http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 07:14:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Microsoft!  (Read 350 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:43:48 AM »

You have this vast wealth of hardware experience. You've been making controllers, keyboards and mice for the better part of three decades.

Low-cost-entry Killer Instinct fightstick would be nice. You know, not a MadCatz $240 PER CONTROLLER option. Like, say, maybe 40-60bux? Perhaps a plug-in to the existing controller port that you use for headsets, perhaps?

I'm talking one stick, six-to-eight buttons in a 2x3 or 2x4 config. Shouldn't be hard. Maybe a weekend of OT for your hardware guys?

Yeah, cuz that Killer Instinct game? I play it with exactly four buttons cuz shoulder buttons are a pain in fighting games.

Get back to me. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:45:54 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:25:42 AM »

Mad Catz has one, they just haven't shown it yet.  Just like they had the $200 SFIV stick then had the $69 cheap version.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »

So, do pads like these not work at all on the One?

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-street-fighter-x-tekken-fight-pad/99077

It's just USB and such (and thus work fantastically on the PC). But as I don't own a One, I have no way of knowing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »

There are no 3rd party controllers at the moment for either platform (IIRC).

My problem is that MadCatz has exactly one.

With taxes, buying two of them is almost as much as a freakin' console.

I'm not going to be playing much KI until a cheaper solution makes itself available. Considering this is from RARE, a MSFT company, it'd sure be nice if they were to provide something to take advantage of it. By advantage, I don't mean Kinect controls.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »

The new Microsoft controller is YOU!!!  You know, your voice and hand gestures  Tongue

XBOX ON!!!!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »

I do get a chuckle out of telling my Xbox "Xbox!  Go Home, you're drunk!"

It works too....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 06, 2014, 04:43:48 AM

You have this vast wealth of hardware experience. You've been making controllers, keyboards and mice for the better part of three decades.

Yes they do, but from my experience they've haven't been particularly good at it. I've yet to own a piece of MS hardware that wasn't deficient or prematurely defective. And that includes non-gaming hardware form many moons ago, like the 80286 CPU upgrades they manufactured in the 80's. Even their mice and keyboards have been a disappointment for me. If you're wanting a decent fighter stick for the XB1, I wouldn't count on MS delivering it.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 06, 2014, 07:54:00 PM

Yes they do, but from my experience they've haven't been particularly good at it. I've yet to own a piece of MS hardware that wasn't deficient or prematurely defective. And that includes non-gaming hardware form many moons ago, like the 80286 CPU upgrades they manufactured in the 80's. Even their mice and keyboards have been a disappointment for me. If you're wanting a decent fighter stick for the XB1, I wouldn't count on MS delivering it.

There was that one optical mouse!  Also, their XBox controllers have been pretty fantastic....I own like 4 of them and have not had an issue with any of them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 06, 2014, 07:54:00 PM

From a vast wealth of personal MS hardware experience - IMO MS puts out a pretty solid product, and have fantastic support. I've had 2-5 year old mice replaced, no questions asked. Everything from GameVoice to Strategic commanders to Habu and the entire Keyboards and Mouse lines (ranging back to the early nineties), I've found they are pretty solid and don't break easy.

FWIW, I found this on sale about two months ago (been using it at work):

Were I to list all the MS hardware I've had for my different PCs, I'd be at it for quite some time.

The fact that they have this flagship fighting game with planned episodic / seasonal content releases over the next two years, you'd think they could provide a better arcade fighting control experience out-of-the-gates.

Frankly, they need to start competing with their clients. If nothing else, the Surface / 2 / pro / pro 2 has shown that the market is interested in them putting out their own hardware. Just because MadCatz and Thrustmaster are going to put out 400!! wheels and stupid-expensive fight-sticks does not mean they can't put out solid-but-cheaper alternatives for the average consumer.

Yeah, yeah, they've been busy patching holes in their Xbox boat. This is something that should have been in the plans in tandem. They want to show dedication to gamers? Get the options out there that says "Look, Kinect is for moving. These other things? They're for other kinds of gaming."

I know I'd be playing a lot more KI if I had an arcade stick.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: