http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:49:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me pick my classic game replay for the summer  (Read 854 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »

**crossposted from OO**

The last few summers, I've picked a classic game that I either never played or never finished back in the day.  Started with the original Thief three years ago, Baldur's Gate II two years ago, and Planescape Torment last summer.  These playthroughs have been an absolute blast, and now I need a new one to run through this year.  Here's what's on my list:

Fallout 2:  I've started this one about 4 times now, but never made it more than a couple hours without getting sidetracked by something else.  However, I think the widescreen mods will help (they did wonders for Planescape).  I picked up a copy through GOG.com.

Arcanum:  Always wanted to try this one, but never got around to it.  I heard it was a buggy mess when it was released, but that there were some fan patches that made it much more playable.  Very intrigued by this one, curious what the hive mind has to say.  E-bay prices seem pretty reasonable.

Vampire:  The Masquerade:  I actually got a fair ways into this a couple years ago, but got lost in one level with respawning zombies and just gave up.  Might be worth another look.  I've got it on Steam, would just need to load it.

Freedom Force:  This is another game that I've tried a few different times, but it always seemed to be right around the time something else came out and I would give up.  Picked it up on the Steam sale a couple weeks ago, maybe it's time to give it a dedicated shot.

System Shock 2:  I typically don't care much for FPS games, but thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock.  I kept hearing it was the "spiritual successor" to SS2, so maybe that one would be worth a look.  E-bay prices are awfully steep though...

Icewind Dale 2:  I loved the first IWD, but for some reason never got around to finishing the second one.

Chrono Cross (PS1):  Yet another game I put close to 30 hours into, got stuck, and never finished.  Probably worth a replay just for the music alone. smile

Knights of the Old Republic:  Best Buy has a Best of Star Wars PC that includes KotOR.  I beat this on X-Box as a goody two-shoes Jedi, but never got around to either trying it on PC or playing as the bad guy.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Suggestions (I'm open to any other games as well)?  I obviously prefer RPG's, but maybe there's one I didn't think of.  Also, anyone know if any of the PC titles have trouble running on XP?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »

if you've never played it go with System Shock 2, if you can find an affordable copy.  otherwise KotOR as a bad guy is a blast.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:07 PM »

System Shock 2.  Even if you're not into 1st person, it is so worth it.  It's less a shooter than Bioshock.  If you want to go way retro, find the first system shock.  In fact, I might do that too!  There are also updates to SS2 that improve graphics, if I find the links I'll post them here.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »

Well since you mentioned classic, I'd personally rule out Vampire Masquerade. Despite it being an excellent game worth playing, IMO being a source engine 2 game it's a bit too new to be considered a classic. Out of all your other choices I'd say it comes down to System Shock 2 or Fallout 2, and since you enjoyed Bioshock I'd give the nod to SS2 . All of your other choices are excellent though and I'm also someone who hasn't yet played Chrono Cross, so that one would rank high for me too.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »

I'd say you should definitely play Fallout 2. The others you mention are great games, but they just can't measure up to the glory that is Fallout. The first few hours are rough to get through, but stick with it and you'll suddenly realize why everyone becomes so enthusiastic when the game is brought up.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »

Fallout 2 and Freedom Force could both be played.  They are not too terribly long like Arcanum and IWD 2.  They are both  a nice change of pace from typical RPGs as well.  You will have a good time!

morlac00 on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »

Leaning towards Fallout 2, so I fired it up this afternoon to test out my hi-res mods and ran through the first temple area.  When I missed the Lesser Scorpion for about the 20th time and it killed me (again), I found myself wondering if I have the patience for something like this right now.  Will have to ponder a bit...

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »

Icewind Dale.

I lost both Bioforge and System Shock 1. I had originals ARGH!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 14, 2009, 07:22:12 PM

Well since you mentioned classic, I'd personally rule out Vampire Masquerade. Despite it being an excellent game worth playing, IMO being a source engine 2 game it's a bit too new to be considered a classic. .

Bloodlines is Source, Masquerade is/was a custom engine.  I got stuck in Masquerade on the last Medieval level, and would love to return to this, if it worked well in vista and was widescreen.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »

System Shock 2 is fantastic. Also, while maybe not classic, if you play Vampire Masquerade play as Malkavian and you'll be in for a treat. It is almost a completely different game.  Those are both on my list (although I'll have to find a copy of System Shock, not sure I still have mine).

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:30:02 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 14, 2009, 11:46:29 PM

Well since you mentioned classic, I'd personally rule out Vampire Masquerade. Despite it being an excellent game worth playing, IMO being a source engine 2 game it's a bit too new to be considered a classic. .

Bloodlines is Source, Masquerade is/was a custom engine.  I got stuck in Masquerade on the last Medieval level, and would love to return to this, if it worked well in vista and was widescreen.

Actually Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is Source 2 and Vampire the Masquerade Redemption is a custom engine. But yeah, if Gratch was referring to VtM Redemption that would qualify more as a classic. That said, I though Bloodlines was a much better game that Redemption.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 04:28:59 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 14, 2009, 09:36:46 PM

Leaning towards Fallout 2, so I fired it up this afternoon to test out my hi-res mods and ran through the first temple area.  When I missed the Lesser Scorpion for about the 20th time and it killed me (again), I found myself wondering if I have the patience for something like this right now.  Will have to ponder a bit...

Fallout 2 is infamous for its horrible opening section. Just force yourself through it, and you'll find the rest of the game isn't like that at all.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 04:46:24 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 15, 2009, 01:30:02 AM

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 14, 2009, 11:46:29 PM

Actually Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is Source 2 and Vampire the Masquerade Redemption is a custom engine. But yeah, if Gratch was referring to VtM Redemption that would qualify more as a classic. That said, I though Bloodlines was a much better game that Redemption.

the big bad thing about Bloodlines is that if you've played Half Life 2 or any source engine game where they had the finalized code to work with you realize how badly they wasted the engine in the effort to rush it out the door as close to HL2 as possible.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »

I would go KOTOR or IWD2.

I am playing BG2 currently and when that is done I am going Fallout2.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'm thinking I might actually put this on the back burner for now, since I have Dragon Quest V, Crimson Gem Saga, and Final Fantasy VII to play through right now.  Come to think of it, maybe I'll just count FFVII as my classic replay...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: