http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 05:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me with my RPG problem...  (Read 2223 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:53:54 PM »

I REALLY want to find an RPG that I like.  The idea of taking a character, slowing building it up, customizing it, playing through a story, etc... that really appeals to me.

In practice, I have never been able to get into one.  The closest that I have come to being entranced with an 'RPG' is Icewind Dale, but I still didn't finish it. 

Now, I have a PC, a PS2, an XBOX, an XBOX 360, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast, a Nintendo 64, a DS and a PSP.  I also own tons of RPGs that I have only played a bit of.

I have a feeling that if I can find one that really grabs me, that I will then start to enjoy the others, as I search for an equivalent experience.

Please, help me overcome this problem and find an RPG that I will love!  Why aren't they clicking?  What do I have to do to make it work? 

xbox live: nude rick james
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »

What is it about the ones you've tried that hasn't "clicked" for you?

And which ones have you tried or do you have right now?

And while we're at it... tell me about your mother...   icon_biggrin
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »

My mother, she's a nice woman and loves me very much.

I have tried and own:
BG I/II
Icewind Dale
Shenmue
Planescape Torment
Fallout I
Neverwinter Nights I/II
Okami
GTA games (to whatever extent they are RPG)
Bully (ditto)
Final Fantasy X
Oblivion
Morrowind
Golden Sun
KOTOR
Many lighter console ones: Dark Alliance, etc...

I mean, the list goes on for a long time.  I always buy them and then lose interest. 

Why? 

Maybe because I have yet to find one that gives intermediate satisfaction.  By that, I mean that it always seems like I'm trying to reach something but never getting there.  I don't want to wait 10 hours to be able to do cool things - I want to be able to do cool things from the beginning and have it get even better as I go along.

Currently, I'm trying to play LOTRO.  What's keeping me going (but that I lose sight of frequently) is the idea of being able to do things like walk through the Mines of Moria, up Mt. Doom, etc... (this is not the time or place to tell me these things aren't possible if they aren't!!)

I'm willing to buy anything and give it an honest shot.  However, I'm starting to lose that willingness, after so many that I have been unable to love.

Now, I HAVE played through and enjoyed Diablo II and Dungeon Siege - more ARPGs.  For some reason, I can't get into Titan Quest, though.  frown  I really want to like it...

Maybe I just have gaming ADHD.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »

Sounds like you just need to use a cheat code early on in the game to give you a few more level ups early on.

RPGs are about balanced experiences as you level up, you always start off less capable.

You could try STALKER, which isn't quite an RPG, but it is very RPG-like and you can do quite a bit early on.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:12:12 AM »

Final Fantasy Tactics for PSOne. Always loved the building up in that game.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

Quote from: Clay on June 13, 2007, 12:40:13 AM

I have tried and own:
BG I/II
Icewind Dale
Shenmue
Planescape Torment
Fallout I
Neverwinter Nights I/II
Okami
Bully (ditto)
Final Fantasy X
Oblivion
Morrowind
Golden Sun
KOTOR

That's a pretty comprehensive list and if some of those didn't grab you, I'm not sure what will.  When I was reading your list, I was thinking of KOTOR, but then I saw it listed at the end.  I'd suggest trying that one again.  Or pick up Jade Empire (for the PC, the load times are shorter) and see if the asian theme strikes your fancy.

Pretty much all RPGs start out slowly.  They have to build the universe, tell the opening story and your character can't be super-duper at the start.  So (depending on the overall length) you have to get through the first 5-15 hours before things really kick in.  And you have to keep playing because otherwise you'll forget the storyline and the quests you're working on.  If I take any kind of lengthy break, I stop playing the game almost entirely.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:06:34 AM »

Quote from: Clay on June 13, 2007, 12:40:13 AM

My mother, she's a nice woman and loves me very much.

I have tried and own:
BG I/II
Icewind Dale
Shenmue
Planescape Torment
Fallout I
Neverwinter Nights I/II
Okami
Bully (ditto)
Final Fantasy X
Oblivion
Morrowind
Golden Sun
KOTOR

Well, your list has most of the big ones already, so if those didn't grab you . . . maybe you could find the latest Wizardry title in a bargain bin somewhere?  I believe its Wizardry VIII, but I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.  It was a fun game, IMO, although combat would be overwhelming eventually.  But thats about the only addition I can think of at the moment.  Oh, unless you could get your hands on a copy of one of the older Ultimas - U VII would be a good choice.  I'd say try to force yourself to be a little patient with one, and invest some time before giving up on.  Its the nature of RPG's to start you out kind of weak and puny, thus allowing you to develop your character kind of as you see fit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 04:43:18 PM by Knightsabre » Logged

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:29:51 PM »

Clay,

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I too love RPGs but have difficulty in sticking with them.  For me it comes down to this:  can I care about the characters.  I usually know right off if I can relate to and care about the characters.  If I can then I'm off and running.  Even so, it takes me months to play and finish an RPG.  RPGs are very time consuming and it boggles my mind how some people can finish them in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Case in point.  Right now I'm playing Enchanted Arms on the X360.  I've been playing it since late last year.  I got attached to the characters rather quickly in the game and so till this day I'm still playing it and I'm about 70% complete.  What is pushing me on besides the good story?  I want to know what happens to the characters in the end.  Plus, there is no need to rush an RPG.  I don't care if it takes me a year to play one.

I have also bought and tried many of the games on your list and I have finished none of them with the exception of KOTOR.  As a matter of fact, KOTOR 1 & 2 are the only RPGs that I have EVER completed on PC or console in my life.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »

Have you tried Final Fantasy XII (PS2)?  That's about as good as RPG's get, in my opinion.  Lots of character building options, fun combat, epic story, beautiful graphics, an amazing gameworld, etc, etc.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »

Quote from: Belgedin on June 13, 2007, 04:12:12 AM

Final Fantasy Tactics for PSOne. Always loved the building up in that game.

For the love of god Clay, don't follow his advice. No offense to Belgedin (FFT is a superlative game worthy of play), its insanely long, the intro itself could make rocks erode and streams dry up. the battles are hard quickly, the progression is slow.

What you need is a quick and easy action RPG to get into things. Let me think about it. I also recommend trying FFX again, and KOTOR.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

I mean, I don't really want to kick ass all the way through from the start... I would just love to have an occasional battle where I can dominate without fear of being creamed by the next best baddy.  It feel so much like work with little reward in the combat department.  Maybe I'll try KOTOR again, since everybody highly recommends it.  My main problem with FFX is the inability to save when I need to go do something else.  I can't stand putting 2 hours into something, only to die when the next save point is in sight and have to go back and do it all over again.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Clay on June 13, 2007, 01:57:07 PM

I mean, I don't really want to kick ass all the way through from the start... I would just love to have an occasional battle where I can dominate without fear of being creamed by the next best baddy.  It feel so much like work with little reward in the combat department.  Maybe I'll try KOTOR again, since everybody highly recommends it.  My main problem with FFX is the inability to save when I need to go do something else.  I can't stand putting 2 hours into something, only to die when the next save point is in sight and have to go back and do it all over again.
Wow Clay I don't really understand the save issue with FFX. Other than the intro and a few other scattered areas in the game, I think the longest I remember being without a save point was maybe 30 minutes (and the intro was only about 40). Give it another shot. Also, let me know if you want some tips for KOTOR builds to maximize your character.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

Cool, thanks, Calvin.  Maybe I plod along slowly in games and hence the 2 hrs. 

Today I'm playing the "pack your apartment because you're moving" RPG and it is my least favorite ever.  Ever.  Did I say "ever" yet?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »

Quote from: Clay on June 13, 2007, 04:24:05 PM

Today I'm playing the "pack your apartment because you're moving" RPG and it is my least favorite ever.  Ever.  Did I say "ever" yet?

I'm starting my character in that RPG on the 30th and then doing it AGAIN on August 1st whenI move cross country. Your pain is felt.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 13, 2007, 04:38:43 PM

I'm starting my character in that RPG on the 30th and then doing it AGAIN on August 1st whenI move cross country. Your pain is felt.

Yeah but the level-ups are sweeeettttt!
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 07:19:31 PM »

This level up involves me, at 33, moving back in with my parents.  Not sweet.  frown

Swanee
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 11:21:01 PM »

Dungeon Runners http://www.dungeonrunners.com/
LooneyLand 2 http://www.hamumu.com/game.php?game=LL2&src=indexname
unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Clay on June 13, 2007, 07:19:31 PM

This level up involves me, at 33, moving back in with my parents.  Not sweet.  frown

Yeah, I hit that part of the game a few years ago.  Hopefully you won't have to grind XP for as long as I did  icon_frown

The game did end up getting much better after that part was over, however!
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »

I'll be in a different zone on a different server by the time I hit level 34.

(dorkiest comment I have ever written award)

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »

Based on what you DID like, you should try Divine Divinity and Guild Wars.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 04:18:09 AM »

Lesse:
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Shadow Hearts

Lets get a few questions in here...

1) how much fighting do you want vs how much strategy?
2) does your "leveling up" and getting buff mean you expect this kind of massive gains every three levels until you are a god?
3) Would you be willing to fight a bajillion mobs for your level up's or more of a mildly quick gains?
4) storyline: do you even care?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 05:51:22 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 13, 2007, 04:38:43 PM

you're moving cross country?  where too?  no where near here, right?  paranoid

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on June 18, 2007, 04:18:09 AM

Lesse:
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Shadow Hearts

Lets get a few questions in here...

1) how much fighting do you want vs how much strategy?
I like both fighting and strategy.  I don't really like games that require the reflexes of a ninja in order to execute crazy combos that are the only way to win.  That's not fun to me.

2) does your "leveling up" and getting buff mean you expect this kind of massive gains every three levels until you are a god?

No, I don't need massive gains, necessarily.  What I enjoy is the ability to feel that I am progressing.  In the bits of a lot of RPGs that I have played, I always felt like I had just barely enough power/strength to take out the next enemy, all the way through the game.  Sometimes, it is nice to be able to say, "Yeah!  Take that!  I kicked your butt!" before moving on to the next tough challenge.  Maybe I'm being too picky in this regard.

3) Would you be willing to fight a bajillion mobs for your level up's or more of a mildly quick gains?

As long as it remains engaging, I don't care how many mobs there are, but as soon as it becomes a grind, then I start to lose interest quickly.

4) storyline: do you even care?

Actually, I care a lot.  I'm a little tired of the rote old traditional fantasy setting, but an engaging story is good.  Are there any good RPGs that take place in space and/or sci-fi setting other than KOTOR?

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »

Guild wars is nice because it's pay once, and it keeps getting developed. Get bored with it? Set it down for a while. In the mood? Pick it up again, might be new and interesting things to do. Or you're interested in a different type of character this time around. I haven't played it in a bit, currently back in WoW, but it still resides on my hdd. Plus, their streaming technology is truly awesome, and makes the game a dream to keep up to date. Just do the purchase online and download the entire client. You can start in just a few minutes. (it doesnt have to complete the download to start playing)

You might be able to pick it up a lot cheaper somewhere else, not sure.

(warning for people with capped bandwidth that this style of install is not necessarily economically sound biggrin )

Atomic

(edit: sorry, missed the previous posting requesting sci-fi stuff)
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 02:50:17 AM »

Quote from: Clay on June 18, 2007, 04:43:24 PM

Actually, I care a lot.  I'm a little tired of the rote old traditional fantasy setting, but an engaging story is good.  Are there any good RPGs that take place in space and/or sci-fi setting other than KOTOR?

Sadly, SciFi is VERY neglected in the RPG genre.  I have no idea why, either, but it's pushing me toward fantasy burnout.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 03:02:09 AM »

I think a great game to try would be Fable. It's cheap, very easy to pick up, and it has a very unique and fun sense of progression. As you progress, you gain certain physical appearances depending if you are good, evil, good with a sword, magic, or bow. Combat system is fun and easy to pick up. The biggest complaint is the game lacks variety, which sucks for an RPG. However, variety does not seem to be your biggest problem, you just need to get into it. Fable can be enjoyed in a quick period of time, only being about 15 hours long with the expansion included in it (Lost Chapters).

That being said... I think it's a perfect choice. Easy to pick up, a very cool setting, some nice graphics, you name it. Not your typical RPG, mind you.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:47 AM »

You just might be one of those guys who likes the "idea" of a RPG, but when it comes down to playing whats available it leaves you feeling flat.

It might be a case of games not living up to your "mental" picture of what you wish they were.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: