether its good or not.. *Is* there a fun game in there, with some replayability? OR does it grow old quickly? I dont care about graphics, as long as there is a great game, and it seems like it.I mean, heck, getting a dragon??

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »

It is fun and addictive, so get it.  Unless you hate Diablo style games, then I don't think you will be able to get beyond the combat.  Not that that is all the game is, but you do spend a lot of time fighting bad guys Diablo style.  However, it's a simplified Diablo style.

Did I confuse you yet?   icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »

It's replayable to an extent.

However, once you've played a long game you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer beyond just higher difficulties, and those higher difficulties often are frustrating.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 03, 2008, 09:36:21 AM

It's replayable to an extent.

However, once you've played a long game you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer beyond just higher difficulties, and those higher difficulties often are frustrating.

ok, thanks both of you - Any word on whether the developers plan to remedy that by adding new stuff in patches?

I'm sooo on the fence with this one...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:17 AM »

Well, first, it's a $20 game.

And yeah, it's a very "on the fence" kind of game.  On one hand, the way they put together these various elements together is interesting.  The combat is also decent, if a bit clunky.  The town building doesn't have a lot of depth, managing it is very clunky, the "tech" upgrading path is pretty linear.  More like an RTS than say a city sim.

It's better to think of it more as a clunky Diablo where the main goal is to protect the town and clear out the surrounding area.  In the area around the town you have these sites that always have enemies around them.  Kill all the enemies and you clear and claim the site.  You'll be walking on the same map all the way, oh and the pathfinding works, but gets stuck for while on things a lot, but it looks like they eventually work through things.  Claim all the sites and you win.

Some sites on the map are Bases from which raids will come, the raids scale either via time or level, I'm not sure, maybe both.

Adding to the village and getting more people is a bit odd.  You have to wait for people to visit, then from these guys you choose whether you want their help and build a building to house them.  There really isn't much variation beyond type, and level of visitor.

Despite having fun with the game, I was actually looking for something a bit bigger and with more depth, I'd have even payed $40-$50 for such a game.  But, Hinterland is very much worth it at $20 so long as you realize you're not getting anything deep.  The combat and town management is decent, so is the interplay between the two, but neither aspect has all that much depth and whatever depth there is can be hard to access.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:19:38 AM by Turtle » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »

Thanks again, Turtle - that pretty much sold the game for me - I had forgotten the 20 bucks cost... And it also highlighst my misgivings about because the idea seems VERY interesting, too bad there isnt too much depth, but I guess that would make the game a lot more complex. But, the more people that buy it, the higher chance of a new edition being made of course :-)

The idea actually reminds me a bit about Majesty, which I played to death...gods I'd give good money for a sequel to that one...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 10:21:20 AM »

You could compare it to the smaller laptop style fast games like Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, and yeah even like Majesty (except I think Majesty's handling of it was more coherent).

One thing that really bugged me with the town aspect of it is some buildings don't have extra abilities and effects.  Places like the Inn and Fortune Teller are basically there just to generate money.  Herders basically only have one use and don't have many upgrades except for producing a pet dragon if you find an egg.

You can't tell craftsmen what to craft, or even a general direction, although you can see what they're making or researching.

Priests, or any spellcasters are confusing to use, definitely read the manual on those, I haven't yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:27:08 AM by Turtle » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 03, 2008, 10:21:20 AM

One thing that really bugged me with the town aspect of it is some buildings don't have extra abilities and effects.  Places like the Inn and Fortune Teller are basically there just to generate money. 

The inn and upgrades increase the number of concurrent visitors, giving you a better chance at getting the sort of visitor you want. Pretty valuable. smile

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 02:11:45 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 03, 2008, 01:11:34 PM

Quote from: Turtle on October 03, 2008, 10:21:20 AM

One thing that really bugged me with the town aspect of it is some buildings don't have extra abilities and effects.  Places like the Inn and Fortune Teller are basically there just to generate money. 

The inn and upgrades increase the number of concurrent visitors, giving you a better chance at getting the sort of visitor you want. Pretty valuable. smile

Fortune Tellers upgrade to Wizards and Warlocks I think. They can also do research for magical items. Just having an upgrade tree would be immensely helpful.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »

Is there a hero that starts with spells? I looked at all the hero types and none said anything about spells. So if there are none that start with spells, can you learn it? Still trying to figure out some aspects of this game. smile
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:21 PM »

If this one was a Majesty-like game, I would have bought it without a thought. Seeing all this "not very deep this and pretty shallow that" impressions makes it look like another Spore, which I hated for this exact reason - it's just a bunch of "not very deep" modules stuck together to form - in the end - a not very entertainng game with no replay value.

Even the words "simplified Diablo" sound weird to me, since Diablo wasn't a very complicated game to begin with. Simplified Diablo merged with a simplified Settlers doesn't sound that exciting to me.

Sigh, I dunno.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »

I've played 3 games 2x short easy and 1x long medium. It's definitely a time waster, not a dig into deep strategy sort of game.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 04:34:42 AM »

Gamespy has posted their review - 3.5/5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »

okay, the review and what people said here, makes me wonder...you people *do* know you dont have to *Click-click-click* , but just click on the monste once, to attack, right?

I bought the damn game,and hell yeah, its fun!! played my first 3 hour game last night, and couldn t really decide today between Warhammer and Hinterland :-D It has a quiet charm that I really like, the graphics are nice enough, and the music is actually pretty spot-on for me :-)

anyways, I Heartily recommend this game for anyone looking for a 20 buck blast ;-)

A new one
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 04, 2008, 08:45:38 AM

okay, the review and what people said here, makes me wonder...you people *do* know you dont have to *Click-click-click* , but just click on the monste once, to attack, right?

I bought the damn game,and hell yeah, its fun!! played my first 3 hour game last night, and couldn t really decide today between Warhammer and Hinterland :-D It has a quiet charm that I really like, the graphics are nice enough, and the music is actually pretty spot-on for me :-)

anyways, I Heartily recommend this game for anyone looking for a 20 buck blast ;-)

I'm always looking for a $20 buck blast.  with a baby on the way it's about all the wife will let me look at!  I'll pick this up after i finish divine Divinity that i got for $5 at target.  It's a oldie but holding up well.

morlac00 on PSN
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 04:45:17 AM »

I just had to share this picture. In the top right you can see the best weapon I've found to date. And there's a dead level 13 Dragon on the ground. Awesome.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »

Hey Orgull was that with all resources on? I play with random resources and haven't gotton my town to have stats like that yet.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 07:46:17 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on October 06, 2008, 05:15:34 PM

Hey Orgull was that with all resources on? I play with random resources and haven't gotton my town to have stats like that yet.

That was my first game with random resources, medium difficulty, long game. Before I'd been playing all resources and it wasn't nearly as much of a fun challenge.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: