http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:21:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go - (update) THREE Red Rings on my 360  (Read 4384 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Last night I was trying to play an HD-DVD movie and the 360 locked up. I rebooted it and the movie went further than last time but locked up again, but this time I got a red light in the lower right quadrant of the 'ring o' quality'.  Looking on the Internet it seems that this is likely the end of my 3rd Xbox 360.  Time to see how this extended warranty through GameStop works...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:23:59 AM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »

Good lordy. 360s are dying left and right here.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »

KD, all you should have to do is take your receipt into the store and tell them you have a PRP and they should replace the unit.  Keep your HD though....

But I would call them first and ask if they have any for sale (avoid someone trying to tell you they don't have any in stock to replace yours with when they really do)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:23:41 PM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

Ron, that BLOWS. Worse made console EVER... Christ.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »

I'd honestly go through MS first unless your GS warranty is almost up then use it. Mind you waiting sucks. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 04, 2008, 02:42:51 PM

I'd honestly go through MS first unless your GS warranty is almost up then use it. Mind you waiting sucks. frown

My objective is to have them swap it for an Elite and I'll pay the difference.  This is ridiculous and I'd like to be off the constantly-replaced models if it is in any way possible.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »

Five replies in and nobody has suggested he should rip-off Costco? Someone is asleep at the wheel.

Sorry to hear about the news, KD. Good luck getting your system back online asap.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »

I originally had my 360 in a 'dvd hole' (no idea what to call this) in an entertainment unit and I noticed that hole got really warm when the 360 was on. I moved it to get more ventilation and now I have no problem. In fact, I think keeping a 360 on is a great way to heat up the whole house. Definitely cheaper and more fun than a standard furnace.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »

They're going to be releasing a "fixed" console in the next 6 months, where both the CPU and GPU have the cooling and a smaller path (I remember reading it somewhere; it might have been in the most recent Rock Band or on 1up); so I'd get MS to replace it and then right before your GS warranty is up to bring it back and swap it out for a new one.

Hell, you've paid extra monies for the warranty, you may as well get the most mileage for your buck.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on February 04, 2008, 03:25:42 PM

Five replies in and nobody has suggested he should rip-off Costco? Someone is asleep at the wheel.

Sorry to hear about the news, KD. Good luck getting your system back online asap.

Oh, and rent one from Costco.

(sorry FYE... fixed!)

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »

I started getting that once in awhile. Error 74 with one red ring. I guess it is a misc hardware failure.
I reseated the hard drive and video cable with no change.

I usually just reboot and then it works just fine /shrug

I still have a launch day system so I can't really complain compared to many other people's experiences.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »

DOOD. You just damned your system.

Call MSFT and start the order now... your 360 is going DOWN.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »

Just FYI, Costco doesn't eat any of the cost.  They send it back to Microsoft as defective...where they eat the cost.  It's part of an arrangement they have; when a company wants to have something sold thru Costco, they agree that any defective product returned, the company will give Costco full credit.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

Kobra was banned a while back.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Laner on February 04, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

*clap*  Well played sir.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:29:52 PM »

Mine is scheduled to arrive Friday, so slightly less than 4 weeks after it broke.  Unfortunatley, those fuckers sent it Fedex, signature required, so I don't know if my super will be able to sign for it.  Fuckers.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »

Get your sig on file.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:08:46 PM »

When they send back, they send with in-person delivery required.  Having your sig on file or signing the door tag isn't good enough.  MS won't tell you this ahead of time, which is why I'm now on my 7th week without a working 360.  Of course, MS is also unwilling to provide any additional compensation for the extra month of XBL that I paid for and haven't been able to use because they can't manage a decent turnaround time between getting a system returned by FedEx, and getting it shipped back out again.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 10:21:02 PM »

And we even have a Costco in his area. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »

Actually if that's true about Costco then that really is the way to go.  Microsoft needs to pay for their mistakes.  Don't let them constantly send out refurbished units that are destined to fail.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »

Well, Gamestop requires that you use MS for the first year.  On the other hand, my 360 seems to be running for now.  I'm hoping it was just heat this time and I'll be able to shuffle the power supply a bit further away for better results.  If I wait until ~ June I'll be able to swap it out at will.  It is a one time replacement, so I'd best make it count.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 11:28:27 PM »

I know that CC has a two-week return policy.  I was thinking about taking advantage of that, but decided to attack my PC backlog instead.  If there's a problem with Fedex delivering my XBox, I'll probalby just go to the depot, which isn't too far from where I live.  Unfortunately, MS's relentless incompetence has beaten me to the point where I can no longer fuel my justifiable rage.  I am a shell of my former self.

Fuck Microsoft.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »

So how many PS2's did you go through in the first year and a half.  Didn't you go through 5 total?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 01:44:18 AM »

Quote from: Laner on February 04, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

temporarily banned, he didn't want to come back smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 04:12:31 AM »

Sounds like someone is giving you some BS.  I would ask for the manager....or possibly the DM.  You should be able to get a new one if the one you have isn't working if you have a valid warranty.  GS stopped selling the PRP's cause MS has a better warranty (1 year which is the same as what they charge for).  Hmmm....just doesn't seem right.....throw a stink a little and call out the BS.  They don't want to replace your unit because they don't want to lose the inventory......

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 04:20:12 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on February 05, 2008, 04:12:31 AM

Sounds like someone is giving you some BS.  I would ask for the manager....or possibly the DM.  You should be able to get a new one if the one you have isn't working if you have a valid warranty.  GS stopped selling the PRP's cause MS has a better warranty (1 year which is the same as what they charge for).  Hmmm....just doesn't seem right.....throw a stink a little and call out the BS.  They don't want to replace your unit because they don't want to lose the inventory......

Not in this case.  This guy bends the rules so much for me it isn't funny - he said this is relatively new, post holidays.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 04:28:46 AM »

Quote from: Graham on February 05, 2008, 12:57:58 AM

So how many PS2's did you go through in the first year and a half.  Didn't you go through 5 total?

Yup, that sounds about right.  Obscene....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 03:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 04, 2008, 05:29:15 PM

DOOD. You just damned your system.

Call MSFT and start the order now... your 360 is going DOWN.

LOL, while writing the post I was holding a horseshoe, 4-leaf clover, a rabbit's foot, holding a cross blessed by the Pope and I knocked on wood.
I then took my 360 out of the hyperbolic chamber as hopefully in the vacuum it would not be affected by outside reality.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by ripping off CostCo, but I bought mine there for just this reason. You can bet that if my 360 dies, I'll be getting a new one there. But so far my August '06 unit has been running great.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

Damage... drop the rabbit's foot, it's bringing you down.

The original owner had 3 more, and look at where it's foot ended up...

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 04:07:27 AM »

Interesting....so I unhooked my HD-DVD addon and retested the system - no rings, works just fine.  I think I'm yelling incoherently at the wrong component...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 03:24:31 AM »

I picked up Lost Odyssey today.  I also picked up the other two red rings to go with the one from earlier this month.  Hurray quality!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:41 AM »

See? You weren't yelling at the wrong component after all! Doesn't that make you feel better?  nod
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 16, 2008, 03:24:31 AM

I picked up Lost Odyssey today.  I also picked up the other two red rings to go with the one from earlier this month.  Hurray quality!

LOL

Look at it this way, Ron - you had to replace your PS2 how many times? Your 360 hasn't died that much yet. biggrin

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 07, 2008, 04:07:27 AM

Interesting....so I unhooked my HD-DVD addon and retested the system - no rings, works just fine.  I think I'm yelling incoherently at the wrong component...

Clearly the 360 realises that the HD-DVD format is dead and now refuses to work with it.

16-bit and loving it!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »

Ahh, what a pleasure it is to deal with Microsoft.  I'm told that they'll expedite my shipping to overnight there and back and that they'll email me the packing slip.  I get the slip and it is UPS ground.  I talk to MS and they tell me that they've never had the option to do overnight shipping.  Really?  I know people in the press that have had theirs overnighted.  They tell me nope, that never happened.  Nothing better than calling an already frustrated consumer a liar.  So I guess I'm just completely hosed - my 360 will come back to me whenever they feel like sending it.  What a fiasco...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 01:49:45 AM »

I demanded a new one and a callback.

They have YET to call me.

Assholes.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

I was visited by the RROD fairy last night.  On to my 4th 360 now.  This one lasted about 7-8 months.  Yay!  Oh well, at least they're replacing their junky hardware for free.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on March 19, 2008, 06:07:24 PM

I was visited by the RROD fairy last night.  On to my 4th 360 now.  This one lasted about 7-8 months.  Yay!  Oh well, at least they're replacing their junky hardware for free.

Dude, that blows.  Are they doing anything different this time, given the 4th failure?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 20, 2008, 12:33:15 PM

Quote from: Jancelot on March 19, 2008, 06:07:24 PM

Dude, that blows.  Are they doing anything different this time, given the 4th failure?

Let me guess: "Here, have Kameo or 'insert launch title game here' for free for your constant troubles of our crappy console."  Roll Eyes

Either that, or they're gonna blame him and say he has 'bad power' or something.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: